An MRI scan costs $1,420 in America. It runs $450 in the UK

An MRI scan costs $1,420 in America. It runs $450 in the UK.

An MRI scan costs $1,420 in America. It runs $450 in the UK.

A U.S. angioplasty costs $32,200. In the Netherlands, it's $6,400.

Other major countries cover all their people and pay half of what we do. Don't tell me we can't afford Medicare for All. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/upshot/expensive-health-care-world-comparison.html 

The International Federation of Health Plans, a group representing the C.E.O.s of health insurers worldwide, publishes a guide every few years on the international cost for common medical services. Its newest report, on 2017 prices, came out this month. Every time, the upshot is vivid and similar: For almost everything on the list, there is a large divergence between the United States and everyone else. 

Patients and insurance companies in the United States pay higher prices for medications, imaging tests, basic health visits and common operations. Those high prices make health care in the U.S. extremely expensive, and they also finance a robust and politically powerful health care industry, which means lowering prices will always be hard. 

For a typical angioplasty, a procedure that opens a blocked blood vessel to the heart, the average U.S. price is $32,200, compared with $6,400 in the Netherlands, or $7,400 in Switzerland, the survey finds. A typical M.R.I. scan costs $1,420 in the United States, but around $450 in Britain. An injection of Herceptin, an important breast cancer treatment, costs $211 in the United States, compared with $44 in South Africa. These examples aren’t outliers. 

(snip) 

The international survey focuses on prices paid by private insurance companies; in many countries, public health programs pay less, meaning the gap in prices for many countries may be even larger if it took account of every patient. The survey doesn’t have information from every country, nor detailed prices for every medical procedure. Drug prices do not include rebates. But the report’s overall message is clear. Prices in the United States are higher for nearly everything — by a lot. 

(snip) 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/upshot/expensive-health-care-world-comparison.html 

It shows enormous differences in waiting times between parts of England, despite the government's attempts to iron out the disparities. At the Walsall Hospital Trust's Manor Hospital site, the wait for a routine magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan is 550 days

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, ManOnManOral said:

It shows enormous differences in waiting times between parts of England, despite the government's attempts to iron out the disparities. At the Walsall Hospital Trust's Manor Hospital site, the wait for a routine magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan is 550 days

Hell, you could die waiting. But that's what we need. Had mine a week after it was ordered.

Just now, Stephen Hawking said:

Hell, you could die waiting. But that's what we need. Had mine a week after it was ordered.

Routine is for joint pain etc, not critical illness. But no doubt the wait is longer for that as well. Socialized medicine is rationed, of that there is no doubt. How long does an uninsured person complaining of headaches wait for an MRI, answer, they do not get one at all.

6 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Guy has been in office for 30 years why did he not fix this 20 years ago?

Presidential candidates say a lot of things...

• Thanks 2

Another article designed for DECEPTION.  Hooked another one.

A polaris rzr costs 15995 in America, you can buy one for 3495 in the UK.     See, I can do the same, do you believe me?

Edited by racer254

11 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Another article designed for DECEPTION.  Hooked another one.

A polaris rzr costs 15995 in America, you can buy one for 3495 in the UK.     See, I can do the same, do you believe me?

No one believes you idiot

1 hour ago, small-bore said:

It took me three months to get my back done.

Last year I had 2 CT scans, labwork, and surgery done in 1 month.  The only reason it was that long was the size of the OR needed and how it was booked.  It would have been under 2 weeks if it was up to me.  

This included pre-approvals.

Longest month of my life.

The worlds healthcare is subsidized on the back of US workers.

It's pretty simple and it's a result of our corrupt politicians selling us out to private health insurance and corporate profits

• Like 2