skidoo 1200 cam chain tensioner

Engine developed a tic. It's not valve train related and appears to be the tensioner has lost it's spring.

I could move the chain guide with about 2 lb of force. I think it should be a lot more............. You can see the guide snap back after a compression stroke and I think that is the tic we hear.

1 hour ago, Roosting said:

Engine developed a tic. It's not valve train related and appears to be the tensioner has lost it's spring.

I could move the chain guide with about 2 lb of force. I think it should be a lot more............. You can see the guide snap back after a compression stroke and I think that is the tic we hear.

Do you have the valve cover off??

2 hours ago, Roosting said:

Can the cam chain tensioner be removed from the back side of the motor without pulling the jack shaft?

Dosent look like there is much room there but could be possible.

Need to replace one

09 or newer ? 09's had water pump gear issues

Ya had the valve cover off checked all of the valves and assorted bits everything moved freely. sound is coming from the chain area. Turned it over by hand to see the chain guide slap back against the tensioner. That's where I think the tic is from.

I think it's a '10. Drove it 10 miles home when it happened. did not over heat. the 3 plugs look the same as does the exhaust port coloration.

I wanted to run it with the valve cover off but my buddy was not wanting to do it so it never happened. Bolted it back on. Not my sled.

Figured the tensioner is a easy check to pull out and verify operation. But the jack shaft is right there

Ya had the valve cover off checked all of the valves and assorted bits everything moved freely. sound is coming from the chain area. Turned it over by hand to see the chain guide slap back against the tensioner. That's where I think the tic is from.

I think it's a '10. Drove it 10 miles home when it happened. did not over heat. the 3 plugs look the same as does the exhaust port coloration.

I wanted to run it with the valve cover off but my buddy was not wanting to do it so it never happened. Bolted it back on. Not my sled.

Figured the tensioner is a easy check to pull out and verify operation. But the jack shaft is right there

I've never tried pulling the tensioner with motor in sled. It would be easy to pull the mag side mounts and pry the motor up enough to clear

I recall doing a valve lash on my nephews KX250F. If I remember correctly there was a similar looking device in it.

It had a ratcheting mechanism that would ratchet out as the chain stretched. If you took it out you needed to press a pin into a hole to release the ratchet so you could compress it for install. 

I think if it's similar the ratchet mechanism has failed and will not hold up to the chain forces pressing against it.

I recall doing a valve lash on my nephews KX250F. If I remember correctly there was a similar looking device in it.

It had a ratcheting mechanism that would ratchet out as the chain stretched. If you took it out you needed to press a pin into a hole to release the ratchet so you could compress it for install. 

I think if it's similar the ratchet mechanism has failed and will not hold up to the chain forces pressing against it.

No ratcheting anything on 1200....just spring

Look up Cam chain tensioner on YouTube for can am atv. It shows how to tension them, check them etc.

I believe they are same.

4 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Look up Cam chain tensioner on YouTube for can am atv. It shows how to tension them, check them etc.

I believe they are same.

They arent the same. The 1200 is totally different

19 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Explain

It's just a round cylinder with a spring loaded button on the end that threads into the block until it bottoms out as I recall. Now it's been 5 years since I had one apart so going by memory but there wasnt any adjustment that I recall. I believe I have a tensioner on my work bench still. I'll look at it when I get home.

9 hours ago, f7ben said:

It's just a round cylinder with a spring loaded button on the end that threads into the block until it bottoms out as I recall. Now it's been 5 years since I had one apart so going by memory but there wasnt any adjustment that I recall. I believe I have a tensioner on my work bench still. I'll look at it when I get home.

Sure sounds like the can am atv tensiiner

2 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Sure sounds like the can am atv tensiiner

Here a pic. Spring loaded cylinder drops into the block and then you thread the bolt in until the oring seats. No adjustment.

s-l400 (1).jpg