Where do we find info about trail closures???

Renegade X

I noticed this morning on the way to work that the trail running down a portion of the 35 hwy to the ganny has been fenced off and a trail closed sign has been put up.  I can't find any info in regards to it?  I wonder if it is just the section of farm field that is closed?  I sure hope that the public will be notified of all trail closures before the season starts and not just find out when we come to the trail on our sleds cause it doesn't say anything of the interactive map or any where for that matter

10 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

I noticed this morning on the way to work that the trail running down a portion of the 35 hwy to the ganny has been fenced off and a trail closed sign has been put up.  I can't find any info in regards to it?  I wonder if it is just the section of farm field that is closed?  I sure hope that the public will be notified of all trail closures before the season starts and not just find out when we come to the trail on our sleds cause it doesn't say anything of the interactive map or any where for that matter

I'm sure that when the snow starts and the volunteers start to update the trail status on the interactive map you will find that closed trails will remain red. I anticipate that the local club may be trying to rescue the trail with the landowner and will not likely remove it from the map until all hope is lost. Or perhaps it means the trail is closed for ATV's as some trails are used by both sleds and ATV's. I have seen spots where a trail has been closed for ATV's and then opened for the snowmobile season. There are a lot of variables.

Then there are some that go and ruin things for everyone else ignoring trail closed signs and just keep on going. Last winter there was a trail reroute going into Midland just south of Hwy 12 at King St. For years many years the trail had run behind the Comfort Inn. There was a very visible Trail Closed sign and we watched countless people go past it without even slowing down or rethinking whether they should turn around or not.

40 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Call the club.

02, the nice fence they put sure doesn't look temporary.  

Arctic, you would think they would post something somewhere instead of getting a bunch of phone calls about it.  You can still get through this section along the side of 35 but I can't see a groomer going there.

Perhaps as the season starter actually gets closer, that section of the trail will be removed from the interactive guide, if not, it should be.....otherwise people will think that it is still Red for some other silly reason & not that the trail is really CLOSED.

Oh well... substantial fencing does suggest it will not be open and it happens every year where a land owner changes and the new owner doesn't want sleds there or the land owner is the same and no longer wants them there. One of the most common reasons I hear of for farm fields being closed is too many people ignoring the stay on trail signs and running through the middle of the field to play in the virgin snow. It is indeed unfortunate when we lose a trail and all the work that has gone on before and the work it will create for a reroute.

29 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I know of some trail closures around me and nothing posted yet.

12 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Ya a site would be nice to view.   I would add it to my site but getting that info would have to come voluntarily, there is no way anyone could just hunt down that info.

This is the problem... If people don't even know when the snow flies its gonna be bad

1 hour ago, Renegade X said:

This is the problem... If people don't even know when the snow flies its gonna be bad

The local club here in Barrie has a FB page. They listed a bunch of reroutes and permanent closures the other day. Maybe that club  you're referring to has a FB page. Or their own website.

Edited by 2strokemerc

On 11/8/2016 at 11:56 AM, Renegade X said:

Are you referring to the field that is just south of Durham Road 20?

1 hour ago, yarddawg said:

I hope there are some big northern loops open this year? Hoping to finally get from Timmins to Chapleau this season? Tired of Abitibi, and decided to just sled in Ontario. Hmmmmmmmmm?????

I thought last year some stuff opened back up in that neck of the woods????

41 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Yup it was open Chapleau to Timmins

I was just going to say that I thought last year a loop was still not really doable that way, I thought there were dead ends, but I just checked the online map, and although it shows Red now, there are trails on the map that do allow a loop.....I also ran trails last year that were officially closed north of Gowganda, but they were easily passable, which might have been the case for the other Red trails up and around that area, just depends who you talked too. 

I guess we will see what turns Green or Yellow once the snow flies!

I met a fellow in Parent last year from Timmins, he was pissed as he had to trailer to New Liskeard. He built some of the trails south of Timmins and it was red! Fingers are crossed boys, lets hope for a better season this year!!!

59 minutes ago, yarddawg said:

I met a fellow in Parent last year from Timmins, he was pissed as he had to trailer to New Liskeard. He built some of the trails south of Timmins and it was red! Fingers are crossed boys, lets hope for a better season this year!!!

I know for sure that the L143 trail last year was being completely rerouted, all new section of trail through the bush, we passed the one man/machine brusher, so I would think this year it should be GTG, but you never know, so many variables!

• Like 1