Sign in to follow this  
ckf

Studded or not?

Recommended Posts

My GSX is studded because they were on it when I bought it. No studs on my '05 Renegade. I'll agree that they do add a bit of safety, but I prefer my sleds stud-less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Studded. 135 kit sitting waiting to be installed on the new sled. I prefer to get up and go and stop quick on icy hard trails and for lake running. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All studded.  Once you go studded you never go back.:lol:

Edited by ArcticCrusher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a big safety deal. That's why they come with studs from the factory. :lol2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It's a big safety deal. That's why they come with studs from the factory. :lol2:

Vehicles don't come with snow tires either but millions of smart people put them on. :news:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Vehicles don't come with snow tires either but millions of smart people put them on. :news:

 

Peaple in Florida run snow tires? If you ride your sled on ice,pick it. I ride in snow,so I don't have the need for them. :bc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Peaple in Florida run snow tires? If you ride your sled on ice,pick it. I ride in snow,so I don't have the need for them. :bc:

Thats great, I ride hard packed trails that studs add a lot of traction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Thats great, I ride hard packed trails that studs add a lot of traction. 

I should get studded snow tires. I do encounter icy roads from time to time. :pc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

I should get studded snow tires. I do encounter icy roads from time to time. :pc:

Safety first. :bc:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

always studs, especially for the Gal. SAme area as Faggotster :bc:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

always studs, especially for the Gal. SAme area as Faggotster :bc:

:nudie:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dog runs studs,he is ready.

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My dog runs studs,he is ready.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using studs for 15 years. Can't see why I would go without.

I like the planted feel of studs and the pull of acceleration from having that great traction. No spinning tracks for me.

I have a friend who couldn't stand having studs. He liked to slide the corners. He said studs made the sled feel slow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Been using studs for 15 years. Can't see why I would go without.

I like the planted feel of studs and the pull of acceleration from having that great traction. No spinning tracks for me.

I have a friend who couldn't stand having studs. He liked to slide the corners. He said studs made the sled feel slow.

 

I've always set my sleds up to throttle steer. With studs the front end tends to want to plow in the corners if you get on the gas to soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ckf said:

I've always set my sleds up to throttle steer. With studs the front end tends to want to plow in the corners if you get on the gas to soon.

Michigan trails are always a "crap" shoot, no pun intended.  depending on recent weather you can have awesome powder but many times they get quite icy in which case you can't steer with the front or back.  Have to have the sled set up for the persons size, style and ability by adjusting weight transfer, front shocks, carbide length-type and track traction.

I used to love rear-steering the old 79 Pantera with the 3/4 cleats around corners, could even do a 360 in the right conditions!  (not necessarily on purpose either!) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2016 at 0:12 PM, ckf said:

I've always set my sleds up to throttle steer. With studs the front end tends to want to plow in the corners if you get on the gas to soon.

Get more ski pressure or bigger more aggressive carbides :news: studs make for better acceleration which is what its all about :) and give a major advantage in braking also  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We usually get a good amount of snow but the trails have a tendency to get beat to shit quick which leads to icy corners and bare patches after every single stop sign etc. Studs help tremendously in these situation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Studs all the way!

I never studded my 95 XLT due to the deep lug track (at the time) but quickly studded it before I gave the sled to my son.

My Vector came studded and after riding my XLT for years without them, I quickly remembered why I loved them so much.

HPIM1289 (Large).JPG

HPIM1223 (Medium).JPG

HPIM1910 (Large).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on always run studs, feel they should be mandatory if you ride groomed trails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.