If Vince has a hair on his ass.....

f7ben

6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I’ve been looking for the perfect bag and still haven’t found it.  I want something that’s reasonably waterproof, big or expandable enough to pack enough for a couple day saddlebag tour, and enough room to ack the usual essentials like a shovel , sno bunje, etc.  let me know how you like it, I’ve been eyeballing those

My wife says that to me all the time.:lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

They've made HP 2C for a while. The new one for sleds is called Snow 2-C. IDK what, if anything is different about it from the HP 2C. But both are way expensive here.  Like $58/gallon. Wish it was cheaper I'd try it.   When I'm paying $32/gallon for Interceptor tho, it's a no brainier which one I'm gonna run :thumb:

You mean RP? Like Tomas was saying, it's crazy the money we pay up here for these types of oils. With RP being even more expensive, like their motor oils, not a chance I will be using it.

I'm glad my old XLT only needs dino 2 stroke oil. The Shell 5 ltr jugs I purchased quite a few years ago were on $22ish on sale and I see I got them from Home Hardware. 

It doesn't show these on sale either but I know they were. Leave it to CDN Tire to screw something like this up!

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shell-advance-synthetic-snowmobile-oil-5l-0281796p.0281796.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgoauqf775QIVwZ-zCh0N0w4rEAQYAiABEgLT4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=336

29 minutes ago, irv said:

You mean RP? Like Tomas was saying, it's crazy the money we pay up here for these types of oils. With RP being even more expensive, like their motor oils, not a chance I will be using it.

I'm glad my old XLT only needs dino 2 stroke oil. The Shell 5 ltr jugs I purchased quite a few years ago were on $22ish on sale and I see I got them from Home Hardware. 

It doesn't show these on sale either but I know they were. Leave it to CDN Tire to screw something like this up!

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shell-advance-synthetic-snowmobile-oil-5l-0281796p.0281796.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgoauqf775QIVwZ-zCh0N0w4rEAQYAiABEgLT4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=336

Yep   Great stuff, but expensive.  Their axle and trans fluid is good stuff. I got a buddy in IE at my work and he also does axles on the side out of his garage and his brothers shop.  He told me to stay away from Amsoil gear lube for a car/truck axles.  Said go with Royal Purple or Lucas. Said either is fine for trans fluid or transfer cases.  He just said they find the Amsoil gets really foamy in rear axles for some reason.  I still run Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 in my chain case. Never had any issues and very little wear. 

Maybe someone can chime in on oils here.

So do I need full synthetic for a 08 700 cfi (stock) and a 07 600 EFI cat (stock)?

I found an amsoil guy out here that will sell me interceptor at $45 (cad) a gallon. But I believe interceptor is a blend, not a full syn.

6 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

So do I need full synthetic for a 08 700 cfi (stock) and a 07 600 EFI cat (stock)?

I found an amsoil guy out here that will sell me interceptor at $45 (cad) a gallon. But I believe interceptor is a blend, not a full syn.

Interceptor is full synthetic

12 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

No.

It "may" help keep the exhaust valves cleaner longer. But unless you drive 10K miles per year, as long as you make it part of your yearly maintenance, you will be fine. There is really no other reason to "need" full synthetic 2T oil. 

In fact many believe dino is the way to go. IMO, it doesn't matter. Indy Dan on the other hand flip flops a lot with this. Sometimes he like full synthetic, some years he like dino only. He seems to be everybody's polaris guru god. So take it for what it's worth.

I tear down at least one sled engine per year just to measure my pistons and crank run out. More if I wrecked something. Ive never found oil to be a problem. Poo pistons and the cylinder design is why I often measure. But I am also of the belief that pistons in high performance 2 stroke engine are a wear item and do need to be replaced periodically. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

BTW years ago we had some concerning issues with Amsoil Interceptor oil. But that was in the past, and many people use it today without issue. I won't pay for it, but if it was given to me Id use it. Actually Id use any oil if it was free. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Legend said:

No.

It "may" help keep the exhaust valves cleaner longer. But unless you drive 10K miles per year, as long as you make it part of your yearly maintenance, you will be fine. There is really no other reason to "need" full synthetic 2T oil. 

In fact many believe dino is the way to go. IMO, it doesn't matter. Indy Dan on the other hand flip flops a lot with this. Sometimes he like full synthetic, some years he like dino only. He seems to be everybody's polaris guru god. So take it for what it's worth.

I tear down at least one sled engine per year just to measure my pistons and crank run out. More if I wrecked something. Ive never found oil to be a problem. Poo pistons and the cylinder design is why I often measure. But I am also of the belief that pistons in high performance 2 stroke engine are a wear item and do need to be replaced periodically. 

When you rebuild a Polaris 800 does it get oem pistons or something else? Also do you believe in running a little oil in every tank of fuel on these motors?

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

When you rebuild a Polaris 800 does it get oem pistons or something else? Also do you believe in running a little oil in every tank of fuel on these motors?

