Ride Report: 2020.5 Ski-Doo Renegade XRS 850

Ride Report:

2020.5 Ski-Doo Renegade XRS 850

Last evening, I finally had the chance to take Ski-Doo's mid-season release out for bit of a trial run. I was worried about what kind of conditions I'd run into here in Northwestern Pennsylvania, as we've had a rough year for snow. But thanks to some of the fantastic people at Willow Creek Snowmobile Club, I was able to get this sled on some relatively fresh groomed hard pack to see if the hype was real on the new suspensions. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint.

Let's clear the air...If you think the new RAS X and rMotion X are not "game changing" upgrades, then you need to reevaluate your thought. This thing is unreal!!

Let's start up front with the new RAS X suspension. I'll be first to say that I was skeptical here, as the mid-season sled does not have the new Pilot X Skis, nor does it come with a rebound adjustment clicker. (The lack of rebound I'll get to later). My skepticism was thrown out the window in a matter of a few miles. Even with the Pilot 5.7 skis and the stock 4" carbides, this thing flat out corners. No more unpredictability in this front end, as the new setup is simply "point-and-shoot" turning. Even in areas where we had less than optimal conditions, I was fully confident that this sled was turning where I wanted and when I wanted. Truly fantastic engineering from Ski-Doo on this, as front end predictability was a major gripe with the RAS III front. 

A quick note on the lack of the rebound clicker. I ripped into BRP a little about removing it from the package. They responded by saying that a majority of consumers didn't know how to use it, and in most cases, made their handling worse with lack of knowledge on how to properly adjust rebound. I will agree with that statement. However, there are many of us that do know how to use it, and it was an adjustment that made a ton of difference in the handling, depending on conditions. They also stated the use of a longer (1") and more robust shock shaft (old 12mm, new 16mm) made it increasingly difficult to add it to the new shock package. Fair enough. However, I'm still a little upset with it not being there, because whether you use it or not, it's a part of the premium XRS package that you pay a premium price for. That leads us to the most important question, do you need it? First impression is No. I didn't find myself in any situation where I wished I had it. The RAS X is that good! Hopefully we can get a few more miles to really push the limits of the suspension and see if the lack of rebound adjust-ability has any negative affects moving forward.

Onto the all new rMotion X rear suspension. How do you take the worlds best rear skid, that has dominated the industry for nearly a decade, and make it better? You design the rMotion X. This is a real gem here. We did manage to get into some bumpy terrain last night, and although it wasn't teeth chattering moguls for miles, it was enough to get a good feel for how it's going to perform in the rough stuff. It's safe to say that the new rMotion X performed at a ridiculous level that was well beyond expectations. Its very hard to explain how much better it is than the regular rMotion. The only comparison I could come up with is that it feels like an rMotion w/ Air Ride....but without the Air Ride. And to be honest, that's probably not giving this new rear skid enough credit. Absolutely phenomenal is what it is. I could only imagine how good it's going to be after a little fine tuning.

The rest of the sled:

The clutching feels more refined. Whether they made some subtle changes or not, I'm unsure. However, it did feel better than previous versions. 

The headlights are sufficient, but still as terrible as before. We all know it, we all gripe about it, and Ski-Doo needs to quit sitting on their hands with this. We shouldn't be forced to spend another $400 for better lighting on a $15,000 sled. Get it together, BRP!

Vibration overall is noticeably less. At idle, there has always been some noticeable windshield chatter, which goes away as soon as you rev up over idle. The mid-season release was much better than previous years in regards to this.

I've been a huge ice-ripper track fan for many years, so maybe I'm a little biased. However, I switched back over to studs last year and thought I'd never look back. If you asked me yesterday morning, I would have told you the 850 deserves, actually needs, a traditionally studded track. Last night has me rethinking all of that. The 1.5 Ice Ripper XT performed so well, I think my 2021 demo will be equipped with it. It's a great pair with this sled.

Parting thoughts:

If you're on the fence on purchasing this sled, don't be. It's amazing in it's current form and the lack of the Pilot X skis should not scare you away from buying one right now. The XRS standard gauge option is 100% sufficient and very well thought out. We do wish it had the new premium color gauge, but it wasn't quite ready for production. And don't forget that the new gauge is an $800 option, not a standard feature.

If you're considering a Spring Order, do it! You will not be disappointed next season. Hope you enjoyed this report, feel free to comment and share your thoughts. Ride Safe!

-- Mat Coast, Jim Coast Sales & Service

FB_IMG_1582577020450.thumb.jpg.4b1902d03429e0fac824e5e8212c372d.jpg

Seems like just hype to me. I remember when Doo revised their front suspension the last time (was it called RAS-II?) and honestly I couldn’t tell you the difference if you blindfolded me. We’ll see though. I’ll probably go to the 2021 demos here next week.

11 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I stopped reading at “huge ice ripper fan”

dude obviously doesn’t know a fucking thing about riding 

I don’t know the first thing about the IR, but I’ve heard it’s a good track by guys who know what they’re talking about. I planned on ordering the 1.5”. What’s wrong with it?

1 minute ago, Doos said:

I don’t know the first thing about the IR, but I’ve heard it’s a good track by guys who know what they’re talking about. I planned on ordering the 1.5”. What’s wrong with it?

