Here's why so many millennials making 6-figure salaries still feel broke

Henry’s......lol

Here's why so many millennials making 6-figure salaries still feel broke

Some millennials feel that their six-figure paychecks are stretching thin. 

As Melkorka Licea reported for the New York Post in October, they are known as "Henrys." The acronym — short for "high earner, not rich yet" — was invented by Shawn Tully in a 2003 Fortune magazine article and has come to characterize a certain group of six-figure earners who are mostly millennials, Licea wrote. 

According to the experts, the typical Henry earns over $100,000, is in their early 30s, and struggles to balance their spending and savings habits. As a result, they're behind in wealth-building and are not inching closer to their financial goals. 

Their comfortable, if not lavish, lifestyle is partially to blame for feeling broke — but so too is an economy that seems good but has a lot of tensions bubbling under its surface.

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Cost of living is high in areas paying that much to millenials. $100k around here is not big money. 

Single millennial making 100k should be able to make it work just about anywhere but they want to live life in the moment and instant gratifications expensive.  I was making 100k+ at 24 years old but I wasn't a spender till my 30's.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Most don't.

The more you make, the more you spend, savings will come later.

This, they probably spent like they were making 1M a year instead of living on 80K yearly budget. they probably got a pair of $1,000 car payments every month so its very simple lol 

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Cost of living is high in areas paying that much to millenials. $100k around here is not big money. 

Housing and taxes.   Nothing else is that much higher but then again those can be enough.  

1 minute ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

This, they probably spent like they were making 1M a year instead of living on 80K yearly budget. they probably got a pair of $1,000 car payments every month so its very simple lol 

expensive cars are not as big of a thing with the millenials,  it's more  a boomer and X thing.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

Single millennial making 100k should be able to make it work just about anywhere but they want to live life in the moment and instant gratifications expensive.  I was making 100k+ at 24 years old but I wasn't a spender till my 30's.  

Oh Im not saying you cant make it but when you are starting out and you have student debt and need to rent or buy housing, car, food, dating, etc... That $100k runs out quick. Housing and rent in the city is pretty expensive. 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Housing and taxes.   Nothing else is that much higher but then again those can be enough.  

Just living in the city is much higher. Commercial rents are high as fuck and it shows in pricing. 

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

wow whos cooler than you?!  :lol: Smh

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Anler said:

Oh Im not saying you cant make it but when you are starting out and you have student debt and need to rent or buy housing, car, food, dating, etc... That $100k runs out quick. Housing and rent in the city is pretty expensive. 

Problem is spending.  I'm not denying housing is high but kids don't need to drive new and go out 5 x's a week either.   

• Thanks 1

Just now, Highmark said:

Problem is spending.  I'm not denying housing is high but kids don't need to drive new and go out 5 x's a week either.   

Absolutely but when you are young your want to party and do fun stuff, I know i  did. 

29 minutes ago, Anler said:

It isn't big money here either. But it is enough to pay for student loans and a mortgage. 

21 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Lets not forget the registrations for boats, cars and other recreational vehicles, then you have the "wheel tax" and extra taxes that the local governments add.  Granted, they probably can't budget worth a shit, but the out of control taxes can catch young people more and more.  They will come around when they get a little older and realize who is causing the problems.

23 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

expensive cars are not as big of a thing with the millenials,  it's more  a boomer and X thing.  

I do believe most around here tend to spend quite a bit in restaurants and bars. In my drinking days a mixed drink was $3.50 for good booze. Whats a top shelf drink these days $8.50?

1 minute ago, racer254 said:

Lets not forget the registrations for boats, cars and other recreational vehicles, then you have the "wheel tax" and extra taxes that the local governments add.  Granted, they probably can't budget worth a shit, but the out of control taxes can catch young people more and more.  They will come around when they get a little older and realize who is causing the problems.

I don't see a lot of younger folks with boats , wheelers ect. Round here it's gen x er's and boomers

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

It isn't big money here either. But it is enough to pay for student loans and a mortgage. 

I agree, i wasnt implying that its not a livable wage. :lol: