Jeep Grand Cherokee.. ..any good?

1 minute ago, Skidood said:

As the title says.  Does anyone own one or used to?  They have good promotions on the leftover 2019’s and not a bad looking rig

Bought my daughter a 2016(?) a couple years ago.  So far, so good.  Just a tire pressure sensor out on it.  Not sure of the miles now, 60k maybe?  

Yes. We have had 2 and bought both new. A 2015 altitude with the V6 and 8 speed trans. The only problem that we had with that in nearly 80k miles was that the Bluetooth module went out under warranty. 0 mechanical issues and we didn’t even do tires and brakes before trading it in on a new 2018 last year. Resale is fantastic on them, we got nearly 22k for a 78k mile bald tire Jeep. 

the 2018 is essentially the same spec Jeep with the altitude package and same engine and trans combo, but upgraded alpine stereo. It’s got 25k so far on it has had absolutely no issues.

I highly recommend the tow package on it, the 3.55 rear end makes them feel a lot better with the V6 and you get a full size spare, auto leveling suspension, etc. they’re great cars

Edited by thewayout

3 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

My neighbor has had a lot of issues with electronics with his 2017.

That’s the shit that scares me with all these new vehicles.  Everything is tied  to that fucking fancy touchscreen.  If something with that goes wrong, screwed.  And how much is that to replace?  $5k?

smh.  My truck still uses a good old fashioned key to start it.

I’m a Ford guy. Have a 2011 Edge and 2014 F-150 at the moment and have both been flawless.  I was a Ford mechanic for more than 18 years at one dealer, but switched trades 12 years ago, so I don’t have the inside deal anymore on the Fords.  A buddy that is still a tech there told me to stay away from the new Explorer(2020) as it’s plagued with issues, so looking around at the competition and the Grand Cherokee caught my interest.  I keep my vehicles for 10 years, so want something reliable.  Have a new driver in the family too, so need a third vehicle.

Every manu makes lemons, some are just worse than others. Do your homework, see who has the "most" issues and take it from there. My 09 Sierra was a POS and I also know someone who currently has a 17 Ford Explorer who can't keep it from the dealers.

A guy on the news the other night had a 18 GMC Traverse and it has been to the dealer over 50 times!! 

https://globalnews.ca/news/6003705/chevrolet-traverse-issues-consumer-sos/

7 minutes ago, Skidood said:

I’m a Ford guy. Have a 2011 Edge and 2014 F-150 at the moment and have both been flawless.  I was a Ford mechanic for more than 18 years at one dealer, but switched trades 12 years ago, so I don’t have the inside deal anymore on the Fords.  A buddy that is still a tech there told me to stay away from the new Explorer(2020) as it’s plagued with issues, so looking around at the competition and the Grand Cherokee caught my interest.  I keep my vehicles for 10 years, so want something reliable.  Have a new driver in the family too, so need a third vehicle.

I don’t have much faith ours will last ten years but, I’m sure it’ll be gone long before then.  I could be wrong but, I’ve never put much faith in Dodge/Chrysler products  :dunno:

1 minute ago, irv said:

Every manu makes lemons, some are just worse than others. Do your homework, see who has the "most" issues and take it from there. My 09 Sierra was a POS and I also know someone who currently has a 17 Ford Explorer who can't keep it from the dealers.

A guy on the news the other night had a 18 GMC Traverse and it has been to the dealer over 50 times!! 

I’ve been a GM guy since day one.  My last Silverado hit 60k and just started falling apart.  It was unreal.  I think it was a 2010.  Went Tundra after that...still not looking back.

• Like 1

Just now, Zambroski said:

I’ve been a GM guy since day one.  My last Silverado hit 60k and just started falling apart.  It was unreal.  I think it was a 2010.  Went Tundra after that...still not looking back.

My 09 GMC was nothing but junk!! From the gutless POS 5.3 that needed replacing at 8,000 kms to a myriad of other problems. By far, the worse truck I have ever owned. 

Not saying Ram's are perfect but my 13, to date, has been excellent. Almost at 80,000 kms and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. :bc:

4 minutes ago, irv said:

We looked at comparable SUV's from the big 3 and Toyota and the Exploder was the best fit for us, all things considered.  Really wanted a 4Runner, but not the price or fuel economy.  Made sure we got the NA 3.5L motor.  

Just now, racinfarmer said:

We looked at comparable SUV's from the big 3 and Toyota and the Exploder was the best fit for us, all things considered.  Really wanted a 4Runner, but not the price or fuel economy.  Made sure we got the NA 3.5L motor.  

I looked at Yote's and Nissan's as well and couldn't believe the MPG ratings. I honestly thought they would be better than North American built models. The price of them did nothing for me as well. 

I laughed at people who told me to try/buy a Ram but I am glad I did. 

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

My Edge has the 3.5L, it’s a good motor.. ..internal water pump though that are the higher mileage failure.

Edited by Skidood

7 minutes ago, irv said:

My 09 GMC was nothing but junk!! From the gutless POS 5.3 that needed replacing at 8,000 kms to a myriad of other problems. By far, the worse truck I have ever owned. 

Not saying Ram's are perfect but my 13, to date, has been excellent. Almost at 80,000 kms and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. :bc:

Yeah, I was really surprised.  All my Chevy trucks before that hit 100k with ease.  This one literally just started falling apart on me at 60k. Miserable.  Fucking tie-rods, bearings, broken misc. shit due to it being a fucking rattle trap and a binch of electrical gremlins.  swear, that dash was gonna come off in my lap once hitting some washboards.  What a fucking pile.  Smh.  Nice looking ride though...

DSCN1544 (2).JPG

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

We are having the Transmission rebuilt in my daughters Lexus (fancy Toyota) right now...granted it has 160,000 on the clock but I wasn't expecting something like this.

12 minutes ago, irv said:

I looked at Yote's and Nissan's as well and couldn't believe the MPG ratings. I honestly thought they would be better than North American built models. The price of them did nothing for me as well. 

My Toyota gets the worst mileage of any truck I've ever had.  It's not even a comparison.  Tundras are known for their shitty mileage.  I think I avg 11-12 at best.  Of course, my mods in it don't help a bit but...it's always sucked.  

56 minutes ago, irv said:

You want shocking, look at the AWD Taurus...

1 hour ago, Skidood said:

My Edge has the 3.5L, it’s a good motor.. ..internal water pump though that are the higher mileage failure.

did mine a couple months ago at just over 120k.  fucking stupid design that cost me $1500 for what should be a $500 repair.  

4 hours ago, Zambroski said:

That’s the shit that scares me with all these new vehicles.  Everything is tied  to that fucking fancy touchscreen.  If something with that goes wrong, screwed.  And how much is that to replace?  $5k?

x2

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

did mine a couple months ago at just over 120k.  fucking stupid design that cost me $1500 for what should be a $500 repair.  

That is fucking stupid. f-150 just had a water pump and rear brakes for under $500

5 hours ago, Zambroski said:

He said every jeep he's owned has had electrical gremlins but this one is the worst. Some people just never learn.

• Like 1