Did you hear?

Anler

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

There’s a segment that’s attached their emotional wagon to it. Happens with a lot of things. I don’t. I recognize it’s real and humans are creating a shift in climate. 

We are doomed if that's the case, regardless of what measures we try.

10 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Global warming is a done deal. All the evidence is in and there’s nothing more to decide. All that remains is deciding how to deal with it. While there’s several shrill sirens exaggerating future effects, it’s real  

Science is simply the observation of repeatable outcomes. Be it through trials, mathematics, or some other method of verifiable measure.  None of that exists with religion. 

Not really a wild observation. It’s been warming for 20,000 years 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Global warming is a done deal. All the evidence is in and there’s nothing more to decide. All that remains is deciding how to deal with it. While there’s several shrill sirens exaggerating future effects, it’s real  

Science is simply the observation of repeatable outcomes. Be it through trials, mathematics, or some other method of verifiable measure.  None of that exists with religion. 

Ummmm......the argument isn’t about global warming.  That an example of my “...gravity” statement.

Science is MUCH more than proving hypothesis.  Much of it is, in fact, faith based. These last few decades has shown that science is truly not settled....and the very ones preaching that it is are suspect, especially since they’ve found it easy to avoid the massive plates of crow along the way with revision all theories as they collect checks for their tainted, biased agenda driven “research”. All the while, making many “scientific” theories in science itself suspect.  Well done to our scientific community!!!!!

Religion is mostly all faith based. either you believe or you don’t.  But to shit on somebody’s beliefs because you don’t want to believe or, even worse, claim “science” as your own cult like religion is just silly. Most that believe in a higher power at least can argue their side somewhat effectively.  As Arctic Crisher has shown, most that argue their science can’t argue a fucking thing about it very well.  “but...Muh gravity.”  

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

We are doomed if that's the case, regardless of what measures we try.

Why are humans doomed? That’s speculation. Climate change is real. The observations are concrete and measurable. Whether the human race is doomed remains to be seen. I tend to look at it from the standpoint that there will be some large adjustments on earth. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Why are humans doomed? That’s speculation. Climate change is real. The observations are concrete and measurable. Whether the human race is doomed remains to be seen. I tend to look at it from the standpoint that there will be some large adjustments on earth. 

I mean Greta will be right.

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Nobody doubts climate change.  Science claiming it as their proven eureka theory is a fucking joke.  It’s like claiming you found that water is indeed wet!

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Ummmm......the argument isn’t about global warming.  That an example of my “...gravity” statement.

Science is MUCH more than proving hypothesis.  Much of it is, in fact, faith based. These last few decades has shown that science is truly not settled....and the very ones preaching that it is are suspect, especially since they’ve found it easy to avoid the massive plates of crow along the way with revision all theories as they collect checks for their tainted, biased agenda driven “research”. All the while, making many “scientific” theories in science itself suspect.  Well done to our scientific community!!!!!

Religion is mostly all faith based. either you believe or you don’t.  But to shit on somebody’s beliefs because you don’t want to believe or, even worse, claim “science” as your own cult like religion is just silly. Most that believe in a higher power at least can argue their side somewhat effectively.  As Arctic Crisher has shown, most that argue their science can’t argue a fucking thing about it very well.  “but...Muh gravity.”  

Science is based on a hypothesis that is proven through repeatable outcomes with accurate measurements and observations. True science is never soft. Anything else isn’t science. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I doubt that man is the main driver of the warming the earth has experienced in the last 120 years

I don’t doubt man plays a role in it.  I doubt it’s even close to as big of a role as we are being fed.  I also highly doubt we can reverse it or alter the warming trend with any real effectiveness. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Science is based on a hypothesis that is proven through repeatable outcomes with accurate measurements and observations. True science is never soft. Anything else isn’t science. 

You are, again, speaking of simple science. “gravity”.

Or, have we done a “repeatable outcome with an accurate measurement” of how the Earth was formed?  Shit!  How much did that cost!!?!?!

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

You are, again, speaking of simple science. “gravity”.

