40% of retirees draw social security from outside United States

spin_dry

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You could exist.  You aren't doing much other than existing.  You definitely aren't going and doing things.  You aren't traveling.  

There’s a lot of people who don’t travel in retirement and do the things that maybe you are able to do, pull your head out of your ass.

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Bordering on poverty.  

You’re wrong but you can’t admit it. Like I said, you sound like an elitist snob.

Edited by snoughnut
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

There’s a lot of people who don’t travel in retirement and do the things that maybe you are able to do, pull your head out of your ass.

You’re wrong but you can’t admit it.

You couldn't live on $4k per month.  It would be a significant lifestyle change for you to live on that little money.  

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

No one on this forum could live on $4k per month.  

In retirement? Easily.

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

You couldn't live on $4k per month.  It would be a significant lifestyle change for you to live on that little money.  

See above and you have no idea what my lifestyle is.

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You’re wrong but you can’t admit it. Like I said, you sound like an elitist snob.

Agreed....Tom retired early bought  bunch of bullshit and travels the country...my Mom and Stepdad (both gone now) worked until 65 and enjoyed a quiet retirement yet still took vacations, ate out etc.....I guarantee their expenses were way less than 4000/month. and certainly we're not living in poverty. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Thanks 1

Just now, snoughnut said:

In retirement? Easily.

Maybe living on a shoestring budget doing almost next to nothing.  

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

Agreed....Tom retired early bought  bunch of bullshit and travels the country...my Mom and Stepdad (both gone now) worked until 65 and enjoyed a quiet retirement yet still took vacations, ate out etc.....I guarantee their expenses were way less than 4000/month.

That was a while ago.  $4k isn't what it used to be.  

What bull shit did I buy?  

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Agreed....Tom retired early bought  bunch of bullshit and travels the country...my Mom and Stepdad (both gone now) worked until 65 and enjoyed a quiet retirement yet still took vacations, ate out etc.....I guarantee their expenses were way less than 4000/month. and certainly we're not living in poverty. 

Yeah well according to the resident dwarf, if you are not pulling in 10k+ per month during retirement you are a destitute loser. :lol:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Maybe living on a shoestring budget doing almost next to nothing.  

That was a while ago.  $4k isn't what it used to be.  

What bull shit did I buy?  

Fuck I don’t know...Motorhome, boat...place in Havasu maybe? Point is most retirees are living on  a lot less than 8,000 x12 = 96,000 a year.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Fuck I don’t know...Motorhome, boat...place in Havasu maybe? Point is most retirees are living on  a lot less than 8,000 x12 = 96,000 a year.

Most probably are for sure.  $96k per year before taxes is about $75-80k after state and federal taxes.  That is doable if everything is paid off.

To live comfortably in retirement without a lifestyle change you need to be able to draw/earn 75% of your preretirement income.  If you needed $100k to live during your employed years you need $75k in your retired years to live the same lifestyle.  

58 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I could live on $3k a month without suffering.i think Tom was meaning $4k a month for a couple. They would be pretty tight. 

I was talking about a couple for sure.  I mentioned "couple" in my first post.  

Sure an individual could survive on $3k per month but you aren't doing much and are definitely living near poverty levels on that income.  I thought I read in that other thread a few weeks back that $36k per year was below poverty level.  

The bottom line is this.  You need 75% of your preretirement income to live comfortably in retirement unless you change your lifestyle.  It will take a complete lifestyle change to live on $4k per month if you are currently living on $7k per month.  

2 hours ago, snoughnut said:

Now you’re just being stupid, that’s just your opinion. The average retirees in the US are living on 3800 per month and you call 4000 poverty? Trust me, there’s not a lot people retiring enjoying the lifestyle you do, open your eyes.

why retire if you can't actually enjoy it and travel and see family.  Might as well eat a bullet if all you are going to do is just exist.  

32 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

why retire if you can't actually enjoy it and travel and see family.  Might as well eat a bullet if all you are going to do is just exist.  

Yeah...I picture you  as the big traveling and visiting family type of guy....SMH. 

Hell most of the time you sound like you want to eat a bullet now. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Exactly.  

How do you and Eyore know what people need to enjoy their retirement...maybe family is close by and travel isn't required. Maybe people are happy where they live and don't even want to travel...you two  have them eating tins of cat food and living in boxes for fucks sake. 

• Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Don’t make it about me, I was just telling the dwarf that living off 4K per month in retirement is not poverty, which it’s not. Are you an elitist snob also? For some people just having the freedom to not work any more is enough to be able to retire. By the way, according to your wisdom, a lot of people should eat a bullet because they’re certainly not retiring to your standards. I think you and the dwarf should share a humble pie.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, snoughnut said:

Don’t make it about me, I was just telling the dwarf that living off 4K per month in retirement is not poverty, which it’s not. Are you an elitist snob also? For some people just having the freedom to not work any more is enough to be able to retire. By the way, according to your wisdom, a lot of people should eat a bullet because they’re certainly not retiring to your standards. I think you and the dwarf should share a humble pie.

Why do you let my opinion bother you so much?  

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

How do you and Eyore know what people need to enjoy their retirement...maybe family is close by and travel isn't required. Maybe people are happy where they live and don't even want to travel...you two  have them eating tins of cat food and living in boxes for fucks sake. 

Why do you make shit up.  No one here said any such thing.  

27 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Why do you make shit up.  No one here said any such thing.  

It’s called hyperbole Tom...you guys said just “existing”....you know what the fuck I meant.

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

No one on this forum could live on $4k per month.  

3 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

I could easily.

I guess I can your play game Tom...why are you making shit up?