Damn router trouble

ckf

I bought a new modem and wireless router to replace the rentals from the cable company. i got the router activated and working fine.  When i plug the new tci router in to the modem I can't get it to assign an IP, so it won't work. my old linksys works fine plugged into the new modem. When i plug the new router into the old linksys it assigns the IP and works fine. There must be some sort of ip or mac conflict when plugged directly into the modem. Any ideas?

20 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

So you are supposed to be getting a public DHCP IP on the WAN of your new router but are not?

What WAN address does the old router get?

You are certain both routers are set to DHCP on WAN?

Neal

This is next level nerd talk LaNelashi

29 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

So you are supposed to be getting a public DHCP IP on the WAN of your new router but are not? 

What WAN address does the old router get?

You are certain both routers are set to DHCP on WAN?

Neal

Correct  the only way to get the router to obtain an IP on the wan is to run it through the old  wrt54 that runs my webcam 

Yes both are set to dhcp

28 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i had to call when i went to owning my own.  

The modem activated fine. My trouble is the new wireless router. 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

This is next level nerd talk LaNelashi

Nerds make the world go around  :bigfinger:

:lol:

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I bought a new modem and wireless router to replace the rentals from the cable company. i got the router activated and working fine.  When i plug the new tci router in to the modem I can't get it to assign an IP, so it won't work. my old linksys works fine plugged into the new modem. When i plug the new router into the old linksys it assigns the IP and works fine. There must be some sort of ip or mac conflict when plugged directly into the modem. Any ideas?

I am kind of supersized with the forums you run and stuff you were not more sophisticated. I think this is basic shit I bought all separate components and have changed a couple modems and a couple routers and I think if it wont let you use a dedicated IP then it must be the unit cuz anyone I have used lets you do that on the LAN. :dunno: 

2 hours ago, ckf said:

Plug laptop directly into the modem, do you get an IP?

5 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Plug laptop directly into the modem, do you get an IP?

Yes, the modem works fine. If i connect my laptop in to the modem with an ethernet cable it works fine. I just can't get the router to get assigned an IP unless I piggyback it off another router. 

25 minutes ago, Momorider said:

I am kind of supersized with the forums you run and stuff you were not more sophisticated. I think this is basic shit I bought all separate components and have changed a couple modems and a couple routers and I think if it wont let you use a dedicated IP then it must be the unit cuz anyone I have used lets you do that on the LAN. :dunno: 

It has to be some sort of conflict because the router and modem both function. 

3 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Does the new router use the same ip space on the lan? If so, that’s the issue

I tried changing the last digit of the router IP to a .2 from a .1 but didn't hekp. Both the .1 and .2 IP addresses do work when the  new router is run through the  old router. I just find it odd that it won't work when it is connected directly to the modem,  but does work when it's connected to another router 

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

I tried changing the last digit of the router IP to a .2 from a .1 but didn't hekp. Both the .1 and .2 IP addresses do work when the  new router is run through the  old router. I just find it odd that it won't work when it is connected directly to the modem,  but does work when it's connected to another router 

Reset to factory and then try again.  Solves many.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

Change the entire lan network range on the router. Use 172.31.0.1 for the router lan IP

Set the dhcp range to use 172.31.0.100-200

• Like 1