Or, have we done a “repeatable outcome with an accurate measurement” of how the Earth was formed?  Shit!  How much did that cost!!?!?!

I know no scientist that claimed that they know how the earth was formed. Several have reported theories. Some have theories on the age of the earth, core temperature, etc. those theories are based upon an assembly of known facts. Einstein postulated his theory of relativity while observing a train. He moved his mind, using a gift,  into a thought experiment. Years later chucks of his theory were observable through repeated measurements. Those elements stopped being a theory and became hard scientific facts. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

I know no scientist that claimed that they know how the earth was formed. Several have reported theories. Some have theories on the age of the earth, core temperature, etc. those theories are based upon an assembly of known facts. Einstein postulated his theory of relativity while observing a train. He moved his mind, using a gift,  into a thought experiment. Years later chucks of his theory were observable through repeated measurements. Those elements stopped being a theory and became hard scientific facts. 

Right.  But until proven...they are still only theories and it’s a safe bet that they will NEVER be proven.  Hence: faith in the science.  Your belief in what you want to believe doesn’t make it any better than somebody else’s belief in what they want to believe.  And sure as fuck doesn’t give anybody the right to push their beliefs while shitting on other’s beliefs.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Right.  But until proven...they are still only theories and it’s a safe bet that they will NEVER be proven.  Hence: faith in the science.  Your belief in what you want to believe doesn’t make it any better than somebody else’s belief in what they want to believe.  And sure as fuck doesn’t give anybody the right to push their beliefs while shitting on other’s beliefs.

:owned:

I’ll try not to fuck is this old joke I just remembered.

God and a scientist were debating on how life was created.  The scientist said he could do anything God could do.  God reached down, grabbed a handful of dirt and made a small animal.  The scientist, not to be outdone, grabbed his beaker and reached down for a handful of dirt himself.  God quickly interrupted and said, “Nope!  Make your own dirt.”

:lol:

Im sure I fucked it up but it’s still kinda funny.

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Faith is static. Belief in an invisible man in the sky. Sure, people pray to improve their conscious contact. But it still remains a static belief. 

Theoretical thinking is ever evolving. The testing of hypothesis. Always being challenged and put to the test. It’s about humans pushing their god given intelligence to the brink of exhaustion. Intelligence mixed with intuition and risk taking and later tested for repeatable results. The end result is hard science. 

Edited by spin_dry

Just now, spin_dry said:

Faith is static. Belief in an invisible man in the sky. Sure, people pray to improve their conscious contact. But it still remains a static belief. 

Theoretical thinking is ever evolving. The testing of hypothesis. Always being challenged and put to the test. It’s about humans pushing their god given intelligence to the brink of exhaustion. Intelligence mixed with intuition and risk taking and later tested for repeatable results. 

In other words, “the science is settled”???.....and “God given intelligence”?!?! is that what you actually meant to type?  Are you sure?

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

I’ll try not to fuck is this old joke I just remembered.

God and a scientist were debating on how life was created.  The scientist said he could do anything God could do.  God reached down, grabbed a handful of dirt and made a small animal.  The scientist, not to be outdone, grabbed his beaker and reached down for a handful of dirt himself.  God quickly interrupted and said, “Nope!  Make your own dirt.”

:lol:

Im sure I fucked it up but it’s still kinda funny.

No not at all, it actually has a deeper meaning as well.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

In other words, “the science is settled”???.....and “God given intelligence”?!?! is that what you actually meant to type?  Are you sure?

Science is settled. Either a high speed, hyper threading micro processor works or it doesn’t. It was developed by repeatable and measured experiments involving hundreds of minds. All curious, all intuitive, all imaginative, all able to work as a community. But in the end, the gadget works because of hard and settled science  

Edited by spin_dry

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

No not at all, it actually has a deeper meaning as well.

Indeed it does.  There’s a bit of a cheesy line read by Goldblum I remember from “Jurassic Park” that kinda hit home in the moment.

”God creates dinosaurs, God destroyed dinosaurs.  God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.”

It always stuck with me as a nice quip about the arrogance of man.