Well he stated he was a fan of the ice ripper for years 

which means he’s saying he’s a fan of the ripsaw1 track with useless screw in junks

there is no more worthless setup than that

the ripper xt is a rip2 I believe and that will be a good track but the prestudded tracks are 100% useless and provide basically no more traction than any unstudded track

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Well he stated he was a fan of the ice ripper for years 

which means he’s saying he’s a fan of the ripsaw1 track with useless screw in junks

there is no more worthless setup than that

the ripper xt is a rip2 I believe and that will be a good track but the prestudded tracks are 100% useless and provide basically no more traction than any unstudded track

Ah, yeah I was never a fan of the RS, can’t believe Doo still uses them. I’ve heard that the prestudded tracks help a bit on icy roads and some in icy corners, but no substitute for studs. I’m going to try going without studs again so we’ll see how it goes.

20 minutes ago, rump-rider said:

Seems like just hype to me. I remember when Doo revised their front suspension the last time (was it called RAS-II?) and honestly I couldn’t tell you the difference if you blindfolded me. We’ll see though. I’ll probably go to the 2021 demos here next week.

I don't think it is. 

FB_IMG_1582551121025.thumb.jpg.71029788ae89f0082edc783dde23b0ec.jpg

Ras x Ras3

Read a lot about guys lowering the front ends of their XRSs by an inch and they say it helps out tremendously. By the looks of the picture, the Ras X sits lower and it is wider. 

Just now, Doos said:

Ah, yeah I was never a fan of the RS, can’t believe Doo still uses them. I’ve heard that the prestudded tracks help a bit on icy roads and some in icy corners, but no substitute for studs. I’m going to try going without studs again so we’ll see how it goes.

Are you getting back in the game next year? 

7 minutes ago, Doos said:

I spent a little time on the prestudded cobra the last 2 years and I can’t tell any difference from unstudded. They might work slightly better for a slow riding novice but that’s it as far as added traction

3 minutes ago, Doos said:

Yep, snowchecking something. 90% Gade 850 X, maybe the XRS. Waiting to see what Polaris comes up with.

I'd either go XRS or Adrenaline, or Enduro. (or TNT if you go MXZ).  The X package isn't worth it anymore. 

Just now, f7ben said:

I spent a little time on the prestudded cobra the last 2 years and I can’t tell any difference from unstudded. They might work slightly better for a slow riding novice but that’s it as far as added traction

I really didn’t think that little nub would add a great deal, maybe just slightly on the ice. I’m not worried about drag racing anymore so id like to avoid studs if possible, but if I miss them they’re easy enough to toss in.

3 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I'd either go XRS or Adrenaline, or Enduro. (or TNT if you go MXZ).  The X package isn't worth it anymore. 

I want the new gauge. If I decide the shocks suck I’ll buy a good set, I don’t think the KYB 40’s are worth a premium price.

Edited by Doos

Just now, Doos said:

I want the new gauge.

Then get the XRS   X package isn't anywhere close to what it use to be.

Shop around too. Prices will be all over the place 

Give Brandon at US27 in St John's a call.  You won't find anyone who will come close to his prices  

2 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Then get the XRS   X package isn't anywhere close to what it use to be.

Shop around too. Prices will be all over the place 

Give Brandon at US27 in St John's a call.  You won't find anyone who will come close to his prices  

I haven’t ruled it out, I like the idea of the lower front end of the X. If the shocks aren’t up to the task, a really good set isn’t that much more than the premium for XRS. I don’t see myself riding like I use to so I’m guessing the X will be fine.

7 minutes ago, Doos said:

I haven’t ruled it out, I like the idea of the lower front end of the X. If the shocks aren’t up to the task, a really good set isn’t that much more than the premium for XRS. I don’t see myself riding like I use to so I’m guessing the X will be fine.

For what you would pay for better shocks to add to the X, compared to what the XRS would be would cost, you'd be more money going with the X.  Plus you get more than just better shocks on the XRS 

Just now, SVT MXZ XRS said:

For what you would pay for better shocks to add to the X, compared to what the XRS would be would cost, you'd be more money going with the X.  Plus you get more than just better shocks on the XRS 

Yah but you have to have the xrs shocks slugged to get a decent ride height

1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

It’s about $1500 or so for a set of Elka’s set up how I would want them. Less whatever I sell the X shocks for, so it’s about a wash. 

Going to do my best to just ride and not fvck around with aftermarket shit, so in the end maybe the XRS is what I go with. Then I have to buy a windshield ha.

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yah but you have to have the xrs shocks slugged to get a decent ride height

Two of my buds are doing this as they say the trail manners of the xrs aint that great. :dunno:

My xrs rips the corners, I got it set up perfectly now imo. It’s not as flat cornering as an axys or procross but i can’t tell a difference between prestons X and my xrs as far as handling and ride height are concerned. Over the past few rides I’ve tweaked the rebound and got the rear skid dialed in, I’m down to 3 on the compression adjusters on both the front and rear track shocks and have the torsions set to 3 with couplers set to 2. Sag is perfect and it hooks pretty hard even with a rip 1. The 1.5” studs make all the difference in the world compared to the short 1.325s doo recommends which are useless with that track. 

@bussman can comment on handling coming from a cat. Poo and cat have the best front suspensions in the business as of now, Maybe the RAS X evens it out.

Edited by thewayout
  • Like 2