And I thought new car prices were stupid

Tomas.

So for those of you that are not familiar with the 1998-2002 Nissan R34 GTR, a quick run down. It is a 2.6L straight 6 twin turbo, 6 speed manual, AWD, with all wheel steering (optional depending on what level of gtr).

It is a halo car made super famous in North America by Paul Walker in the early fast and the furious movies. It was never made available in North America or any similar crossover model. 

It is a stellar car for its time but has been blown into outer space by fanbois with too much money. 10 years ago you could pick up a decent one for around $30,000 cad shipped from Japan. 

This one sold at auction in Japan last night. It is probably a 2001-2002. The V spec 2 version is track orientated version but not the most hard core. It has 5,700 original kms and it's auction grade is 5/A which means it is basically as good as brand new. The Bayside blue colour is very sought after. 

It sold for $246,000 cad last night. What the fuck........ 

I love me some 90's Japanese sports cars but that is full retard.

Unfortunately they are all going this way because they are inching closer to legal for import in to the USA and you guys have a lot of people with either too much money or easy access to too much money lol.

A lot of importers up here are offering free storage in Canada until the car becomes legal for usa import. Since we only have a 15 year (25 for Quebec) import ban where you guys have a 25 year ban.

Crazy ass shit.

Screenshot_20200213-101038.png

Screenshot_20200213-101022.png

I own two RHD. They do have downsides but depending on what you are looking at, fantastic bang for buck, especially compared to North American Cars.

My brother in law has a RHD as well. So the usdm 2001-2005 Lexus ls430 is around $13,000cad used in Alberta. That is with 200,000+ kms. He picked up a 2001 Toyota celsior with 82,000kms on it and not a speck of rust anywhere, pretty close to a mint 2001 car for $5000 cad sitting in his driveway shipped from Japan. It is identical to the ls430. 

So say what you want about rhd. 90% of the people against them have never owned one or driven one for more than 20 minutes. 

I have owned my rhd 1997 WRX for over 4 years now. I got it at 89,000 kms and it now has 211,000. It has been an amazing car and it is still my daily. No plans on ever getting rid of it.

Edited by Tomas.

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Skylines are sweet ass cars. Classic looks. 

That they are.

I had a buddy that in the last 10 years has owned 5 skyline r32's and r33's. Never paid more than $3000 cad. Then 5 years ago bought a 1998 r34 gtt and it cost him $13,000. Now that gtt is worth $20,000 lol. Unfortunately he doesn't own it anymore.

1 minute ago, Tomas. said:

That they are.

I had a buddy that in the last 10 years has owned 5 skyline r32's and r33's. Never paid more than $3000 cad. Then 5 years ago bought a 1998 r34 gtt and it cost him $13,000. Now that gtt is worth $20,000 lol. Unfortunately he doesn't own it anymore.

I considered buying one before getting an M2. Cost made it prohibitive. Good specimens were crazy. 

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I considered buying one before getting an M2. Cost made it prohibitive. Good specimens were crazy. 

Yup. I wish I had a lot more fu money. There are a few 90's JDM gems I would love to get my mitts on. Unfortunately they are being priced out of the lower 75% of buyers.