@#&% Batteries WTF?

13 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I still have original battery in my 98 Viper GTS......I have no clue why it hasn't failed yet. I don't drive it very much (only 14k on the clock)and always keep it on a trickle charger.....but still?...going on 22 years

That is key right there. Any car/vehicle not being driven any real distances will have a shorter battery life than those that are driven lots and for some distances.

I've been told, despite my wife's car being driven daily, that since her drive is rather short (20 km's a day in city traffic) that her battery life will be quite short. I've been advised to occasionally put it on a trickle charge/Battery Tender on weekends to help extend its life.

I haven't done it yet as her battery is a beeatch to get at but I may do it soon before winter approaches. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, irv said:

A lot of Interstate batteries are made in Mexico nowadays but I have no idea if the quality has suffered? My deep cycle Interstate marine battery shit the bed this year but I think that was mainly neglect from the marina where I stored my boat. https://www.b4usa.com/interstate-battery/

I recently took the tops off to check the water level and most holes were down with the ones on the negative side showing the plates. I added water and put it on charge with a Battery Tender JR then a regular auto charger on 10 amps but I can't get the battery above 5 volts.

It's pooched, imo, so I will need a new one come spring but I am unsure if I should stick with Interstate or go to something else? The battery in question has only ran the radio occasionally the last few years but did have a bit of service running my trolling motor when new. It is likely 5 yrs old now? 

I hope to do some fishing next year so I am looking for something that can take a bit of abuse running an electric trolling motor. I like Interstate batteries and have nothing against them, I am just curious if something better now exists out there that will last longer?

Pick it up and drop it 2 feet onto a plank a couple times, then try to charge it..

2 hours ago, irv said:

That is key right there. Any car/vehicle not being driven any real distances will have a shorter battery life than those that are driven lots and for some distances.

I've been told, despite my wife's car being driven daily, that since her drive is rather short (20 km's a day in city traffic) that her battery life will be quite short. I've been advised to occasionally put it on a trickle charge/Battery Tender on weekends to help extend its life.

I haven't done it yet as her battery is a beeatch to get at but I may do it soon before winter approaches. 

We use solar panels on our 3 trucks including the plow truck which is only used a few times a year..

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 hours ago, Mainecat said:

In the last week-

Batteries that croaked,

F150

Escape

Sled

UPS

security system

TV remote

An hour ago wife says there is something chirping upstairs. Another fuckin battery. Need to do all 3 levels now.

Am I done yet? Should I try the garage door?

Ford and Arctic Cat driver.   Explains a lot.  :lol:  :poke:

39 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Pick it up and drop it 2 feet onto a plank a couple times, then try to charge it..

Never heard of that before but I guess, since I have nothing to lose, it's worth a shot? What does that do exactly?

22 minutes ago, irv said:

Never heard of that before but I guess, since I have nothing to lose, it's worth a shot? What does that do exactly?

Batteries become sulfated, dropping them can break it lose.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Batteries become sulfated, dropping them can break it lose.

Because the water level got low I don't think that's my problem but I will try it just the same. No worries of it splitting open? 

3 hours ago, irv said:

Because the water level got low I don't think that's my problem but I will try it just the same. No worries of it splitting open? 

Never happened to me, but always wear eye protection..

• Thanks 1