Time for a new tv

2 minutes ago, irv said:

My wife's been hinting about one for a while now so that's likely what I'll get her for Christmas. She wants a 55" I believe and a Smart T.V. so she can watch the video of the music she is listening too. I also think it would be great to use a laptop and have the T.V. become the screen. I've been out of the loop for years, or when we bought our Sony Bravia about 10 yrs ago so I have some educating to do, which this thread is helping with.

Hopefully some that are more in the know can help us.I know you are good at researching things.I have limited internet connectivity so some of the streaming things are not much of an option

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

Do you have insurance for earthquakes up there? Just a dum question from Ontario.

Also looking for a new TV--but on a budget.

Earthquake insurance is available but its very expensive and it has very high deductibles and you need to have up to $100k worth of damage before it will pay anything depending on your policy.

Obviously there are lots of different insurance options out there but for sure, earthquake insurance is very expensive and very few people have it. 

1 hour ago, irv said:

My wife's been hinting about one for a while now so that's likely what I'll get her for Christmas. She wants a 55" I believe and a Smart T.V. so she can watch the video of the music she is listening too. I also think it would be great to use a laptop and have the T.V. become the screen. I've been out of the loop for years, or when we bought our Sony Bravia about 10 yrs ago so I have some educating to do, which this thread is helping with.

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

Hopefully some that are more in the know can help us.I know you are good at researching things.I have limited internet connectivity so some of the streaming things are not much of an option

Dont overlook the TCL. Their 4k smart tv’s are very good for well under $500. I’ve owned the very best tv’s from Mitsubishi, Sony and Samsung. I paid $6800 for my first HDTV from Mits.  You dont need a better tv than the TCL. 

Edited by AKIQPilot
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Dont overlook the TCL. Their 4k smart tv’s are very good for well under $500. I’ve owned the very best tv’s from Mitsubishi, Sony and Samsung. I paid $6800 for my first HDTV from Mits.  You dont need a better tv than the TCL. 

Im leaning towards the Samsung 4k UHD. Seems the going price is right around $480

13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Im leaning towards the Samsung 4k UHD. Seems the going price is right around $480

Yep better to get the manu that has better os support for the future.  I bet in a few years the tcl and visio apps won't work as they don't update much to support newer version apps which stuff like netflix etc require.  Then it's just a regular tv at that point.  

5 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

As far as UHD, aren't there only 4-5 channels that broadcast in UHD?

Probably at the moment. But I would like to think it's a 7-8 yr purchase. Not to mention anything decent seems to be.

UHD (Ultra High Definition) technology provides a sharp, crisp and immersive viewing experience by squeezing 3840x2160 pixels onto the screen compared to 1920x1080 pixels on an HD TV.

SUHD (Super Ultra High Definition) combines UHD resolution with a Nano Crystal display so that SUHD creates an even greater spectrum and more accurate reproduction of colour.

Find out more about UHD and SUHD here.

4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Opinions on this one? Only a 50 , but I can get it kinda free.

LG - 50" Class - LED - UK6090PUA Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

Well yea that is plenty nice especially for free. 

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

For a 50” that is probably a fair deal. 

The 65” TCL is $448. 

That one is a 65" . The 50" is on a site where I have points from buying irrigation products.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

bj's, best buy and wallmart all have it for $479

Wife gets $25% off anything Walmart has in stock even food, only 1 day a year as much as you want, that's when we buy all the hi ticket items. She has to work all day on Thanksgiving to get it.

Edited by XCR1250
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

THink black Friday will be even cheaper?

Maybe a little but hard to say.  I'd snap it up and avoid the bs.  You might see it drop 50 but it's worth it to avoid.  Thata still a great price on a solid tv 

Just now, Kev144 said:

Maybe a little but hard to say.  I'd snap it up and avoid the bs.  You might see it drop 50 but it's worth it to avoid.  Thata still a great price on a solid tv 

The crowds I See on the news for BF are not worth $50. I fucking hate people.

1 minute ago, Kev144 said:

The Black Friday thingy is only on items in store which can sell out fast.

Edited by XCR1250
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XCR1250 said:

The Black Friday thingy is only on items in store which can out fast.

Which sucks.  We can order stuff online usually for black Friday and pick up in store.  I did that 2 years ago on a Samsung tv.  

• Like 1