Replaced the Exploder with a Jeep HEMI

After smoking a deer at 70 mph and the insurance company totaling my 2015 Ford Explorer, I decided to go back in time and not have a payment anymore.  After the payout I ended up with a cash budget for a new car.  I decided on this 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi with a NV405 with front and rear limited slip differentials and full lock in low range.  I drove it home from Ely to Tower, to Two Harbors and she sucked down a 1/2 tank, she's thirsty but handles the icy roads like nothing and traction is never an issue.  Fresh water pump and starter - 2 of the normal fail items on this car, with receipts.  I paid $5000 for a 330 hp mid size SUV with both LSD axles and full locking low range, think that's pretty good!  Fully loaded power top and heated bottom.

06 GCL Hemi.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
Just now, Fireball 440 said:

This will be my daily through the winter.  Hitting that deer was really at an inopportune time.  This is not the time of year to be car shopping, it was -10 in Ely today.

Is there ever really a good time to hit a deer?  :lol:

33 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

After smoking a deer at 70 mph and the insurance company totaling my 2015 Ford Explorer, I decided to go back in time and not have a payment anymore.  After the payout I ended up with a cash budget for a new car.  I decided on this 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi with a NV405 with front and rear limited slip differentials and full lock in low range.  I drove it home from Ely to Tower, to Two Harbors and she sucked down a 1/2 tank, she's thirsty but handles the icy roads like nothing and traction is never an issue.  Fresh water pump and starter - 2 of the normal fail items on this car, with receipts.  I paid $5000 for a 330 hp mid size SUV with both LSD axles and full locking low range, think that's pretty good!  Fully loaded power top and heated bottom.

06 GCL Hemi.jpg

Nice ride and paid for too. I spent all weekend up in your neck of the woods.  No reason to have a fancy vehicle just as long as it has 4 wheel drive.  

40 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Nice ride and paid for too. I spent all weekend up in your neck of the woods.  No reason to have a fancy vehicle just as long as it has 4 wheel drive.  

We're you riding? Lots of sleds out. I had thought about buying a sled with this money... but common sense prevailed this time.

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

06 GCL Hemi.jpg

Nice pick up, dude!  And good call on the nonpayment thing too!  :bc:

TH struggling with snow removal?

47 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

We're you riding? Lots of sleds out. I had thought about buying a sled with this money... but common sense prevailed this time.

Yes, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Today was kind of a dud. Good shake down run with Z on Friday.  Long ride to the Trestle on Saturday.  275 miles for the weekend.

• Like 1

It is a royal PITA to work on though with that 5.7....it is shoehorned in there, not a lot of space anywhere....

Otherwise, they are a nice vehicle, wife drove an 07 Commander for a while, she still misses it.

3 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

06 GCL Hemi.jpg

How many miles and do you know if the plugs have been changed yet? Do them, if not, then do an oil change using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full syn 5W-20 or 30 (depending what manual reads?) and a Fram TG or Ultra. Then onto your diffs, especially the rear. Likely 75W-140 with the LSD. Also use Pennzoil or Mobil-1 there with LSD fluid. Transfer case, check and see what kind, record numbers, then change fluid/oil. Be sure to loosen/test fill bolt first before dumping fluid. Change air filter with OEM or a Fram charcoal. If the vehicle came with a K&N set up or something similar, get rid of it. Those are nothing but rock catchers as they let far more dirt in and give you zero H/P.

Get it undercoated with a quality product and it should last you a long time.:bc:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Nice pick up, dude!  And good call on the nonpayment thing too!  :bc:

TH struggling with snow removal?

Nope we were cleaned up right away every time. Only Duluth sucks ass in this department, everyone else has their game on.

2 hours ago, irv said:

How many miles and do you know if the plugs have been changed yet? Do them, if not, then do an oil change using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full syn 5W-20 or 30 (depending what manual reads?) and a Fram TG or Ultra. Then onto your diffs, especially the rear. Likely 75W-140 with the LSD. Also use Pennzoil or Mobil-1 there with LSD fluid. Transfer case, check and see what kind, record numbers, then change fluid/oil. Be sure to loosen/test fill bolt first before dumping fluid. Change air filter with OEM or a Fram charcoal. If the vehicle came with a K&N set up or something similar, get rid of it. Those are nothing but rock catchers as they let far more dirt in and give you zero H/P.

Get it undercoated with a quality product and it should last you a long time.:bc:

I read up on all of the issues.  Plugs and all fluids will be done in spring. Gotta do all that on any used car. Good info :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I read up on all of the issues.  Plugs and all fluids will be done in spring. Gotta do all that on any used car. Good info :)

An oil/filter change would be done pronto if it were mine but I am anal like that.

When my wife and I purchased her 17 Impala used, the dealership said they would do an oil/filter change prior to us picking it up. When I popped the hood I noticed a new filter but when checking her oil, it looked awfully dark on the dipstick for an hours drive home.

After a day or 2, when the weather cooperated, I decided to change both. When I went to remove the filter, it was just finger tight as if a 5 yr old had tightened. It practically became loose as soon as I touched it. After decanting the oil from the drain catch pan, it was easy to see how dark/used it was. We purchased the car in November and I also was going to wait until the spring. I'm sure glad I didn't as I don't think the filter would have stayed on and without knowing what kind of oil nor the miles on it, I wouldn't have been able to sleep easy.

Each to their own, however. :bc: