****Official 2020 iron dog race thread***

BOHICA

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

A sad development for Team 3 Boney/Unruh came in the form of them having to watch one of their Arctic Cat ZR 6000 R XC 600’s burn to the ground after it went up in flames due to over-filling the fuel tank which caught fire. Nobody was injured but Team 3’s 2020 Iron Dog has come to and end at the Bible Camp fueling station.

1CB1704F-4ADB-4270-A69D-472F6ECC0BC9.jpeg

Arctic cats are notorious for shooting flames but that is really shooting flames!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Team 5 hit a tree coming out of Kaltag. They limped back to the checkpoint and took their 6hr flex layover. Parts are in route so they will be back on the trail sometime soon hopefully. 

Hopefully no injuries 

Team 39 had to scratch this morning. Robbie had a big get off yesterday on the sea ice. Hit a pressure ridge wrong and got bucked off the sled. He landed wrong and broke his collarbone. Sled suffered no damage. 

Robbie and Cody rode 200 more miles to Kotz and declared layover. When they got up this morning Robbie was in to much pain to continue. 

So sad for these guys. It looked like they had passed Team 7 for the lead leaving Unalakleet. They were on a very clean run. Just goes to show how quickly things can change. 

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Attention @ACE @Zambroski @bussman

Sorry to bring more bad news but 2020 will go down as another year the not one single Arctic Cat finishes the Irondog. 

Better luck next year guys. 

Lesser amount of arctic cats have scratched then poo’s......  correct?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

As long as buttcocks sled stays so reliable, I’m happy.

Mine has only started on fire once, and it was with Bhen. Coincidence? I think not. :lol: 

My sled has been perfect otherwise. 

:bc:

Edited by bussman

2 minutes ago, bussman said:

Mine has only started on fire once, and it was with Bhen. Coincidence? I think not. :lol: 

My sled has been perfect otherwise. 

:bc:

That you've noticed... :news:

Wow. Things are getting crazy on the coast. The trail south from Kotz must have been horrible. Teams are pulling into Koyuk with broken headlights, broken shocks, broken a-arms, blown out mufflers, burnt up side panels, limping and much more. A few more teams scratched after leaving Kotz. 

Planes are grounded because of zero visibility. 

Unconformed report of Team 7’s support plane is “down” about 10 miles outside of Koyuk. Heard in the background that people were hoping everyone was OK. 

Its snowing on the coast. The run to Nome is slow. Even Team 7 has slowed their pace greatly. 

The onlookers in Koyuk are doing an incredible job with Facebook Live video feed of all the teams coming through, fueling up and doing repairs. Some of the best coverage ever. The locals in Koyuk are also talking to every team reassuring them of the proper way to get to Golovan and beyond. The overland trail up and over the hill is the only passable way from what Im hearing on FB Live. 

The leaders should be getting to Nome within an hour or so. Its hard to say. They know they have been going really slow but they have no idea if their lead on second is getting bigger or smaller. 

It’s been confirmed that Team 7’s plane went down outside of Koyuk. Pilots are fine but the plane is bent.

Looks like Team 6 is stopped near when the plane is down.  Maybe they are lending assistance.

Team 5 went by a few minutes ago.  They would have stopped unless the pilots told them to go one  

I dont have much more info than that. At least nothing confirmed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Team 14 replaced left side AArms and shock on one sled and did some other work on the other in Koyuk. 

They made very quick work of the AArm swap and are back on the trail now. Working outside at the checkpoint, snowing, cold, helmets on, gloves off, getting it done. Using all their own tools too. Team 14 plane is grounded 300 miles away because of weather.  I heard Team 10 allowed them to use parts out of their plane in Koyuk  

FB Live was there covering everything.  Pretty impressive no doubt. 

Edited by AKIQPilot

As of writing, Team 7 is barreling toward Nome on the edge of the Norton Sound at about 70 mph, and will become the first team to the halfway point in the 2020 Iron Dog and just 61 minutes separates the 2nd-8th teams. It couldn't get much closer than that considering Nome is 1286 miles from the starting line.

• Like 3

Thanks Kyle. 

Looks like all the X Partners will arrive in Nome 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  Pretty funny that they are all arriving together.   Like going to a christmas party and seeing your X and they are doing just as good as ever. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

why aren't they required to have extinguishers out while fueling,  seems like it would be a basic requirement given how quickly they are trying to get it done.  

Oh they do. There are 2 extinguishers per fueling station. 

Not sure why those sleds burned up.  I think the Poo was on down the trail when it caught fire but not positive. 

I was seeing lots of chatter on Facebook about snow and trail conditions from Ruby south through Poorman and Ophir and on to McGrath. The locals are reporting massive snow and no trail for several hundred miles. Lots of talk about going out with long tracks and breaking trail the day before but not sure exactly how that will work. Its still dumping in some of those areas now. 

Same story further south through the Alaska Range and on toward the finish line. Dumping snow on the north and south side of Puntilla and all the way to the finish line. Obviously as teams get a ways south of Puntilla the trails will be open because locals use them for daily transportation but from the Burn to Shell Lake may be rough going on Saturday or whenever the guys come through.