f7ben ftmfw

f7ben

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

I know that.  Horizontal insulation around the perimeter of a footing was discontinued over 30 years ago here.  It's not as effective as vertically insulating the footing.  

Wow....the footing is in cold space....I only care about trying to minimize frost penetration. 

I completely understand that.  The idea is to prevent the heat from escaping.  Vertical insulation around the footing prevents the heat from escaping.  Horizontal insulation does not.  

Dude.....there is no heat to escape. There will be 4" of foam under the slab. 

You are not understanding this at all

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

I'm just telling you that your method of insulating a footing was discontinued here 30 years ago.  

And I'm telling you that you have zero idea what's going on here :lol:

You post pics of a monolithic slab with thickened perimeter and analer posts pics of a frost footing and crawl space 

Just now, f7ben said:

Dude.....there is no heat to escape. There will be 4" of foam under the slab. 

You are not understanding this at all

I have been installing pex in slabs for over 30 years.  

Do what you want.  I was only trying to provide a little guidance.  Your method is the old way of insulating a footing.  It's not done that way around here any more.  

Just now, f7ben said:

And I'm telling you that you have zero idea what's going on here :lol:

You post pics of a monolithic slab with thickened perimeter and analer posts pics of a frost footing and crawl space 

So show us an image of how you plan to insulate your footing.  

22 hours ago, f7ben said:

Started forming this up last night at 5pm. Was way low on grade so had to move over 4 yards of dirt by hand over 50' away. Poured at 9:30am.

20190914_123828.jpg

In AK, that footing and future slab would get vertical insulation around the perimeter of the footing.  It would also get horizontal insulation and a vapor barrier above the compacted gravel but below the concrete slab.  

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

This is closer but my footing is close to grade. Hence the emphasis on horizontal insulation out from the footing.

Old school.  Proven less effective over 30 years ago.  

From the University of Minnesota. Not even one time do they describe horizontal insulation.  

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

In AK, that footing and future slab would get vertical insulation around the perimeter of the footing.  It would also get horizontal insulation and a vapor barrier above the compacted gravel but below the concrete slab.  

That is becoming standard practice here.  Not yet code though.  The good contractors put in a good vapor barrier that is sealed tight around any intrusions. (Radon thing, which I think is overblown.)   Insulation works as a vapor barrier.  I'm still a fan of doing the extra step and adding a good vapor barrier for livability.  Concrete likes water.  The vapor barrier opens up long term flooring options.

Ben, it sounds like you are looking at frost protected footings.  I like the additional comfort and heat loss protection of the vertical insulation on the footing.  It may not be required, but it is worth the little bit of extra effort.  You would be surprised how much heat and cold moves through that little bit of exposed footing.

2 minutes ago, favoritos said:

That is becoming standard practice here.  Not yet code though.  The good contractors put in a good vapor barrier that is sealed tight around any intrusions. (Radon thing, which I think is overblown.)   Insulation works as a vapor barrier.  I'm still a fan of doing the extra step and adding a good vapor barrier for livability.  Concrete likes water.  The vapor barrier opens up long term flooring options.

Ben, it sounds like you are looking at frost protected footings.  I like the additional comfort and heat loss protection of the vertical insulation on the footing.  It may not be required, but it is worth the little bit of extra effort.  You would be surprised how much heat and cold moves through that little bit of exposed footing.

I could see putting it vertically on the inside. The outside is getting stone veneer.

Just now, f7ben said:

2 side will be even with grade

Do what you want but the entire perimeter of that footing should have vertical rigid insulation.  Horizontal insulation would work on the below grade parts but only to supplement the vertical insulation.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Do what you want but the entire perimeter of that footing should have vertical rigid insulation.  Horizontal insulation would work on the below grade parts but only to supplement the vertical insulation.  

I just dont see the benefit at all. 

Have you found even one picture or drawing that shows a footing or foundation with horizontal insulation and not vertical?  

I've been building for almost 20 years. I've got a good idea what I'm doing