Check your account email address ×

40% of retirees draw social security from outside United States

spin_dry

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

It’s called hyperbole Tom...you guys said just “existing”....you know what the fuck I meant.

How much does it cost you to live now?  Plan on needing 75% of that in retirement unless you're going to change your lifestyle.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

How much does it cost you to live now?  Plan on needing 75% of that in retirement unless you're going to change your lifestyle.  

I’m just a simple housepainter Tom that’s “existing “ up here in the sticks...I’ll be fine. 

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I could live on $3k a month without suffering.i think Tom was meaning $4k a month for a couple. They would be pretty tight. 

I live on about $4k per month and that's with plenty of spending at bars and restaurants. 

I could do $3k but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun, that's for sure. I eat out for lunch M-F. 

According to that article the average couple will spend $285,000 on medical expenses in retirement.  That breaks down to over $1000 per month.  Healthcare will be most peoples biggest expense in retirement.  It's by far my biggest expense.  

9 minutes ago, SSFB said:

I live on about $4k per month and that's with plenty of spending at bars and restaurants. 

I could do $3k but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun, that's for sure. I eat out for lunch M-F. 

And how much would you spend if you were married?  

6 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

You sure couldn't live where Tom lives on 4k a month, but where I live you could do pretty well.

My expenses are very low actually.  Property tax and insurance are pretty low.  No state  income tax.  No sales tax.  Utilities are very reasonable.  Going out to eat is a bit spendy but we try to only go out about 4 times per week.  

Havasu is pretty inexpensive too.  Groceries are really inexpensive there.  Going out to eat is very reasonable.  

9 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

According to that article the average couple will spend $285,000 on medical expenses in retirement.  That breaks down to over $1000 per month.  Healthcare will be most peoples biggest expense in retirement.  It's by far my biggest expense.  

How are you doing health insurance? Retiring before 65 without Medicare can be expensive I'm guessing.

8 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Healthcare is definitely the biggest expense. For me it’s about $800/mo. I’m able to cover that working a few hours every month. My ex and I did our share of traveling when we were younger. That doesn’t really excite me any longer. I’m looking forward to pulling the trailer out west next year but that’s about the extent of my desire for travel. I really like spending this time with family and the friends I made working as a therapist over the years. This afternoon I attended a gathering of recovering people. About 1500 attended. Music, speakers, and lots of food. So many faces from the past. Can’t put a price tag on that stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

How are you doing health insurance? Retiring before 65 without Medicare can be expensive I'm guessing.

I pay my own health insurance.  $725 for health insurance, $110 for dental.  Most couples will spend about $1000 per month on health related expenses.  That's if they are healthy and don't have any major medical issues.  Toss in a hip replacement or knee replacement and those expenses triple.  

11 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Healthcare is definitely the biggest expense. For me it’s about $800/mo. I’m able to cover that working a few hours every month. My ex and I did our share of traveling when we were younger. That doesn’t really excite me any longer. I’m looking forward to pulling the trailer out west next year but that’s about the extent of my desire for travel. I really like spending this time with family and the friends I made working as a therapist over the years. This afternoon I attended a gathering of recovering people. About 1500 attended. Music, speakers, and lots of food. So many faces from the past. Can’t put a price tag on that stuff. 

Yep, $800 sounds about right.  It would be a little more if you were covering a spouse or partner.  

We have traveled all over the country and world too.  We want to see more of the US but on a much more relaxed pace.  Right now the southwest works good for us but we will likely start traveling a bit more in the coming years.  

You should budget about $50/day for campground fees.  Some campgrounds don't cost $50 but some cost way more than $50.  Boondocking is cheap but you eventually have to dump and refill with water.  

36 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

My expenses are very low actually.  Property tax and insurance are pretty low.  No state  income tax.  No sales tax.  Utilities are very reasonable.  Going out to eat is a bit spendy but we try to only go out about 4 times per week.  

Havasu is pretty inexpensive too.  Groceries are really inexpensive there.  Going out to eat is very reasonable.  

Maybe it has changed but when I was in Alaska the prices were damn near double what they are here on average, 16 years later I can still buy a hamburger and fries here cheaper than a smaller burger and no fries there.

13 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yep, $800 sounds about right.  It would be a little more if you were covering a spouse or partner.  

We have traveled all over the country and world too.  We want to see more of the US but on a much more relaxed pace.  Right now the southwest works good for us but we will likely start traveling a bit more in the coming years.  

You should budget about $50/day for campground fees.  Some campgrounds don't cost $50 but some cost way more than $50.  Boondocking is cheap but you eventually have to dump and refill with water.  