Whatever is cheapest. That happens to be Wiseco pistons right now. Many people disagree because they are forged. Forged pistons are stronger than cast. But they do expand more than cast when heated quickly. This isn't as much of a deal as it was in the 90s-early 2000s. The metallurgy is better than previously. If you are a person that sits in a bar for 3 hours, comes out and starts it and pins the throttle across the lake within 20 secs of starting, then you should buy cast pistons. 

Cast is softer, and the tolerances are not nearly as precise. If you want to make optimum efficiency and hp forged is the way to go. Just let it come up to full operating temp before you beat the shit out of it. My piston to cylinder clearances are usually .0045 when I install new pistons. That is very tight. The clearance in a new OEM Poo 800 cast piston engine would be all over from .0055 to .008. IMO thats not good enough. I don't know what the stock clearances are on a new Axys 800. Never checked a brand new one. But my stock 18 RMK with 500 miles on it has 3-4% leak down in the cylinders. Thats damn good for a 2 stroke engine. It will get opened up after this season or if it breaks, whichever comes first. 

Adding oil to the gas can never hurt, unless you are running some crazy stupid lean air/fuel ratios. On a stock engine with an untouched ECU, that will never happen. 

But, the oil added to the gas tank only lubes the top of the cylinder because of where the injector is placed, in the transfer port. So that added oil never gets to the crank or the bottom of the cylinders, where the most wear is on a Polaris CFI engine. So I dont think its is  critical to add oil to the fuel. Turning up the oil pump is better imo. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Legend said:

Whatever is cheapest. That happens to be Wiseco pistons right now. Many people disagree because they are forged. Forged pistons are stronger than cast. But they do expand more than cast when heated quickly. This isn't as much of a deal as it was in the 90s-early 2000s. The metallurgy is better than previously. If you are a person that sits in a bar for 3 hours, comes out and starts it and pins the throttle across the lake within 20 secs of starting, then you should buy cast pistons. 

Cast is softer, and the tolerances are not nearly as precise. If you want to make optimum efficiency and hp forged is the way to go. Just let it come up to full operating temp before you beat the shit out of it. My piston to cylinder clearances are usually .0045 when I install new pistons. That is very tight. The clearance in a new OEM Poo 800 cast piston engine would be all over from .0055 to .008. IMO thats not good enough. I don't know what the stock clearances are on a new Axys 800. Never checked a brand new one. But my stock 18 RMK with 500 miles on it has 3-4% leak down in the cylinders. Thats damn good for a 2 stroke engine. It will get opened up after this season or if it breaks, whichever comes first. 

Adding oil to the gas can never hurt, unless you are running some crazy stupid lean air/fuel ratios. On a stock engine with an untouched ECU, that will never happen. 

But, the oil added to the gas tank only lubes the top of the cylinder because of where the injector is placed, in the transfer port. So that added oil never gets to the crank or the bottom of the cylinders, where the most wear is on a Polaris CFI engine. So I dont think its is  critical to add oil to the fuel. Turning up the oil pump is better imo. 

Forged ftw.  Wiseco is about tops.  If I remember correctly, a lot of Poo owners were using the forged wisecos for the "reliability" type kits.  I think a forged in that mil worked better on sleeve clearances.

Bold:  Retards.

So is there any reason for me to be spending $45/gallon on interceptor vs $40/1.3 gallons of mystik sea and snow?

The sleds if lucky will see 2000 kms this year

2 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

So is there any reason for me to be spending $45/gallon on interceptor vs $40/1.3 gallons of mystik sea and snow?

The sleds if lucky will see 2000 kms this year

No.

If anybody tells you yes, tell them to show you hard proof. Not what some marketing garbage says.

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

No.

If anybody tells you yes, tell them to show you hard proof. Not what some marketing garbage says.

That is fantastic. Thank you. 

Is there a difference between semi syn and syn blend?

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Forged ftw.  Wiseco is about tops.  If I remember correctly, a lot of Poo owners were using the forged wisecos for the "reliability" type kits.  I think a forged in that mil worked better on sleeve clearances.

Bold:  Retards.

I think Indy Dan is back on promoting OEM pistons. Even though he got busted using Chinese pistons a few years back. That why he would seal the engine and if you opened it he would void warranty. 
Though his fix included welding “braces” on the cylinder skirts. Which IMO is probably a pretty good idea. Just not one I’m willing to pay what he charges for it. 
I do what I do with the full understanding that my toys need to be maintained, and that includes maintaining the engines with a fine tooth comb. 

Not saying I’m perfect. I missed a questionable rod bearing last year and I lost a crank and bottom case because of it. It did have higher miles for a mtn sled, but I got lazy.

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think Indy Dan is back on promoting OEM pistons. Even though he got busted using Chinese pistons a few years back. That why he would seal the engine and if you opened it he would void warranty. 
Though his fix included welding “braces” on the cylinder skirts. Which IMO is probably a pretty good idea. Just not one I’m willing to pay what he charges for it. 
I do what I do with the full understanding that my toys need to be maintained, and that includes maintaining the engines with a fine tooth comb. 

Not saying I’m perfect. I missed a questionable rod bearing last year and I lost a crank and bottom case because of it. It did have higher miles for a mtn sled, but I got lazy.

I believe I remember those pics.  Ouch!