Boat issues- **PROBLEM SOLVED- thanks

Sedz

2 hours ago, bladefever said:

That prop was probably a variable pitch prop. The more power you applied the more the blades folded.

It's an inboard wakeboard boat. The prop is close to $1000 new. 2 seasons ago we went to pick it up and right away you could tell by the insane vibration that the prop was fucked. They tried to say that we probably did it and didn't notice. When that got shot down they magically happened to have a used/repaired prop that they put on it in stock. This marina doesn't even have gas in stock some seasons lol. 

11 hours ago, Sedz said:

It's an inboard wakeboard boat. The prop is close to $1000 new. 2 seasons ago we went to pick it up and right away you could tell by the insane vibration that the prop was fucked. They tried to say that we probably did it and didn't notice. When that got shot down they magically happened to have a used/repaired prop that they put on it in stock. This marina doesn't even have gas in stock some seasons lol. 

Sounds like the engine doesn't have enough power. That prop they put on could have too much pitch or like I said before the timing is off. I've seen this before with cars, engine starts and runs fine but does not have enough power to move the car. You said it runs crappy, is it running rough or just doesn't have any power.

6 hours ago, bladefever said:

Was only a joke. My friend has a Ski Nautique inboard. Prop is large $$ looks like it's Brass but not sure. That bent blade would feel almost the same as a flat spotted belt on your sled. 

its worse, 1 bent blade and it sounds and feels like you're driving through ball bearings instead of water. They are brass and the edges are razor sharp, doesn't take a hard hit to bend them and even the slightest ding is immediately noticeable.

32 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Sounds like the engine doesn't have enough power. That prop they put on could have too much pitch or like I said before the timing is off. I've seen this before with cars, engine starts and runs fine but does not have enough power to move the car. You said it runs crappy, is it running rough or just doesn't have any power.

prop was the same, it was replaced 2 seasons ago and haven't had any issues since. It feels like it is just missing all over the place.

7 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

My guess is could be the prop.

its computer cotrolled. Get it diagnosed by a scanner.

I keep telling my old man that but he and the MR fix it crew insist they can fix it. The marina it was at has no diagnostics at all. Sounds like a timing issue to me reading everyones advice, hopefully get it sorted this weekend.

Engines are pretty simple.

Spark, fuel air. Change wires, plugs and clean up terminals, change fuel filter. That's about all you can do on those computer units.

Unless you know the distributor setting and can look at fuel pressure you need to scan it.

I haven't read every detail but mold filled interior sounds like the bilge plug was in and that boat filled up, water is now trapped in the hull and it probably froze that way too. Is the trailer bent or was it stored on blocks 

Empty fuel tank: Fuel pick up is gelled up and or fuel filter/water separator is plugged.

Coolant leak in spring ?? Split block or cracked head, head gaskets... it obviously leaked from being froze. Best take compression readings on all cylinders.

Both batteries toast: Either they ran dead on the bilge pumps and they froze or they were under water 

One huge negligence case for sure and add it all up this boat sounds like it was sunk and the fuel floated to the surface

Edited by Tinker

Anything monitored will sound an alarm or illuminate a CEL (as applicable).  But yeah, a diagnostic tool checks more stuff.

What RPM was the engine turning when you were going 13 mph?  That alone will tell you if it's the prop or not.  As mentioned, check your fuel pressure.  Install a gauge inline if you like.

In any case, I'd be spending more effort on sending them a letter/invoice on a lawyer's letterhead.  The negligence is pretty apparent.  No wonder they're struggling.

Sounds like they might have UsedToSkidoo on staff there.....

Edited by Puzzleboy

Boat wasn't sunk. My dads friend appears to have tried to look at it during the week. He emptied 1000lbs of water into the boat because he couldn't figure out how the fat sac ballast pump worked. Smfh

new plugs going in now. 

1 hour ago, Sedz said:

Boat wasn't sunk. My dads friend appears to have tried to look at it during the week. He emptied 1000lbs of water into the boat because he couldn't figure out how the fat sac ballast pump worked. Smfh

new plugs going in now. 

