Airbus Beluga XL enters service at long last

those heavy lifters are odd looking.  I saw the Boeing Dreamlifter in Taipei last year.  Odd machine, but very cool looking.

v89hYtG.jpg

Saw a Volga Dnepr parked at PHX for a few months middle of last year.  Not sure what it was doing there for so long but it was going in and out for a few months.  Cool looking Antonov beast.  Doesn't look like it should fly.

AnothersatellitedeliveryonboardoneofVolg

Edited by Matt

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

they had an airbus double decker make a medical emergency landing in Maine yesterday,  damn that thing looks odd and they needed a ladder truck to get the person off the second level since there's only a few airports designed for it.    

Crazy thing is those have only been in service for about 12 years and they're all facing early retirement.  Airbus ceased production last year.  Didn't have nearly the life Airbus thought it would.  Never been on one but I hear they're a nice ride.

Edited by Matt

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

I'm sure the shuttle is stripped down however this still blows me away.

273242main_EC01-0129-17_full_full.jpg

The shuttle weights about 170,000#. The 747 had a payload capacity of over 250,000#. The aerodynamics were probably more of an issue than capacity. The 747 was the very jet I flew in at 13. It had a full lounge and bar upstairs. It remains my all time favorite. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Saw an Antonov land in Winnipeg a few years back. Fucking thing darkened the sky when it flew past.

It was on final approach maybe 1000-1500 ft up and fuck it looked huge. Amassing it can fly

Isn’t there just one of those in the world? 

11 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Isn’t there just one of those in the world? 

The An-225, yes.  There are a handful of An-124s still in service, which is what was going in and out of PHX regularly last year.

This thing still holds all sorts of records.

2880px-Antonov_An-225.jpg

50 minutes ago, Roosting said:

Saw an Antonov land in Winnipeg a few years back. Fucking thing darkened the sky when it flew past.

It was on final approach maybe 1000-1500 ft up and fuck it looked huge. Amassing it can fly

They are just massive. Saw one take off in Toronto.

Been in Herc's, Globemasters,.Twin Otters, even a DC3 tail dragger from the 60's, quick touch, circle around,  then landing and and taking off on the Arctic sea ice...that's probably the most what the fuck what are we doing with a 60 year old machine still flying. It was around -50 when they fired it up, got it prepped to fly. Had a fleet of Cat's and Yamaha's to be loaded. Half of the sleds wouldn't start, but that plane did.

Resolute bay...its fucking cold

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The An-225, yes.  There are a handful of An-124s still in service, which is what was going in and out of PHX regularly last year.

This thing still holds all sorts of records.

2880px-Antonov_An-225.jpg

I think the nose opens on the Antonov. Fucking wild