Truck tire thread

8 hours ago, Skidooski said:

I need to put new Tires on my 2018' Silverado 4x4. Looking for suggestions on what others have used in the past with good results. I drive a decent amount in a year, probably 25k + so I think that might rule out trying pure winter tires for the first time which is what I was originally thinking on doing with some Blizzaks. The stock tires are junk at 44k miles and slide all over in the rain let alone snow. Wrangler Fortitude HT's 265 65 18

It's a Z71 but that's just a skid plate and slightly better shocks so I'm not going the All Terrain TA route with this one. 

Michelins are the best IMO. The LTX M/S are pretty fucking outstanding for all around use but they are also pricey. Good sipes for winter driving and pretty quiet and good economy in the rest of the year. 

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=Cj0KCQiAt_PuBRDcARIsAMNlBdqJQAQLR240F6yrGkKCMgThK4_L01E1qpWpE8TuIiHCsP5xJfAor3EaAt1CEALw_wcB&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M%2FS2&partnum=765R0LTXMS2OWL&GCID=C13674x012-tire&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Michelin_LTX+M%2FS2_Tire&code=yes&ef_id=Cj0KCQiAt_PuBRDcARIsAMNlBdqJQAQLR240F6yrGkKCMgThK4_L01E1qpWpE8TuIiHCsP5xJfAor3EaAt1CEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!72322431853!!!g!833454816222!&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 minute ago, Skidude600 said:

X2. I have them on my HD as well. Toyo Open Country AT. Excellent traction especially in the snow, very little noise and super smooth. Hands down better than the BFG's and I used to preach BFG's to the masses. 

Are those Chinese?

Just now, Skidude600 said:

Looks like Japanese owned with manufacturing plants in California and Georgia. Nitto is also part of the company.

I'd be okay with those then, I just don't do Chinese unless there's no other option.

Hmmm, maybe not..

CYPRESS, Calif., Nov. 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas Inc. has announced a safety recall campaign on approximately 175,000 Toyo Tires® and Nitto® brand tires intended for light trucks, SUVs and vans including those used in commercial applications.

The recall campaign covers select Toyo® Open Country® H/T with Tuff Duty tires manufactured between November 2008 and June 2013, and select Nitto® Dura Grappler® Highway Terrain tires manufactured between May 2007 and April 2012.

In a small number of these recall tires, production variances in the belt package during the relevant production periods may have created conditions that may put undue stress on the belt edge. If undetected, this condition may potentially contribute to a tread/belt separation and/or loss of inflation pressure, which may increase the risk of tire failure and a vehicle crash.

The recall tires were manufactured at our plant in Sendai, Japan (CX) and in Kuwana, Japan (N3) and can be identified by examining the sidewall stamping for the Brand, Model, Size, the "Made in Japan" mark, and the Tire Identification Number ("TIN"), which includes the plant code (i.e., immediately following the "DOT" mark), and the manufacture date (i.e., last 4 digits of the TIN). Please see the chart below for details.

Owners of affected tires should return to their tire dealer as soon as possible for free replacement tires. 

Additional information, including a list of authorized dealers and how to read a tire sidewall, can be found on the respective tire brand websites: toyotires.com/recall-campaign and nittotire.com/dura-grappler-recall/.  

Assistance is also available by phone:
Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp.: 800-442-8696 (6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST)
Nitto Tire U.S.A. Inc.: 888-529-8200 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST)

Brand/Model

Size
(Load Index/Speed Rating)

