So Much For Renewables

Europe Has an Oil and Gas Problem It Won't Easily Be Able to Fix

8406cdc0-270c-11e9-b3fb-663c7c2991b3
Victor Davis Hanson
The National InterestJanuary 20, 2020
11 Comments

59a6388001063ac845cab20a35f5677d

Despite its cool Green parties and ambitious wind and solar agendas, Europe remains by far the world’s largest importer of oil and natural gas.

Oil output in the North Sea and off the coast of Norway is declining, and the European Union is quietly looking for fossil fuel energy anywhere it can find it.

Europe itself is naturally rich in fossil fuels. It likely has more reserves of shale gas than the United States, currently the world’s largest producer of both oil and natural gas.

Yet in most European countries, horizontal drilling and fracking to extract gas and oil are either illegal or face so many court challenges and popular protests that they are neither culturally nor economically feasible.

The result is that Europe is almost entirely dependent on Russian, Middle Eastern, and African sources of energy.

The American-Iranian standoff in the Middle East, coupled with radical drop-offs in Iranian and Venezuelan oil production, has terrified Europe—and for understandable reasons.

The European Union has almost no ability to guarantee the delivery of critical oil and gas supplies from the Middle East should Iran close the Strait of Hormuz or harass ships in the Persian Gulf.

Europe’s only maritime security is the NATO fleet—a synonym for the U.S. Navy.

Vladimir Putin’s Russia supplies an estimated 30% of Europe’s oil needs. In times of crisis, Putin could exercise de facto control over the European economy.

16 minutes ago, ACE said:

I say let em go dark. Citiots are well, idiots, and until they go cold and hungry they’ll never learn. 

You bought a new procross cat....that's like citiot x10

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I say let em go dark. Citiots are well, idiots, and until they go cold and hungry they’ll never learn. 

Exactly. They pour concrete on every inch of green space pack in millions of people into apartment high rises, fail to upgrade sewage and drainage systems. Then blame climate change on flooding. Moron sheep live in cities, just the way the fascist left want people to live.

8 hours ago, ManOnManOral said:

Exactly. They pour concrete on every inch of green space pack in millions of people into apartment high rises, fail to upgrade sewage and drainage systems. Then blame climate change on flooding. Moron sheep live in cities, just the way the fascist left want people to live.

Nailed it.

8 hours ago, ManOnManOral said:

Concrete production is a massive CO2 emitter.  Will climate sheep adapt away.  

32 minutes ago, Anler said:

So if you don't want to live in the country and fuck your sister you're a cidiot? Good to know.   

If you live in a city, promote population growth, AND, cry about cow farts causing climate change you must be fucking your mother.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ACE said:

Of course you do. That’s the way Trumpsters treat allies. Even Canadian Trumpsters. 

10 hours ago, ACE said:

5 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

:thumbsup:

There you go. The asshole who laughed at a sledder dying thinks just like you. 

5 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

There you go. The asshole who laughed at a sledder dying thinks just like you. 

I never laughed at the sledder, you dirty LIAR!!! 

I simply asked why everyone was so saddened by his death, when no one even knew the guy. 

I proposed that he might have been a bad person, so why the sympathy for someone you don't know???

You really are dumb aren't you PRIVATE PYLE??  

You called me an asshole, what is YOUR TOTAL NET WORTH??? Answer me, you little bastid!!!!    

17 hours ago, ACE said:

fucking rights. i dont know, but i think yur a peeins are the most self righteous cunts on the planet and they deserve all the oil/gas shortages they can get

9 minutes ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

fucking rights. i dont know, but i think yur a peeins are the most self righteous cunts on the planet and they deserve all the oil/gas shortages they can get

Yup