You can dump at momo's for free, he loves a free lunch.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 1jkw said:

Maybe it has changed but when I was in Alaska the prices were damn near double what they are here on average, 16 years later I can still buy a hamburger and fries here cheaper than a smaller burger and no fries there.

Going out to eat in Alaska is expensive.  About the same price you pay in any city in the states.  Many other things here is as cheap or cheaper than other places especially when you consider no sales or state income tax.  We pay about $.09 per KWHR.  Our natural gas is pretty cheap.  Our property tax mill rate averages 10 or less for most people.  Everyone over 65 gets $200k subtracted from the value of your primary residence.  Over 65 get free hunting, fishing, drivers license.  Vehicle registration is super cheap.  You pay no sales tax on a vehicle purchase.  Vehicles over 8 years old get free registration and plates.  

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Going out to eat in Alaska is expensive.  About the same price you pay in any city in the states.  Many other things here is as cheap or cheaper than other places especially when you consider no sales or state income tax.  We pay about $.09 per KWHR.  Our natural gas is pretty cheap.  Our property tax mill rate averages 10 or less for most people.  Everyone over 65 gets $200k subtracted from the value of your primary residence.  Over 65 get free hunting, fishing, drivers license.  Vehicle registration is super cheap.  You pay no sales tax on a vehicle purchase.  Vehicles over 8 years old get free registration and plates.  

But then you got to travel about 6-7 months solid out of the year to get away from old man winter in retirement.

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The least expensive place we found was harpoon Hanna's.  There is a great deal of homes here that are not even 100k, there was a decent little ranch with a garage and 5 acres just sold for like 140k, our school taxes kill us here NG is cheaper now than 15 years ago that's about the only thing that is though. The sales tax on vehicles and the fees for titles and registration are high.  Maybe Alaska isn't as expensive to live in as it is to vacation in.

Groceries are a bit more expensive in Alaska than other places.  Standard items like toothpaste, shampoo, toilet paper, deodorant, etc are all the same price in Alaska as anywhere else. 

Milk is about $3.50/gal

Bread is about $2.25 for a large 1.5lb loaf. 

Chicken legs and thighs are about $.90/lb.

Chicken breast is about $2.50/lb

90% lean ground beef is about $4/lb

Fruit here is a little more expensive.  Naval oranges are about $1.50/lb.  

Roma tomatoes are about #1.25/lb

Beefsteak tomatoes are about $2/lb

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

The least expensive place we found was harpoon Hanna's.  There is a great deal of homes here that are not even 100k, there was a decent little ranch with a garage and 5 acres just sold for like 140k, our school taxes kill us here NG is cheaper now than 15 years ago that's about the only thing that is though. The sales tax on vehicles and the fees for titles and registration are high.  Maybe Alaska isn't as expensive to live in as it is to vacation in.

We pay $10/month for school taxes.  Homes here are expensive.  Primarily because they are built with fairly expensive materials to fairly strict building codes.  No exterior walls are 2x4, all 2x6 or 2x8.  Every window is double or triple pane.  Building codes require interior and exterior vapor barrier.  R19 is the minimum acceptable insulation in an exterior wall.  R30 is standard for the ceiling with many builders going with R50 or higher.  

A new construction 1300sqft home 3br, 2 bath 2 car garage on an acre is around $200k.  But that home will have an $80/month gas bill in winter and $30/month in summer.  Electric bill will average under $75 all year long.  Taxes will be about $2000/year 

5 hours ago, snoughnut said:

There’s a lot of people who don’t travel in retirement and do the things that maybe you are able to do, pull your head out of your ass.

You’re wrong but you can’t admit it. Like I said, you sound like an elitist snob.

Healthcare alone will eat up $1000 of a couples $4000 per month.  Now they are living on $3000.  Can a couple live on $3000 per month where you live?  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Healthcare alone will eat up $1000 of a couples $4000 per month.  Now they are living on $3000.  Can a couple live on $3000 per month where you live?  

After taxes $3000, yeah pretty easy here with no house payment and low $1200 a year property taxes.

Just now, Big Crappie said:

After taxes $3000, yeah pretty easy here with no house payment and low $1200 a year property taxes.

What are energy costs there?  

What is the value of a piece of property that is taxed at $1200/year.  

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah...I picture you  as the big traveling and visiting family type of guy....SMH. 

Hell most of the time you sound like you want to eat a bullet now. 

i've been all over the country but still have the northwest corner to go and visit as well as europe and I enjoy visiting my parents and I hope my kids get out and explore before settling down so i will go visit them as well.  I plan on being like my parents who in the course of a year prob spend 45 days on a cruise ship as they have knocked off all 50 states