Tire Identification Number

Toyo® Open Country H/T with Tuff Duty

LT235/85R16 120Q E/10

DOT CX 9JF41 5108
through
DOT CX 9JF41 4211

DOT N3 9JF41 2010
through
DOT N3 9JF41 2713

LT245/75R16 120R E/10

DOT CX A3F1E 4408
through
DOT CX A3F1E 4211

DOT N3 A3F1E 2310
through
DOT N3 A3F1E 2513

LT265/75R16 123Q E/10

DOT CX LTF31 4908
through
DOT CX LTF31 4211

DOT N3 LTF31 4210
through
DOT N3 LTF31 1012

LT285/75R16 126Q E/10

DOT CX LFF42 5108
through
DOT CX LFF42 4211

LT265/70R17 121R E/10

DOT CX 7KF43 0109
through
DOT CX 7KF43 4211

DOT N3 7KF43 4710
through
DOT N3 7KF43 0812

LT225/75R17 116Q E/10

DOT CX DXKAM 0210
through
DOT CX DXKAM 1112

LT235/80R17 120R E/10

DOT CX A0LCC 2111
through
DOT CX A0LCC 4411

Nitto® Dura Grappler® Highway Terrain

LT275/65R18 123Q E/10

DOT CX BWEAW 3307
through
DOT CX BWEAW 4211

LT265/70R17 121Q E/10

DOT CX 7KEFA 2907
through
DOT CX 7KEFA 4211

DOT N3 7KEFA 4710
through
DOT N3 7KEFA 2012

LT265/75R16 123Q E/10

DOT CX LTEAW 2207
through
DOT CX LTEAW 4211

DOT N3 LTEAW 4610
through
DOT N3 LTEAW 0912

LT245/75R17 121Q E/10

DOT CX BXEFA 2507
through
DOT CX BXEFA 4211

DOT N3 BXEFA 4310
through
DOT N3 BXEFA 1812

About Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas Inc.
Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas Inc. (TTHA) is the wholly-owned North American subsidiary of TOYO TIRE & RUBBER CO., LTD. of Osaka, Japan. Headquartered in Cypress, California, TTHA and its group companies manufacture, import, sell and distribute Toyo and Nitto brand tires in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

TTHA maintains its commitment to innovation, quality, performance, and excellent customer service. Significant and continuous investments are made in its U.S.-based manufacturing facility and support operations in order to produce high-quality tires. The company's tire portfolio covers a broad range of applications, including high-performance racing-inspired tires, rugged off-road tires for light trucks and SUVs, luxury-touring tires, and commercial truck tires.

About Toyo Tire U.S.A. Corp.
Toyo Tires offers a complete line of premium replacement tires for nearly every make and model including high performance cars, luxury vehicles, light trucks and SUVs as well as tires for competition vehicles and commercial trucks.  Many of the tires are built in the U.S. at their state-of-the-art factory in Georgia. Learn more at toyotires.com.

About Nitto Tire U.S.A. Inc.
Nitto Tire develops performance tires for all uses, including high-performance street, competition, and off-road.  Using state-of-the-art manufacturing and testing facilities in Japan and the United States, Nitto provides innovative and high-quality performance tires for the most demanding automotive enthusiasts. For more information visit nittotire.com. 

To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/select-toyo-tires-and-nitto-brand-light-truck-tires-recalled-in-safety-campaign-300001507.html

SOURCE Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas Inc.

Related Links

http://www.toyotires.com

You just read:

Select Toyo Tires and Nitto Brand Light Truck Tires Recalled in Safety Campaign

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Toyo Tire Holdings of Americas Inc. 

Nov 26, 2014, 09:00 ET

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

3 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Huh. Don't see my tires on there. I still stand by them. They have performed flawlessly so far, but I will update if I have any issues.

Yeah, it was a couple years ago too. I know other guys that really like their Toyo's, I simply never gave 'em much thought/consideration.. silly me..

Just now, XCR1250 said:

Yeah, it was a couple years ago too. I know other guys that really like their Toyo's, I simply never gave 'em much thought/consideration.. silly me..

Not silly at all. Like I said I was a BFG fanboy until a buddy of mine told me about the Toyo's. That and I was pissed that I couldn't seem to keep my last set of BFG's balanced. One thing I cant stand is tire vibrations while I'm on a road trip. On top of that they wore terrible and I think I got 40k miles out of them. Time for something new.

4 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

Not silly at all. Like I said I was a BFG fanboy until a buddy of mine told me about the Toyo's. That and I was pissed that I couldn't seem to keep my last set of BFG's balanced. One thing I cant stand is tire vibrations while I'm on a road trip. On top of that they wore terrible and I think I got 40k miles out of them. Time for something new.

Not sure if you mentioned it, but how many miles you have on them now?

10 hours ago, Edmo said:

Put these cooper discoverer m + s tires on last year Before sled season. Price was right, work great in the snow, seem to be wearing well. About the only complaint is they are a bit noisy. 

6CD8D003-10A1-4AA4-93AF-FA246AB0DDEA.png

I can see that yours are cupping like a sob. Don't hesitate, rotate!

• Platinum Contributing Member

I just bought tires Saturday. Pick them up today.

I had BFG KO’s in these wheels and they were fine. Bought them used with 85% tread and put about 60k Km’s on them. Only ran them in the summer. I’ve had good luck with Michelin AT2’s.

i was all set to buy Duratrac’s as they were 25% off last week at Canadian Tire but even at sale price it was going to cost around $1500 for the set and KO2’s were $120 less.

These are Canadian Tire’s house brand Motormaster. I read somewhere that they are made by Cooper but that doesn’t mean they are the same quality. I’ve never been a fan but they were 25% off this week. The set cost me just over $900. I’m cheap and I couldn’t  turn that down. I’ll see how they do but really I could run almost anything. They will only see summer use and the truck already has 330k kms on it so this may very well be it’s last set.

