Housing market

BOHICA

18 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Bidding wars here for the $150 to 300k homes. Lots of loose credit at the moment. Over the last month I’ve had three realtor sharks ring my doorbell. Vultures  

When we were selling the house in the city the sign went on the lawn on the Wed. The realtors (2 friends) told the perspective buyers agents it was a one day only viewing on the Sat. They came in,saw,put their offers in and the last offer outbid them all. They came prepared to buy, no conditions,no home inspection and a quick closing date. 

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Bidding wars here for the $150 to 300k homes. Lots of loose credit at the moment. Over the last month I’ve had three realtor sharks ring my doorbell. Vultures  

You can't buy an empty lot here for $150 grand.   It's nuts.  800 square foot bungalows start close to 600 grand.  For another 600 grand you get 3 times the house, land etc.

18 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I like my 10 acres, 64*48 shed, and house for < $500 in property taxes per year.  :bc:

Neal

17 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Drive in drive out of my insulated garage and 2 miles to state trail system.  :bc:

Neal

30+ acres, 1,500+/- feet of frontage on the ITS trail. 1,200sq ft camp, solar/generator. $600 a year taxes.

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

My stepdaughter and her husband have been looking for starter homes in southern Maine, northern Mass and first two they put offers on ended up in a bidding war, and sold for more than asking price.

Fixed.

10 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

You can't buy an empty lot here for $150 grand.   It's nuts.  800 square foot bungalows start close to 600 grand.  For another 600 grand you get 3 times the house, land etc.

You can get a very nice, 2000 sq ft home here with a reasonably sized lot for $200k. The wages are low though. Wisconsin as a whole is a low wage state. My daughter bought a home in the Minneapolis area. It was $600k. That same home with similar land would be $275 here. 

5 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

You can get a very nice, 2000 sq ft home here with a reasonably sized lot for $200k. The wages are low though. Wisconsin as a whole is a low wage state. My daughter bought a home in the Minneapolis area. It was $600k. That same home with similar land would be $275 here. 

That will be one thing that makes it really hard for Canadians to compete against the  US.  If your major purchase is 3 times the cost then you need a lot more pay to survive. 

50 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

That will be one thing that makes it really hard for Canadians to compete against the  US.  If your major purchase is 3 times the cost then you need a lot more pay to survive. 

If the cost of new construction is about $300 sqft, what exactly are you getting?

Location, location, location.

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

not really overall the lending market is reminiscent of lending policies in mid 90's not mid 00's or late 80's

Not ready to sell just yet, kids need to finish HS but I recently had it priced by local realtor.  The estimate was maybe 10-15k more than what we paid to build it in late 2006.  Really shows how inflated that 2005-2008 housing bubble was.  I also think its about peek for the area.    Another interesting note...in 2006  on that same $550K value property taxes were $4500, now they are $7000.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

People are buying with 0 and 5% down. That seems loose to me 

Real estate is best purchased leveraged.  There is no case today with low rates to pay it off soon. 

Your money is better off invested, unless you can use a prescribed rate loan.:lol:

16 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Real estate is best purchased leveraged.  There is no case today with low rates to pay it off soon. 

Your money is better off invested, unless you can use a prescribed rate loan.:lol:

Of course. That’s an obvious choice. The point I was making is I know people with mediocre credit that are buying homes with 0 down. Knowing what I know about them, it seemed like high risk lending. 

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

People are buying with 0 and 5% down. That seems loose to me 

thats been the case for decades and the 0 down loans (RD and VA) actually perform fairly well.  Shitty borrowers end up in FHA loans but thats been the case for all but the early to mid 00's.  

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

thats been the case for decades and the 0 down loans (RD and VA) actually perform fairly well.  Shitty borrowers end up in FHA loans but thats been the case for all but the early to mid 00's.  

So same old, same old.