I always kiss and tell!!!

f7ben

Just now, Rigid1 said:

Well once the motor is opened up it will tell the tail, if that rod bearing and crank are blued from lack of lube/heat it answers that. Wonder if doo tosses the good old white governor gear in there to see if it browns from excessive heat like most mfg's do..

Exactly, and what the dealer pointed out.

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Oil starvation. Damaged the lower end bearings. First time I put a load on the motor (the field 2 weeks later) it let go.  I really dont care what happened, I have a warranty and insurance.  One of them should cover it.  A simple low speed rollover shouldnt destroy a 15,000 dollar sled.

He didn’t elaborate on how the rollover could have caused it?

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, DriftBusta said:

Exactly, and what the dealer pointed out.

It was good you told him it was on its roof the ,:thumbsup: 

This would have been my first thing to go to, and if you had just said "i was riding along as normal and boom" I would say, no warranty for you you ran it out of oil..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Oil starvation. Damaged the lower end bearings. First time I put a load on the motor (the field 2 weeks later) it let go.  I really dont care what happened, I have a warranty and insurance.  One of them should cover it.  A simple low speed rollover shouldnt destroy a 15,000 dollar sled.

Just curious. Motor was original and unopened before this? 

We should probably talk about it if your warranty claim is denied

Edited by washedupmxer

8 minutes ago, washedupmxer said:

I didn't think he was right either but you can't tell him anything

Imo hydro lock slightly bent rod would cause hardcore ejection at high rpm more than low oil seizure

I'm thinking it somehow got hydro locked. It was locked up solid and probably bent a rod. I can't believe it would get oil starved in 10 seconds. Ive seen videos of engines running with no oil for long periods at high rpm. 10 seconds won't wash out the oil imo.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Just oil starvation and how theyre not designed to run upside down.  :lol: 

They are designed to shut down immediately upon low oil pressure though. To have cooked that bearing and journal to the point it blued would have taken some time without oil , like many seconds I’d guess. 

My gut says there was an issue with this motor all along

• Like 2

Just now, s pump said:

I'm thinking it somehow got hydro locked. It was locked up solid and probably bent a rod. I can't believe it would get oil starved in 10 seconds. Ive seen videos of engines running with no oil for long periods at high rpm. 10 seconds won't wash out the oil imo.

It was running when woolie shut it down. There is no way to hydro lock that motor like a wet sump would. The oil can’t “leak” up into the cylinders in any significant amount especially when it’s running

17 hours ago, Edmo said:

Doesn’t surprise me. Amg’s etec 800 was 5k plus labor.

$5,1?? was just parts.  But that was more than just the engine. The mag side DI was almost $500 and reeds were anorher $200. IIRC, the engine was close to $4,200.   But yea, that $5,1?? wasn't including labor.

33 minutes ago, s pump said:

Yes,the oil pump was pumping away while it was upside down. Any gravity oil return would pocket oil in places it shouldn’t be.

Just now, Woodtick said:

Yes,the oil pump was pumping away while it was upside down. Any gravity oil return would pocket oil in places it shouldn’t be.

Very little oil in the system, whatever pooled in the head could have ran down into a cylinder that had an open valve

• Like 1

It,s to bad all sleds didn,t come equipped with an engine kill switch that is attached to a tether cord and your coat. Might have killed the sled  engine quik enough that oil starvation wouldn,t have ruined the engine. Might be a great idea for all non trail riders to add one to their sleds.  

Just now, Frostynuts said:

It,s to bad all sleds didn,t come equipped with an engine kill switch that is attached to a tether cord and your coat. Might have killed the sled  engine quik enough that oil starvation wouldn,t have ruined the engine. Might be a great idea for all non trail riders to add one to their sleds.  

Ski Doos all come factory with a tether.  Running the motor WFO upside down for 10 seconds is one of the many reasons I wear one all the time.

Sucks to see any machine down during the season, especially a new one.  Hopefully Drifabusta gets it fixed quick and with minimal hassle from Ski Doo.  Be interesting to hear why it went down.  Certainly being hydrolocked was part of it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Very little oil in the system, whatever pooled in the head could have ran down into a cylinder that had an open valve

First thing I did when I Showed up at camp Friday night was check the oil level, which show it full.  i did that just to doublecheck it, since all I did was ride it it back to camp and park it in the trailer two weeks previous.  There were no puddles or smoke anywhere, until Saturday when it died.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

True, i probably should have been tethered.  That said, Polaris doesnt even come with a tether, so its not like its a universally accepted safety precaution.  We were just plonking along in some wormholes, i wasnt going more than 5 mph when it rolled.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

True, i probably should have been tethered.  That said, Polaris doesnt even come with a tether, so its not like its a universally accepted safety precaution.  We were just plonking along in some wormholes, i wasnt going more than 5 mph when it rolled.

Did you buy it in Jackman , or Ct?

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

I’ve seen guys dump them over going over a plow bank. Shit happens.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Did you buy it in Jackman , or Ct?

Jackman.  They always take great care of me.  Case in point.  Drop the thing off in the middle of riding season, when the service work is backed up a couple weeks out, and their service mgr who Im friends with texts me the issue about an hour later.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Ski Doos all come factory with a tether.  Running the motor WFO upside down for 10 seconds is one of the many reasons I wear one all the time.

Sucks to see any machine down during the season, especially a new one.  Hopefully Drifabusta gets it fixed quick and with minimal hassle from Ski Doo.  Be interesting to hear why it went down.  Certainly being hydrolocked was part of it.

We always connect ours as well 

15 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Sled still under warranty?  

33 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

First thing I did when I Showed up at camp Friday night was check the oil level, which show it full.  i did that just to doublecheck it, since all I did was ride it it back to camp and park it in the trailer two weeks previous.  There were no puddles or smoke anywhere, until Saturday when it died.

Usually when they tip or flip the worst is some oil runs into the air box and it gets consumed if it wasn’t a lot. 

Your situation is a strange one 

59 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Sled still under warranty?  

Yup.

43 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Usually when they tip or flip the worst is some oil runs into the air box and it gets consumed if it wasn’t a lot. 

Your situation is a strange one 

Agreed, and when i bogged Sat coming across the field the first time i thought. (Hoped) maybe it was just sucking some of that oil into the injectors. Still dont know what that was cuz it seemed to perk right back up and run fine.  In hindsight I think it was a rod or crank bearing seizing up

• Thanks 1