F8D39379-A218-4CC8-897D-EF7AD7CA69F7.thumb.jpeg.eee044e2646367ba6a923119edfab140.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Skidooski said:

I need to put new Tires on my 2018' Silverado 4x4. Looking for suggestions on what others have used in the past with good results. I drive a decent amount in a year, probably 25k + so I think that might rule out trying pure winter tires for the first time which is what I was originally thinking on doing with some Blizzaks. The stock tires are junk at 44k miles and slide all over in the rain let alone snow. Wrangler Fortitude HT's 265 65 18

It's a Z71 but that's just a skid plate and slightly better shocks so I'm not going the All Terrain TA route with this one. 

Why not? 

12 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Michelins or BF Goodrich have been the longest lasting for me..Seems to be somewhat hard to find BF Goodrich AT in your size, my truck is sizes just like yours and yesterday I tried 4 places for them and they all said they don't stock them, so don't know for sure.

Get a 275/70/18

11 hours ago, Skidooski said:

I'm waiting until this Friday as well. The only time you'll see me out shopping on Black Friday :lol: 

Discount and Belle are doing their Black Friday sales all week. 

10 hours ago, Skidooski said:

Quoted $909 out the door with tire disposal. Doesn't seem to bad considering I had expected to be over a grand for any new set that wasn't Chinese junk  :dunno:

At that price, you're better off going KO2

10 hours ago, Edmo said:

Are they 20’s? None of those are cheap.

I use to think the same but just depends on the tire and what size 20.

275/70/18s were $220 each  265/60/20 $233 each. 

4 hours ago, 168hp CAT 800 said:

The BFG KO2’s are probably the nicest all around truck tire I’ve ever had. But they wear on the fast side 

You have to rotate them religiously and keep the tire pressure right on or they will

4 hours ago, 168hp CAT 800 said:

My diesels seem to eat them. But they’re always spinning on gravel roads 

Gravel roads are hard on any tire. The softer the compound, the worse they wear on gravel.

3 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I'd be okay with those then, I just don't do Chinese unless there's no other option.

You don't want Toyo or Shitto tires.  They're garbage.  My buddy tried both on his F150 and went back to BFGs. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I just bought tires Saturday. Pick them up today.

I had BFG KO’s in these wheels and they were fine. Bought them used with 85% tread and put about 60k Km’s on them. Only ran them in the summer. I’ve had good luck with Michelin AT2’s.

i was all set to buy Duratrac’s as they were 25% off last week at Canadian Tire but even at sale price it was going to cost around $1500 for the set and KO2’s were $120 less.

These are Canadian Tire’s house brand Motormaster. I read somewhere that they are made by Cooper but that doesn’t mean they are the same quality. I’ve never been a fan but they were 25% off this week. The set cost me just over $900. I’m cheap and I couldn’t  turn that down. I’ll see how they do but really I could run almost anything. They will only see summer use and the truck already has 330k kms on it so this may very well be it’s last set.

F8D39379-A218-4CC8-897D-EF7AD7CA69F7.thumb.jpeg.eee044e2646367ba6a923119edfab140.jpeg

I had KO2's on my truck before this set and they wore like shit. I've had AT's in the past and they were always great. I was pretty disappointed. 

6 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Don that chart I posted on first page shows how to tell country of origin from sidewall markings.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

I've ran Hankook Dynapro ATMs on a few vehicles, good tire

I bought a cheap used set of those off CL for my 2000 Silverado work truck...so far so good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J. Jackson said:

I can see that yours are cupping like a sob. Don't hesitate, rotate!

Those aren’t mine! Googled the pic. Mine get rotated every 5-6 Thousand miles. Got almost 40k on them and they still look pretty good.

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Those aren’t mine! Googled the pic. Mine get rotated every 5-6 Thousand miles. Got almost 40k on them and they still look pretty good.

I've been driving for 57 years, I have never rotated tires and as long as the front end is maintained I've not had cupping, bought a used vehicle that had cupped tires but the ball joints and tie rod ends were shot, once I replaced the parts myself and had it aligned the new tires never did it.

19 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

I've been driving for 57 years, I have never rotated tires and as long as the front end is maintained I've not had cupping, bought a used vehicle that had cupped tires but the ball joints and tie rod ends were shot, once I replaced the parts myself and had it aligned the new tires never did it.

Interesting. Every 4wd truck I’ve had did it. I will admit I’m especially hard on tires because of the way I drive. I never get the advertised mileage and I usually swap them out before they’re completely toast. 

Just now, Edmo said:

Interesting. Every 4wd truck I’ve had did it. I will admit I’m especially hard on tires because of the way I drive. I never get the advertised mileage and I usually swap them out before they’re completely toast. 

I drive very conservatively, never had a ticket except 1 parking and once for burning rubber when I was a teen. 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:08 AM, Rigid1 said:

I've ran Hankook Dynapro ATMs on a few vehicles, good tire

Those came on my truck from the factory.  They ride nice but I don't see them being very good in the snow.  Definitely wouldn't be a tire I would buy for a replacement tire.