Justin Trudeau is Doing a Great Job

revrnd

4 hours ago, 02sled said:

More stupidity from the village idiot. Maybe if your bromance lover Trudope didn't give $B's away to the rest of the world that money could go into OAS.

Yeah... and you get less at 60 than you do if you wait until 65 or 70. The break even point for most people is 75. At 75 you will have collected the same amount starting at 60 as you would had you started at 65. If you start at 60 and invest that money rather than spend it the ROI makes the break even point much closer to 79/80. Given that life expectancy for the average male is 80 it makes sense to collect at 60 rather than later. Especially considering when you die all the money you put into the system is forfeit.

Personally I would have preferred to have been able to opt out of CPP contributions all my life and put the same amount into investments of my own. I would be much further ahead and whatever funds would be left when I die would go to family rather than the government.

For sure, that and any company pension.  If you calc the amount you would have prior to retirement forgoing the CPP and putting into a an RRSP assuming a lame 5% return it comes out to something like over 400K.  Then double that for your spouse.  Now assume a more normal 7.5% ROI and there are very few plans delivering more.  CPP is the biggest scam underachiever ripoff in history. 

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

For sure, that and any company pension.  If you calc the amount you would have prior to retirement forgoing the CPP and putting into a an RRSP assuming a lame 5% return it comes out to something like over 400K.  Then double that for your spouse.  Now assume a more normal 7.5% ROI and there are very few plans delivering more.  CPP is the biggest scam underachiever ripoff in history. 

What about the companies share?  do you want that too in payments?  or just give up that part of your wages :dunno: 

Just like Health Care this needs everyone involved and in the long run saves you rich guys money due to elders having some regardless if they can save or not......

47 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

What about the companies share?  do you want that too in payments?  or just give up that part of your wages :dunno: 

Just like Health Care this needs everyone involved and in the long run saves you rich guys money due to elders having some regardless if they can save or not......

I think the calcs included that.

As for pension income it doesn't actually help.  Let me know what you are missing?

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

As usual Fail... you don't grasp the concept. INSTEAD OF putting the money into CPP the employee/employer is required to put the same amount of money out of each pay cheque into a DC pension savings plan. I guarantee I would be getting much more  from that DC than I will ever see from CPP. End result.... EVERYONE WHO HAD A JOB would have retirement income, more than CPP provides and when they die whatever is left goes to their family.

3 hours ago, 02sled said:

As usual Fail... you don't grasp the concept. INSTEAD OF putting the money into CPP the employee/employer is required to put the same amount of money out of each pay cheque into a DC pension savings plan. I guarantee I would be getting much more  from that DC than I will ever see from CPP. End result.... EVERYONE WHO HAD A JOB would have retirement income, more than CPP provides and when they die whatever is left goes to their family.

and if the masses don't do that what happens?  you pay for all the elders that are broke

go away Nazi 

20 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

and if the masses don't do that what happens?  you pay for all the elders that are broke

go away Nazi 

You really are clueless. Unless you provide proof that you are contributing to a plan of your own with a receipt in the correct amount when you file your taxes for the year then it becomes money owing as part of your income tax return.

46 minutes ago, 02sled said:

You really are clueless. Unless you provide proof that you are contributing to a plan of your own with a receipt in the correct amount when you file your taxes for the year then it becomes money owing as part of your income tax return.

so you are okay with the forced savings :dunno:  didn't see that coming 

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

What the hell do you think CPP is.... those forced contributions are everywhere. Company pensions DB or DC tend to be compulsory as a condition of employment. EI is contributions are forced even though for most they will never collect a cent or those that do never come close to what they put into it.

12 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Pretty much needed since many would postpone it ending up with nothing.  What I don't like is the one size fits all structure of CPP and most defined pension plans, it actually hurts the young people starting out if they have even a remedial level of investment knowledge.  DC's are they way to go with options of where to invest, pure equities (Canadian, Global, US, International), or Balanced (Canadian, Global, US, International) or fixed income (:flush:) for those who shot themselves in the foot and are fucked royally.

11 hours ago, 02sled said:

What the hell do you think CPP is.... those forced contributions are everywhere. Company pensions DB or DC tend to be compulsory as a condition of employment. EI is contributions are forced even though for most they will never collect a cent or those that do never come close to what they put into it.

I refused to join a company DC plan when I started a new job back when I was in my mid 20's, it was known upfront and they accepted.  Later after about 2 years they recanted and tried to force me to join, it was a DC with an ROI of about 2%.  I had just come from another company where my pension transfer after 3 years amounted to less than $700 and refused to continued down that road.  I actually helped them them to find a more acceptable plan, while they didn't take my suggestion of contributions into one's own SDRRSP, we settled for a plan with AETNA that had various options (Equity, Balanced, GIC's etc) that would meet individual's needs.  I would have walked if I was forced to remain in the existing plan.