New Englanders are tough...lol

ckf

Fired by His Town, NH Police Chief Walks Home in Underwear — During Snowstorm

A police chief in New Hampshire, his town's only police officer, walked home in his underwear during a snowstorm Tuesday after he was fired and told to turn in his uniform.

The selectmen in the quaint town of Croydon, population roughly 700, had voted to immediately abolish the one-man police department and turn over emergency coverage to state police. 

"They said, 'We need your cruiser keys immediately, we need your uniform immediately,'" Richard Lee explained. "I sat down in the chair and took off my boots, took off my pants, they said, 'What are you doing,' and I said, 'I'm following your directive.'"

Without his clothes or his keys, he walked out of Town Hall and into a snowstorm, down the road, right past Roxanne Turner's general store.

"I just laughed," she said.

His wife picked him up, according to the Union Leader newspaper.

Lee said reporters have been calling him non-stop since Tuesday.

"I've never been on TV, I don't want to be on TV," Richard Lee said during our interview Thursday. He added that the town's move was "devastating."

Town leaders wouldn't sit down for an on-camera interview but gave us public documents and meeting minutes that call Lee an "ongoing source of increasing discord." 

Some residents, like Turner, agree.

"I don't feel we were getting the right coverage for the money we were paying," she said.

Lee said this isn't the way he saw his 40-year career coming to an end. But the most unexpected support is making this difficult time a little easier.

"There are people I have arrested who are posting, 'Good job, Richard, you were a fair man, you don't deserve this,'" he said. "It means the world to me. It really does."

Lee said he's now looking into whether the board's decision was even legal.

If he thinks he can fight it, he will, he said.

It is not yet known if criminal cases can be followed through without a police chief, according to the Union Leader.

Editor's note: An earlier version of this story said the town of Croydon had signed a contract with the Newport police department to provide police services. Such an agreement does not exist.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Our town of 4,500 has 5 full time cops, I'd rather we just let the county handle it like they did back home. There's no crime here and all they do is write speeding tickets all day on the state highway on the north side of town that the troopers could easily do...

2 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

Our town of 4,500 has 5 full time cops, I'd rather we just let the county handle it like they did back home. There's no crime here and all they do is write speeding tickets all day on the state highway on the north side of town that the troopers could easily do...

:lol: 

6 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

Same here a chief and four deputies.

I like it , our village has some trash and I feel pretty comfortable cruising through town with a roadie 

9 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

my town of 15k has 70 PT and 36 full time.  We are well protected

51 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Jackman has like 500 residents, and they have border patrol, county sheriffs, and staties patrolling at any given time.

We see more border patrol than anything else around here.

2 hours ago, 1jkw said:

Big deal, there is a retired cop by Sandy's, walks around in a skirt and a camo  balaclava.

You come up here and say that and you'll be walking around with a MAGLITE stuck in your ass, faggot. 

1 hour ago, GGNHL said:

Holy Fuck, that's like this level of protection :lol:

aHwV1h515XNROy3ysBTT7qR6OIDIolfJ--JqLzCW

well there is 50-100k people there on a nice day but it's outrageous TBH.  I get we are overstaffed to have people for the summer but still.  Theres also usually 10-15 state troopers on the strip on a Friday/Saturday night. 

Yes John most of the 70 PT are summer only officers.  probably 10-20% work during the rest of the year.  My buddy picks up a few shifts here and there off season and whatever he wants in the summer to pad his retirement.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Jackman has like 500 residents, and they have border patrol, county sheriffs, and staties patrolling at any given time.

how far from the border do they patrol? Can they do the same things local cops can? Like check for DUI, etc? 

Just now, frenchy said:

how far from the border do they patrol? Can they do the same things local cops can? Like check for DUI, etc? 

like when a certain Ewok get the 2500 stuck up on the guardrail of the bridge?  

They don't seem to really care about that stuff,  they just drive around and sit out in the woods doing nothing a whole lot.  

1 hour ago, frenchy said:

I think that they do have full powers to make any arrests and do help local agencies when needed.  I think it was a border patrol agent that shot and killed one of the escapees from the prison in upstate NY a few years ago. 

They can operate up to 90 miles from the border, or something like that. There was a lot of pushback when they setup a checkpoint on Interstate 93 in NH a few years back.  They were around 50 miles from the border at the time.  They usually get a few illegals and some DUI and drugs when they do setup a checkpoint around here.