House build

04nightfire

51 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Ya. WE will be putting a generac in 

You may want to consider putting in battery back up with the automatic transfer switch as well. It will carry the load while the generator starts. Power goes out and you may not even know it. Power fails, load immediately draws off the backup batteries which triggers the generator to start and when the generator is up and running the load seamlessly transfers to the generator which also recharges the batteries. As for the $1M house... not anything out of line... just imagine if it was in Toronto. You can't take the money with you.

Edited by 02sled

15 minutes ago, 02sled said:

You may want to consider putting in battery back up with the automatic transfer switch as well. It will carry the load while the generator starts. Power goes out and you may not even know it. Power fails, load immediately draws off the backup batteries which triggers the generator to start and when the generator is up and running the load seamlessly transfers to the generator which also recharges the batteries. As for the $1M house... not anything out of line... just imagine if it was in Toronto. You can't take the money with you.

Will definitely look into that.  :bc:

4 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Will definitely look into that.  :bc:

One of my employees parents have just a battery backup system at their place.  There is no drop of power and the system runs just the critical devices, it last for about a day or so.

18 hours ago, 02sled said:

So battery back up to hold you over for the time until the generator kicks in?  Or you get it started?

Whats so bad that if power goes out in house for 10 or 15 seconds or even if it takes 10 or 15 minutes before generator kicks in or heaven forbid you have to go outside to start it?

Netflix might get movie disrupted?

society is getting way too soft these days.   

5 hours ago, Sksman said:

So battery back up to hold you over for the time until the generator kicks in?  Or you get it started?

Whats so bad that if power goes out in house for 10 or 15 seconds or even if it takes 10 or 15 minutes before generator kicks in or heaven forbid you have to go outside to start it?

Netflix might get movie disrupted?

society is getting way too soft these days.   

It's not the end of the world if you have an interruption in power and have to wait for the generator to start or go outside and start it. It's not the end of the world not having a backup generator either. People got along without them for many years. Having the uninterrupted power supply is just a nice to have just like having a generator or an auto start on the generator is a nice to have. There are benefits however. If you are away and don't have an auto start on the generator you could in the summer lose food in the freezer and fridge and in the winter you could end up with frozen water pipes, cracked toilets and lose food in the cupboards that freezes if you are away long enough. Having the battery backup in between is just a nice to have. It eliminates the power surges to sensitive electronics and actually reduces the surge load capacity that you need to have on the generator. Computers aren't as sensitive as they used to be but they still are vulnerable to crashing and not properly recovering when the power goes out or damaging the power supply and other components with a power surge. It also wouldn't be the first time a generator starts but when there is a sudden large power surge as everything restarts the generator coughs and sputters under the load and quits.

Are you planning to have a basement below your 2 car garage?

Looks like you have 8 or 9 foot foundation walls for the entire perimeter of the garage, which is not the norm, unless things have changed as of late. 

I am sure your foundation price is on the high side seeing as you are building a bungalow, most homes now a days are 2 storeys, so the footprint/concrete work is decreased a fair amount. 

Looks like framing should start in another week or two....good stuff.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Looks like you have 8 or 9 foot foundation walls for the entire perimeter of the garage, which is not the norm, unless things have changed as of late. 

I am sure your foundation price is on the high side seeing as you are building a bungalow, most homes now a days are 2 storeys, so the footprint/concrete work is decreased a fair amount. 

No basement under the garage. It wasn't suppose to be that tall for the garage but changes got made with the way the property slopes and how far we had to come out of the ground. I should have walls and backfilling done by Friday and can start framing and my septic next week. 

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

full foundation is normal for entire house

15 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

full foundation is normal for entire house

When did this change?

I have not seen, or paid particular attention to any recent foundations, but any spaces without a "living space" below it i.e. garage, only had 4 to 5 foot foundation walls, and usually the dirt was only excavated where the footings and walls go, the dirt was left in place in the middle of the non living space as it was entirely back filled and a garage floor poured.

I now see why Aaron's is the way it is, due to his elevation and it looks like his home will actually end up sitting above grade a fair amount.  

20 minutes ago, Oggy said:

I built a home in 2002 and it was full foundation. I questioned the builder and they told me it was standard procedure. 

Interesting, I did an addition, including an attached garage, in 2010 and the garage foundation was as I mention above.

There are a ton new homes going up around me, I will make an effort to look into this detail.

When my parents house was built in Wasaga Beach the full foundation at the same grade as the rest of the house included the garage. As they explained it at the time the garage walls were all part of the building envelope exterior walls and therefore sat on a foundation that was consistent for the full structure. If the garage was slab on grade and the garage shifted at all since its' foundation was separate from the rest of the house could cause structural cracks in the masonry where the garage integrated into the house.