Industrial Accident - Nightmare stuff

F3600

12 minutes ago, F3600 said:

You occasionally hear of these types of accidents, talk about nightmares.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-woman-dies-after-getting-caught-in-raisin-processing-machine-police-say

Safety is huge these days and it's not going away.

My guess is to retro the equipment in there to sil 3 would take more than what the place is worth.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Safety is huge these days and it's not going away.

My guess is to retro the equipment in there to sil 3 would take more than what the place is worth.

In 2001 I was assigned to a process engineer to develop the SIL and LOPA criteria for the process facility I was working in. Some of the terms were a little strange to me at the time but our SIS’s and LOPA’s were all in place. Within a month or so BP realized this was a much bigger challenge than they first thought. Next thing you know I am helping 6 process engineers create the LOPA’s and SIF architecture for all of BP’s North Slope process facilities. 

Our plants were already very very automated and there were multiple layers of protection for every process. The SIL/SIS process just gave us a platform for being able to confirm the safety process worked and were robust enough to prevent an incident.  

It was really fun training process engineers on how our facilities worked and the multi layers of protection in place already. I learned a lot about the SIS, SIL, SIF and LOPA process. 

Over the last 11 years I've been exposed at the frontline of the evolution of industrial safety. From a company that prided itself on being cowboys and taking chances in its infancy to a fortune 200 company where safety is paramount. It's been an I teresting journey and safety really is everything.

What it really boils down to is company rules and how much are you paying me to assess and inherit risk. 

For $200 an hour I'm willing to do a lot more and bend a lot more rules than I am at $50 an hour. 

It's really that simple

22 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

In 2001 I was assigned to a process engineer to develop the SIL and LOPA criteria for the process facility I was working in. Some of the terms were a little strange to me at the time but our SIS’s and LOPA’s were all in place. Within a month or so BP realized this was a much bigger challenge than they first thought. Next thing you know I am helping 6 process engineers create the LOPA’s and SIF architecture for all of BP’s North Slope process facilities. 

Our plants were already very very automated and there were multiple layers of protection for every process. The SIL/SIS process just gave us a platform for being able to confirm the safety process worked and were robust enough to prevent an incident.  

It was really fun training process engineers on how our facilities worked and the multi layers of protection in place already. I learned a lot about the SIS, SIL, SIF and LOPA process. 

We just quoted a process control upgrade on an existing system in San Fran and at a min today it will be at sil 3.  I love the new safety controllers with sil 3 being implemented over Ethernet.

I was the only witness to a structural type of Collapse on a building we were bidding a job at. I dove clear,but my supervisor fell 14’ down into a small air shaft. Took the fire department 1 1/2 hours to get him out. He didn’t die but career ending injuries. It happened 4 years ago and I’m still getting called into depositions. From experience,never get hurt on a job,and more importantly,never be a witness to a job site accident involving death or a multi million dollar plus claim. The building owner named me in the law suit . Shit gets ugly with big money job site accidents.

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Over the last 11 years I've been exposed at the frontline of the evolution of industrial safety. From a company that prided itself on being cowboys and taking chances in its infancy to a fortune 200 company where safety is paramount. It's been an I teresting journey and safety really is everything.

What it really boils down to is company rules and how much are you paying me to assess and inherit risk. 

For $200 an hour I'm willing to do a lot more and bend a lot more rules than I am at $50 an hour. 

It's really that simple

It’s why I get paid the wage I get. We do a lot of risky jobs,but safety is #1. That first pic looks nuts? If you look under the handrail,you and your tools are tied off to that cable. No more cowboy shit on job sites.

5ADA30BD-7322-4B89-821B-01C42C4E7AAB.jpeg

CA888393-AA13-4026-BBD7-910182E452EE.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It’s why I get paid the wage I get. We do a lot of risky jobs,but safety is #1. That first pic looks nuts? If you look under the handrail,you and your tools are tied off to that cable. No more cowboy shit on job sites.

Fuck that. No way. 

15 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My days of climbing silos is over.

Jesus.

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It's all about getting used to the optics 

Going across a roof that has deep snow on it. Knowing it has sky lights,but you can’t see them. I pull the plug on that shit,even if it’s one story.

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’ll do a lot of shit. Not heights though. Skydive, sure. But not hanging on the side of fucking towers or buildings. 

I remember shingling a steeple on the front of a church about 50' up when I was 25 or so. I wanted that money so bad. 

The first two pics I posted are the stairs going around the diamond glass roof on this building. All of that glass has a snow melt spray system. It has two boilers and a bunch of zones. It sprays 160deg water on the glass preventing Ice and snow build up.  Lots of crazy stuff in the industrial HVAC world.

57AE39AD-C765-475F-9094-513AC02C5F77.png

AA403B34-150D-4BFE-B902-1CD0B72DFB19.jpeg

0D41BD5E-F1F2-4CBA-B3EC-9579D871CD06.jpeg

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I remember shingling a steeple on the front of a church about 50' up when I was 25 or so. I wanted that money so bad. 

I did a ton of stupid shit in the Navy. There is a reason why 90% of the military is under the age of 30.

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Damn that's cool

It’s very similar to a irrigation system,it just uses hot water. Shit ton of safety training and insurance to get on that roof. FBI back ground check and every inch is camera covered. We bill out at about $200 a hour for those types of jobs. 

12 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It’s very similar to a irrigation system,it just uses hot water. Shit ton of safety training and insurance to get on that roof. FBI back ground check and every inch is camera covered. We bill out at about $200 a hour for those types of jobs. 

That's about fair for that type of work

6 yrs in construction before transferring to operations in 89 for another 30.

Not a soul was killed during the construction phase but of course there were injuries. Heights never scared me back then when I was 18-24 but they do nowadays! 

Darlington Emergency Service Water intake, May 23 1984.jpg

Darlington ESW Intake from Forebay, looking East SCI 27100.jpg

Darlington site from West to North to East, October 1986 (1).jpg

Darlington View from top of Vacuum Bldg looking East, October 18 1984.jpg

Darlington construction-234-.jpg

Darlington concrete pouring.jpg

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

My stomach turns just looking at the pics. Guess I won't be sending in my resume. 

If I was ment to be any higher off the ground, I would have grown more lol. I really enjoy being on top of roof tops and the like. But the things that get me up there such as man lifts or ladders, fuck that shit. Do not trust at all lol