:wall:

Take it to a reputable shop and get boating.

who knows what has now been screwed up by all the backyard mechanics and their fiddling.

It sounds like the marina owners are no wear near as concerned about their business as your dad is in supporting them!   I know it sucks when local marina goes out but so does a summer not boating because unqualified people wrenching on a $120,000 boat.

One question for Sedz.  Why is a guy with your background and knowledge paying money to have your boat winterized and stored?  

10 hours ago, Sksman said:

Take it to a reputable shop and get boating.

who knows what has now been screwed up by all the backyard mechanics and their fiddling.

It sounds like the marina owners are no wear near as concerned about their business as your dad is in supporting them!   I know it sucks when local marina goes out but so does a summer not boating because unqualified people wrenching on a $120,000 boat.

One question for Sedz.  Why is a guy with your background and knowledge paying money to have your boat winterized and stored?  

We don't have any room to store it ourselves and we don't have a trailer. As far as winterizing goes I'm not up north much and would rather pay to have it done than spend my limited time up there doing it myself. 

Changed the plugs and found that 2 were in rough shape. Didn't get a chance to drive it myself but it sounds like it's running good again. 

Side note my redneck donzi had a sketchy maiden voyage. Almost hit a dog that ran out into the lake and almost sunk it when a bunch of water hit the clutches. It spit a clutch weight thru the sidepanel, off the ski and 10 ft into the air. Never seen a sled do that. 

image.jpeg

image.png

got the boat working good again. Took out all the plugs and replaced with new ones. There were 2 plugs that were totally destroyed. I thought pulling the plugs was part of a normal winterizing process?

also go anyone that wake surfs you need to build or buy yourself a wake shaper. I built this beauty ghetto gate outta a piece of a sled ski and a suction handle grip. $15 and 20 minute of my time later I've got a surf wake that is better than any $200 000 nautique or mastercraft. Just suctions to the side of the boat on the opposite side you want to surf and makes a perfect wave. 

IMG_9419.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-06-19-at-1.53.20-PM.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sedz said:

got the boat working good again. Took out all the plugs and replaced with new ones. There were 2 plugs that were totally destroyed. I thought pulling the plugs was part of a normal winterizing process?

also go anyone that wake surfs you need to build or buy yourself a wake shaper. I built this beauty ghetto gate outta a piece of a sled ski and a suction handle grip. $15 and 20 minute of my time later I've got a surf wake that is better than any $200 000 nautique or mastercraft. Just suctions to the side of the boat on the opposite side you want to surf and makes a perfect wave. 

IMG_9419.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-06-19-at-1.53.20-PM.jpg

Nice...   Can you post more pics of how it looks and where you place it on the hull. I tried making a wake gate that would sit between the stern and swim deck and it sent so much water back into the boat. Also where do you buy the suction handle?

5 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Nice...   Can you post more pics of how it looks and where you place it on the hull. I tried making a wake gate that would sit between the stern and swim deck and it sent so much water back into the boat. Also where do you buy the suction handle?

Here is a great thread where I found info on how to build your own suckgate. https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=70442&page=98

I just used a shower grab bar from home depot because that is all i could find before the weekend. It worked good for a few hours but started popping off at the faster speeds i wanted to ride at. We moved it higher up towards the waterline so it would stick better but it sprayed a bit. It works best on my boat as low on the hull as possible and about a foot from the transom. I'm ordering a heavy duty aluminium cosmos on off of amazon and using the large 90* brackets. I also have some hope plastic that i will get for free. Some people on there have also had good luck using the sea stow suction handles. My next version rebuild will look like the orange one below. 

https://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-Aluminum-suction-lifting-pulling/dp/B007VL3CB0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

IMG_9423.jpg

image.jpg

Post #3; you're welcome.  There was no need to read any further.....

If the wires are as old as the boat, I'd do them too.  Especially if the boat sits in the water a lot, is damp, etc. 

On 2016-06-06 at 4:38 PM, Puzzleboy said:

How old is the boat?  Check timing as Merc said...... plugs and wires might be wise also.

