Psilocybin therapy on 60 Minutes

SSFB

This episode aired back in December but I just got around to watching it. 

Some very interesting stuff about Psilocybin therapy and how it created some amazing change in people's lives. Some of them had transcendic experiences which were very beneficial and others had "Hell on Earth" type of experiences but in the end, most were happy they went thru the experience.

The FDA is helping to speed up the process of researching and approving psilocybin, a hallucinogenic substance in magic mushrooms, to treat major depressive disorder (MDD).

For the second time in a year, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has designated psilocybin therapy — currently being tested in clinical trials — as "breakthrough therapy," an action that is meant to accelerate the typically sluggish process of drug development and review. It is typically requested by a drug company and granted only when preliminary evidence suggests the drug may be an enormous improvement over already available therapy, according to the FDA.

Last year, the FDA granted "breakthrough therapy" status to psilocybin therapy in the still-ongoing clinical trials run by the company Compass Pathways, which are looking into psilocybin's potential to treat severe treatment-resistant depression, or depression in patients who have not improved after undergoing two different antidepressant treatments, according to New Atlas.

Related: Trippy Tales: The History of 8 Hallucinogens

CLOSE

Psychedelic Psilocybin For Depression Treatment?

Volume 0%

PLAY SOUND

Now, the FDA has granted another "breakthrough therapy" status to the psychedelic treatment, this time for a U.S.-based clinical trial conducted by the nonprofit Usona Institute, according to a statement from the company. This clinical trial, which includes 80 participants at seven different sites across the U.S., focuses on the efficacy of treating patients with MDD with a single dose of psilocybin.

There are more than 17 million people in the U.S. who have major depressive disorder, or severe depression that lasts more than two weeks, according to the statement. Psilocybin, with a single dose, could profoundly impact the brain and have long-lasting impacts after wiping away depressive symptoms, according to the statement. 

The phase 2 trial is expected to be completed by early 2021, and with the help of this status, Usona expects it to quickly move into a larger phase 3 trial, according to New Atlas. Around one in three treatments previously given a Breakthrough Therapy status have moved on to get market approval, New Atlas wrote.

"What is truly groundbreaking is FDA's rightful acknowledgement that MDD, not just the much smaller treatment-resistant depression population, represents an unmet medical need and that the available data suggest that psilocybin may offer a substantial clinical improvement over existing therapies," Dr. Charles Raison, the director of clinical and translational research at Usona, said in the statement. 

This isn't the first time that a psychedelic has been researched for its potential in treating depression. In March, the FDA approved a nasal spray depression treatment for treatment-resistant patients based on Esketamine, a substance related to ketamine — an anesthetic that's also been used as an illicit party drug. But much is still unknown even of this approved drug. Though fast-acting, it's unclear how Esketamine changes the brain and thus what its long-term effects will be, according to a previous Live Science report

https://www.livescience.com/psilocybin-depression-breakthrough-therapy.html

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Apparently for some people if they take it and have a divine experience it can be extremely life changing 

One lady with Stage 3 cancer had crippling depression and now she's not even scared of death she claims. :dunno:

Another quit smoking after 46 years. Some guy that was downing 20 cocktails per night hasn't had a drink since. 

5 minutes ago, SSFB said:

One lady with Stage 3 cancer had crippling depression and now she's not even scared of death she claims. :dunno:

Another quit smoking after 46 years. Some guy that was downing 20 cocktails per night hasn't had a drink since. 

Yeah I’ve heard Jordan Peterson touch on it. Pretty cool stuff 

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

cheating no one but your self on that one . 

It's hard to explain it to someone who has never done it. We were just talking about it yesterday. Definitely opens the mind. 

Just now, ACE said:

Maybe. I also find weed really boring. 

weed is not even on the same playing field .

each there own but lsd with some one who is a shal we say a experienced tour guide is  incredible . nothing else like it 

Just now, Ez ryder said:

weed is not even on the same playing field .

each there own but lsd with some one who is a shal we say a experienced tour guide is  incredible . nothing else like it 

I’m not doubting you. To me weed is barely a drug at all lol

Just now, bussman said:

Not the substance that made them that way being sold as a pharmaceutical no. 

As far as I know its experimental therapy. They have been treating troops with PTSD  using hallucinogenics and MDMA with some fairly good success. I don't understand the science but if it works why not? 

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

As far as I know its experimental therapy. They have been treating troops with PTSD  using hallucinogenics and MDMA with some fairly good success. I don't understand the science but if it works why not? 

The theory is that hallucinogenic substances can act as a form of factory reset for the brain. This research is long overdue.  

Just now, ACE said:

I’m not doubting you. To me weed is barely a drug at all lol

lol yeah some quality family paper is a diff story .

yrs ago soo pass ranch has a massive 4th of july deal . playboy called it best spot for 4th linec3 yrs in a row.

long story short I had a lot of paper with me . 10 packs /1000 hits always had 1/4th hit size strips on all 4 sides.  

I would tear those off for party hand outs . well I had a good size bag full of them . a guy was nervous about tripping his fist time . my bud who was home on leave was a bit drunk and was saying look it is just paper and was eating a small strip . well 5 min pass and the guy was like it is just let just paper just chew it . I look over and he is chewing a wad a bit smaller that a super ball .lmfao let's just say in short order he was nothing but a mumbling mess for about 20 hrs .

well a clean cut  kid who was working there some how came over got some tabs I start talking to him about the dead shows .

long story short 2 yrs later I am at a show in N CA this long beard hippy dude is like Ezra remember me ? it is the kid .  he is  on a bus with 2 old hippy growers and a goat  from N CA he had been touring and living in willow creek  .

guess those people left him there property few yrs back . crazy world 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

The theory is that hallucinogenic substances can act as a form of factory reset for the brain. This research is long overdue.  

They showed how sectors of the brain that were before cut off from each other are now better connected. 

Just now, SSFB said:

They showed how sectors of the brain that were before cut off from each other are now better connected. 

I’ll have to watch it. Sounds interesting. Had it not been for Nixon’s scheduling of drugs, this research would be 50 years along. Millions of people could’ve been helped and millions more not incarcerated. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

I’ll have to watch it. Sounds interesting. Had it not been for Nixon’s scheduling of drugs, this research would be 50 years along. Millions of people could’ve been helped and millions more not incarcerated. 

It was the 12/29 episode, FYI

10 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

it also acts a a trigger to total breakdown in to schizophrenia in some . crazy shit 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

talk about bullshit sentincing lsd convictions are beond harsh .

I know 1 guy never getting out and another who did 15 yrs in Nevada for just under 3 sheets . and they say crack sentences were harsh