Think it's totaled?

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Assuming it works the same as Ontario, a salvage title would be a vehicle that has been damaged and branded unfit to return to the road without under going structural and mechanical inspections. A Rebuilt title would be the same vehicle that has passed the structural and mechanical inspections.

I own several Rebuilt titled vehicles.

This was my Dodge I bought, branded salvage.

IMG_20150312_134721(1).thumb.jpg.d88f8f3eb881d160d61d5936dce8a46d.jpg

This was after $12000 in body work and a structural and mechanical safety. Here, there are only a handful of shop qualified to perform the structural safety. You take him the vehicle and all your paperwork and photos showing what work you have done and where the parts all came from. He puts it on a special rack to perform measurements of frame and what not. If your all in spec and the workmanship is good, he sends off his approval and you go to the license office and get your new Rebuilt title.

IMG_20151110_110947.thumb.jpg.f638e1a682204233616cab1c95de86ab.jpg

Thanks....sounds like your standards for rebuilt titled vehicles may be more stringent than ours here. I've seen a few very nice vehicles with rebuilt titles on CL but a little leery of how well they were rebuilt.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Thanks....sounds like your standards for rebuilt titled vehicles may be more stringent than ours here. I've seen a few very nice vehicles with rebuilt titles on CL but a little leery of how well they were rebuilt.

make sure there are before pictures so you can see where the damage was.  there are some guys around here who have been doing it for years and have a good rep for not doing it halfway,  other people will cobble together a shit sammich to look good.  

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The standards are pretty good but its a tough call to buy a Rebuilt vehicle. There are a lot fewer of the horror stories out there now and its put a good dent in the vehicle crime rates. The guys I know are really good about the structural integrity and mechanicals of the vehicles they build but they will still cut corners where it won't matter/won't be seen.

The toughest part of buying a rebuilt title vehicle is you'll never be able to trade it in some where and you'll have a hard time selling it if you need to. You have to be prepared to keep it for a long time.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

make sure there are before pictures so you can see where the damage was.  there are some guys around here who have been doing it for years and have a good rep for not doing it halfway,  other people will cobble together a shit sammich to look good.  

Good idea and as I mentioned earlier the inspection process for rebuilt vehicles in this state is fairly rudimentary.

9 hours ago, irv said:

A friend of mine does the auction/rebuild thing and makes good money at it. Many new cars that get damaged off the line/while in transport are quickly discarded from all the big manu's so he purchases them at auction and rebuilds them. The damage is minimal, imo, but I guess some of the big manu's don't have the time to deal with them? I've seen practically new vehicles (low mileage) with cosmetic damage, (dented fenders, grills, headlights,etc) be purchased for practically peanuts then resold after he fixes them up.

He makes good money at it but he has a ton of connections and has the skill/knowledge to rebuild them. 

Mu old buss partner used to rebuild 3-4 or yr. He would try to buy ones that were crashed in the winter. Many times they were low speed accidents and didn't pop the air bag. That's all we drove for work trucks for the 12 yrs I was partners with him.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Good idea and as I mentioned earlier the inspection process for rebuilt vehicles in this state is fairly rudimentary.

There really is no inspection process.as far as the quality of repairs   It is a police officer signing off on it. They are mostly concerned with you having documentation of parts and nothing is stolen.  It has gotten to be a huge hassle.  Lot of shady fuckers out there now. Bad repairs  to outright fraud.  I have seen some really unsafe repairs. If you really interested in buying a repairable,  I would go through a legitimate business.  This is my guy .  Know and done work for him for years.  30 day 2000 mi warranty.   My last two were fresh water floods from him. Had great luck problem free.  Sold one to a buddy and his daughter is still driving it. 

827D2FC4-2938-4DAF-823A-8EA32ED178D4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

Looks at @Sal Rosenberg

:snack:

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Mu old buss partner used to rebuild 3-4 or yr. He would try to buy ones that were crashed in the winter. Many times they were low speed accidents and didn't pop the air bag. That's all we drove for work trucks for the 12 yrs I was partners with him.

almost all my work trucks over the last 20 years have been rebuilts.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:36 AM, Fireball 440 said:

For junkyard parts, you are correct. Front facia parts are different than civilian Explorers and most Police models are front impacts in junkyards.

What happened with explorer? 

10 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

On behalf of all speeders I want to say fuck you for driving that thing and I hope it's totaled.

Lmao.The Wife’s black ‘19 expedition makes people hit the breaks and move over all the time. I laugh. 

14 hours ago, Shifty said:

Lmao.The Wife’s black ‘19 expedition makes people hit the breaks and move over all the time. I laugh. 

:lol:  my son not long ago thanked me on behalf of other drivers for having a green explorer not a blue, silver or black one like all the cops

14 hours ago, Shifty said:

My wife's black Impala has the same affect on people. She has a rather heavy foot, especially when driving to our trailer via the hwy and it's amazing how quick people get over. Imo, it only proves those that don't get over when I'm driving my Ram or another vehicle, do so on purpose. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, irv said:

My wife's black Impala has the same affect on people. She has a rather heavy foot, especially when driving to our trailer via the hwy and it's amazing how quick people get over. Imo, it only proves those that don't get over when I'm driving my Ram or another vehicle, do so on purpose. 

:lol: fuck yo commute 

On 11/23/2019 at 9:44 AM, Angry ginger said:

nope,  drivers airbags are a pretty simple repair these days and seatbelt can be rebuilt after it locked up.  

Not on your life. Replace only.

Way too much liability in today's world. Insurance will buy you new seatbelts if you even say a word about them, deployed or not. No questions asked. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Way too much liability in today's world. Insurance will buy you new seatbelts if you even say a word about them, deployed or not. No questions asked. 

Certainly insurance company is going to buy a new one but if someones doing a rebuild they are most likely sending the seatbelts out.  $70 for safetyrestore to rebuild them

10 minutes ago, JEFF said:

Lots of places to save money. Restraint systems, not one of them.    

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 6:26 PM, Cold War said:

What happened with explorer? 

Hit a deer at 72 mph.

On 11/26/2019 at 7:37 PM, motonoggin said:

On behalf of all speeders I want to say fuck you for driving that thing and I hope it's totaled.

Insurance adjusters totaled it. I don't have any numbers yet.

received_1502966449879432.jpeg

20190830_085325.jpg