Edited by Puzzleboy

23 hours ago, Sedz said:

Here is a great thread where I found info on how to build your own suckgate. https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=70442&page=98

I just used a shower grab bar from home depot because that is all i could find before the weekend. It worked good for a few hours but started popping off at the faster speeds i wanted to ride at. We moved it higher up towards the waterline so it would stick better but it sprayed a bit. It works best on my boat as low on the hull as possible and about a foot from the transom. I'm ordering a heavy duty aluminium cosmos on off of amazon and using the large 90* brackets. I also have some hope plastic that i will get for free. Some people on there have also had good luck using the sea stow suction handles. My next version rebuild will look like the orange one below. 

https://www.amazon.com/COSMOS-Aluminum-suction-lifting-pulling/dp/B007VL3CB0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

IMG_9423.jpg

image.jpg

Thought you said you didn't have a trailer... ;)

18 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Post #3; you're welcome.  There was no need to read any further.....

If the wires are as old as the boat, I'd do them too.  Especially if the boat sits in the water a lot, is damp, etc. 

yeah good call. I guess I assumed that the plugs would be one of the first checks on the list for a marina that couldn't get a boat running after 2 weeks of 'working on it'. 

14 hours ago, Tinker said:

Thought you said you didn't have a trailer... ;)

I don't have a trailer, that picture is of a wake wedge that someone else built that i will be more or less copying. Hopefully all the stuff I ordered on amazon shows up in time so i can build a couple suck gate v 2.0 for myself and some friends.

5 hours ago, Sedz said:

yeah good call. I guess I assumed that the plugs would be one of the first checks on the list for a marina that couldn't get a boat running after 2 weeks of 'working on it'. 

I don't have a trailer, that picture is of a wake wedge that someone else built that i will be more or less copying. Hopefully all the stuff I ordered on amazon shows up in time so i can build a couple suck gate v 2.0 for myself and some friends.

Just ribbin Ya

Can't remember his name, sorry about that (Doo-something or other) said that the marine radios aren't much different than a car radios. He had both apart and other than price they are basically the same. I put a regular car stereo in my boat because I wanted a USB connection on the front. It works fine, is a big step up from what came in it and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm careful to keep the water away from it as much as possible.

The guy I'm thinking of had a fast boat, was a auto mechanic, friends with Diesel93 and unfortunately passed away. Doonut maybe?

1 hour ago, Stud boy said:

Boats, can you use a normal automotive car radio in them or do you need a radio specially made for a boat? My parents picked up a nice used boat last fall and there is no radio in it. 

No issues at all with an automotive stereo, I've had nothing but with amps n subs no problem. I believe it's a potential radio interference classification for the Coast Guard that creates a marine radio. Try and buy speakers with the most plastic, poly or silicone there is to tolerate the water. Ya never know when a stylin dude like puzzler swings by with a couple 250 lb heffers on the back of a stolen Seadoo for snacks 

• Like 1

Hey, those heffers are an integral part of my ballast/wake system.

Marine stereos have a few differences.  My Clarion CMD has no holes on the top surface of the chassis, the PCB is completely encased/waterproofed in urethane, and the front panel is splash proof without a cover.  The wiring harness has a water shedder above it, to prohibit any water ingress into the connector.  The transom remote is waterproof also, and it sees lots of water.  I use 2 automotive amps with no problems, but the decks will eventually fry and be NFG if it's mounted in the cockpit/helm area.  Just a matter of time & the wrong conditions.

Edited by Puzzleboy

4 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Hey, those heffers are an integral part of my ballast/wake system.

Marine stereos have a few differences.  My Clarion CMD has no holes on the top surface of the chassis, the PCB is completely encased/waterproofed in urethane, and the front panel is splash proof without a cover.  The wiring harness has a water shedder above it, to prohibit any water ingress into the connector.  The transom remote is waterproof also, and it sees lots of water.  I use 2 automotive amps with no problems, but the decks will eventually fry and be NFG if it's mounted in the cockpit/helm area.  Just a matter of time & the wrong conditions.

Again the Heffer Factor