40% of retirees draw social security from outside United States

spin_dry

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, Highmark said:

I'd bet not 15% of American's have $8000 a month income to spend during retirement.   Personally I think that is an incredible amount and if you can't have a fucking amazing retirement on that then somethings wrong.  

That's prolly about the amount that have that as income while they are working.

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

If I were Snake is what I meant.

And I am semi retired.  I'm doing a little consulting for BP.  I'm actually rewriting all the training and competency assessment manuals for Operations Technicians. I work 2 weeks and then take 4 weeks off. 

I would like that much better then my current gig .

36 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

SS isn’t going anywhere.  You want to see a revolution and blood in the streets try taking their SS away.  I can see means testing and raising the age a little bit more, but it will never go away imo.  

No it isn't. 

Few simple changes would fix it. 

1 , increase the contribution by 1/10 of 1 %  a yr for 10 yrs. 

2 , Increase retirement age by 1 month per yr for 12 yrs. 

3 When someone reaches retirement age, if they want to continue to work , let them do so without paying federal income taxes. If they retired they would not be paying federal taxes anyways ( besides investments , real estate ect) . Only now they would not be taking money out of the SS system.

15 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My father in law went into assisted living living because of the onset of dementia. The hardest part of him being there is how his piece of shit sons abandoned him. They couldn’t deal with a father that swore at them. He lived out his remaining years there. We’d visit him several times a week. His place was 4 blocks cos from where I worked. He was comfortable and it was a really nice place. 

My dad went into one at 92, we did not abandon him in fact it was his wish.  His mind was sharp and clear until the end but not his mobility.  

Wife and I do not want to put our moms in one unless its their wish.  Time will tell, it sucks getting old.:bc:

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My dad went into one at 92, we did not abandon him in fact it was his wish.  His mind was sharp and clear until the end but not his mobility.  

Wife and I do not want to put our moms in one unless its their wish.  Time will tell, it sucks getting old.:bc:

My mom is 85 and just lost her companion of 10 years a couple weeks ago.   They have a beautiful home in Florida and a nice new Cadillac SUV to drive. My brother and I are going to have to make a decision real real soon about her driving. We already got her one of those medical alert bracelets, because we’re a bit nervous about her being alone now.  Her mind is sharp as can be, but her mobility has really slowed down.  I worry about her being lonely more than anything else, but she does not want to move back to Connecticut.  I worry about her being a lonely more than anything else, but she does not want to move back to Connecticut. where all her family is.  Yeah it kind of sucks.  :bc: 

6 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My mom is 85 and just lost her companion of 10 years a couple weeks ago.   They have a beautiful home in Florida and a nice new Cadillac SUV to drive. My brother and I are going to have to make a decision real real soon about her driving. We already got her one of those medical alert bracelets, because we’re a bit nervous about her being alone now.  Her mind is sharp as can be, but her mobility has really slowed down.  I worry about her being lonely more than anything else, but she does not want to move back to Connecticut.  I worry about her being a lonely more than anything else, but she does not want to move back to Connecticut. where all her family is.  Yeah it kind of sucks.  :bc: 

I think your brother needs to worry about you, you just repeated yourself twice in that post. :lol::bc:

• Haha 3