Emphasis on Education???

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 minutes ago, racer254 said:

NCAA just misses 1 billion in annual revenue.

Again, can someone explain why these colleges need state funding?

:lol: 

The NCAA's 1 billion won't go far considering all the member institutions involved.  

:lmao:

I'm still laughing at your stupidity - how one can jump from the NCAA's 1 B to state funding.... ::nuts:  what it really shows is your stupidity and complete lack of perspective :snack:

Edited by SnowRider

This was something we could all start to agree in until that stupid fucking troll dick rider got here.

Our university "higher" education system is a joke.  It has managed to con everyone including employers that the best qualified candidates have degrees.  All while raising tuitions accepting state funds and private donations.  I've made pushes away from that requirement to include "similar experience" or military.  I'd take a 22-24 year old ready to be somebody and send him to school as he worked.  Worthless degrees being pumped out by the thousands every year to idiots that think it is a "entitled and deserving" accolade.  

How about we start getting our public education in check first and quit shuttling these kids through K-12 by mediocre educators who are "safe and tenured".  What a joke that is.  Some of the dumbest people I've ever met in my life are teachers.  And I mean complete idiots enjoying their choice in an easy profession where accountability is minimal.  Our kids deserve better than ranking in the 25th (or worse) percentile in the world.

19 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

:lol: 

The NCAA's 1 billion won't go far considering all the member institutions involved.  

:lmao:

I'm still laughing at your stupidity - how one can jump from the NCAA's 1 B to state funding.... ::nuts:  what it really shows is your stupidity and complete lack of perspective :snack:

Please, tell us more.  Is the NCAA big business or is it considered post hs education?

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Please, tell us more.  Is the NCAA big business or is it considered post hs education?

Oh, their family is a well rounded part of the problem.  He's a complete democrats twit, she's a teacher, and their kids are being indoctrinated appropriately.

An "idiot cell" to rival even the most dangerous terrorists cells.

Edited by Zambroski

59 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Oh, their family is a well rounded part of the problem.  He's a complete democrats twit, she's a teacher, and their kids are being indoctrinated appropriately.

An "idiot cell" to rival even the most dangerous terrorists cells.

Without a talking point meme he is lost.  Like most dems, he gets confused when you put 2 of their talking points together and they contradict each other.

Edited by racer254

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

College has become a corporate business

They have conspired with the banks who are probably reaping the benefits on both sides now. Former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels took a nice job as President of Purdue University after his term limit expired as governor. Word is that he may be running again...

15 minutes ago, Anler said:

They have conspired with the banks who are probably reaping the benefits on both sides now. Former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels took a nice job as President of Purdue University after his term limit expired as governor. Word is that he may be running again...

I like Daniels.  How is he doing as President of Purdue?

Just looked up a little:

Purdue announced it would freeze tuition for two years, eventually extending the freeze for four years. As a result, four-year graduates from the class of 2016 will become the first in at least 40 years to leave Purdue having never experienced a tuition increase.

Edited by racer254

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

I like Daniels.  How is he doing as President of Purdue?

Just looked up a little:

Purdue announced it would freeze tuition for two years, eventually extending the freeze for four years. As a result, four-year graduates from the class of 2016 will become the first in at least 40 years to leave Purdue having never experienced a tuition increase.

LOL, how is he doing as president of Purdue? He is doing great... $$$$ :lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member

State colleges shouldn't get any money.   U of I endowment fund it around $1.3 billion and its small compared to some like U of Mich which is almost $10 billion.  At 5% interest thats a cool $65 million gain for U of I.  

People donate huge amounts of money and get large tax breaks.   Then on top of that the govt piles more money their way.   One of the most crooked systems in our country.  

Big ten network paid all members $22 million from just the big 10 network revenues a few years ago.  

In 2013 fed and state govts spend just under $150 billion on higher education already!  Thats enough for 10 million students paying $15,000 a year tuition.  America has to be the poorest managed country in the entire world.  We have wealth beyond means yet things like this go on.  

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/06/12/study-us-higher-education-receives-more-federal-state-governments

In 2013 the federal government spent nearly $76 billion on higher education, while states spent about $3 billion less, according to the "Federal and State Funding of Higher Education" study. Federal support include nearly $25 billion in research funding obligations, which are paid over a series of years depending on the length of a research project

Total public funding per full-time-equivalent student for higher education fell 12 percent in the 12-year period starting in 2000, when adjusted for inflation.

Yet during that time, federal funding nearly doubled while state funding fell -- federal funding grew from $43 billion to $83 billion, while state funding dropped from $78 billion to $71 billion.

Meanwhile, enrollment skyrocketed, growing by 45 percent.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Anler said:

LOL, how is he doing as president of Purdue? He is doing great... $$$$ :lol:

By looking at Wiki, it sounds like he is doing a good job.  What's your take on it?

When Daniels was hired by Purdue he requested that his salary be less than his predecessors maximum salary and that 30 percent of his take home be based on the results of biannual performance reviews. Daniel’s base salary of $420,000 is $135,000 less than the prior president’s salary. Under the contract, his salary can grow to a maximum of $546,000 based on the results of a performance-bonus system—still less than his predecessor and the 3rd lowest in the 12-member Big Ten.[133] In November 2014, Daniels earned 88 percent of his at risk pay, receiving the grade of a B+ from the Trustees.