Effects of Minimum wage in Seattle

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Anler said:

Well its already being done, i deal with it everyday. Prevailing wages in chicago are at LEAST $10/hour higher than they are just 60 miles to the south and they drop off more from there the further out you get. 

Its not about what they deserve, we are talking about minimums which most agree are too low. They can build from there if they want to put in the work. 

Well you would think differently if you worked hard to get to a certain wage then it was simply handed to someone else without you moving forward.

The video is clear that it hasn't had all positive impacts.  

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Well you would think differently if you worked hard to get to a certain wage then it was simply handed to someone else without you moving forward.

The video is clear that it hasn't had all positive impacts.  

Well I have never thought that way so not sure why I would start now. Maybe you would feel differently if you knew your wages were being artificially kept low so companies could make more money while shifting their wage and benefit burdens onto the tax payer. 

And video shmidio, Chicago has a higher minimum wage also and retail space is thriving in the city. I bet I have 13 invitations to bid in my email box for retail space today alone. This video also does not take into account the efffect that online shopping has taken on alot of retail business, especially smaller ones. Something that larger retailers have been struggling with also, even with lower wage workers. 

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Well I have never thought that way so not sure why I would start now. Maybe you would feel differently if you knew your wages were being artificially kept low so companies could make more money while shifting their wage and benefit burdens onto the tax payer. 

And video shmidio, Chicago has a higher minimum wage also and retail space is thriving in the city. I bet I have 13 invitations to bid in my email box for retail space today alone. This video also does not take into account the efffect that online shopping has taken on alot of retail business, especially smaller ones. Something that larger retailers have been struggling with also, even with lower wage workers. 

Yet COL is higher likely putting less in their pocket in the end.   :thumbsup: 

Fact is MW can and will have negative impacts on some people and business'.   If that's acceptable to you great.   I'd like to find other ways to raise wages.   That doesn't mean I don't like or am not sympathetic to lowered skilled, less experienced workers as so many of you like to portray. 

Edited by Highmark

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Yet COL is higher likely putting less in their pocket in the end.   :thumbsup: 

Fact is MW can and will have negative impacts on some people and business'.   If that's acceptable to you great.   I'd like to find other ways to raise wages.   That doesn't mean I don't like or am not sympathetic to lowered skilled, less experienced workers as so many of you like to portray. 

Well it has had zero negative effect here. Yes consumer prices are higher but there are other factors involved in that too. The only places you find empty commercial space is in the ghetto, for obvious reasons. But there are still plenty of business operating there also. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Well it has had zero negative effect here. Yes consumer prices are higher but there are other factors involved in that too. The only places you find empty commercial space is in the ghetto, for obvious reasons. But there are still plenty of business operating there also. 

Without question the impact is mitigated in area's with ave wages already close to the increased minimum.  

55 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I agree its dumb but it's what we have and since it wont be getting eliminated we need it to rise

Why, the economy is raising wages. SO few work for min wage it is hardly worth having a discussion over. That being said , most opposed to raising it don't mind those at the bottom getting some more. But it will raise wages for all making under 25 or 30 $ an hr. 

That in turn will cause inflation . Within a yr that raise in real dollars will be gone. 

Then you have the results. Ins co's that sell workmans comp policies making bank . And those on a fixed income ( seniors and disabled ) having a shitload less buying power then they do now.