f7ben ftmfw

f7ben

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I could see putting it vertically on the inside. The outside is getting stone veneer.

I have done both inside and outside.  Either method is better than none.  I do see the advantage to interior installation with your situation.  That veneer would be sticking out a lot with an additional insulation layer.  That also creates challenges with your siding and water running down to a shelf layer.

Inside insulation can also be a little tricky.  It should be protected, so plan a seamless looking inside where the wall meets the foundation.

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I've been building for almost 20 years. I've got a good idea what I'm doing

Do you know the reason why you won't find a single image on the internet that shows horizontal insulation around a footing unless it also has vertical insulation? 

Because they stopped that shit before the internet was invented.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYKNIyVEUdl3UrWCDdxE7

con_slab_fpsf.gif

34a47b5520bed054a3c6bb897437a35d.gif

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, f7ben said:

Started forming this up last night at 5pm. Was way low on grade so had to move over 4 yards of dirt by hand over 50' away. Poured at 9:30am.

20190914_123828.jpg

Dome house?  Don't see those much anymore.  Congrats on the addition!

59 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

frost-protected-shallow-foundation-1200x

This is the new standard.  I had to have this house's slab designed engineered and stamped.  The foam "wings" extend out 48" all the way around the rest is wrapped in 3" of foam all around and 2" underneath.  18x18 footers all tied together with custom rebar bent squares.  It would have been cheaper to poor a fucking basement!  Cocksuckers!  But...I must say, with the infloor heating system, it's so efficient it's laughable.  

26 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I've been building for almost 20 years. I've got a good idea what I'm doing

Plus, you've got a whole lot less of stringent building code up there.  These fuckers are Nazi's down here stiffling and slowing the process in every way they can.  Unreal.

Just now, Zambroski said:

This is the new standard.  I had to have this house's slab designed engineered and stamped.  The foam "wings" extend out 48" all the way around the rest is wrapped in 3" of foam all around and 2" underneath.  18x18 footers all tied together with custom rebar bent squares.  It would have been cheaper to poor a fucking basement!  Cocksuckers!  But...I must say, with the infloor heating system, it's so efficient it's laughable.  

Plus, you've got a whole lot less of stringent building code up there.  These fuckers are Nazi's down here stiffling and slowing the process in every way they can.  Unreal.

I did my slab on grade how you describe above. This foundation is way different.

We've got a new inspector in town here. Ive known her for 20 years. Shes a bit stringent.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Me and the old man just about got block licked. Been fucking raining every fucking day

20190921_144040.jpg

Wow. I haven't seen anyone use blocks around here in 40 years.

Holy shit. The gas meter and the electrical meter are over top of each other.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Wow. I haven't seen anyone use blocks around here in 40 years.

Holy shit. The gas meter and the electrical meter are over top of each other.

Tons of people still use block around here. I wouldnt use them for a basement but for this application its fine 

Edited by f7ben
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, f7ben said:

Tons of people still use block around here. I wouldnt use them for a basement but for this application its fine 

Ya, I get what your doing. The sunroom addition on my parent's house is on a block wall built back in the '70's. My dad didn't get any permits and he was cheap. But he did pour the footing for the wall 3 feet below grade.

You couldn't do what you are doing here these days as your footings would be required to be 4 feet below grade. The shouldered slab others have shown above can't be done either as they are still considered a floating slab. Fine for a stand alone building but footings and frost walls are the only way for an attached addition.

Just now, Blackstar said:

Ya, I get what your doing. The sunroom addition on my parent's house is on a block wall built back in the '70's. My dad didn't get any permits and he was cheap. But he did pour the footing for the wall 3 feet below grade.

You couldn't do what you are doing here these days as your footings would be required to be 4 feet below grade. The shouldered slab others have shown above can't be done either as they are still considered a floating slab. Fine for a stand alone building but footings and frost walls are the only way for an attached addition.

They just made floating slabs legal in MN within the last 10 years. 

My home here is unique. It's a wood basement on no footing at all. It's set in crushed rock and the slab is poured inside. It was well built and nothing moves. I also spray foamed the entire building envelope.

This home makes additions a bit peculiar though. I cant really dig a frost footing without causing erosion of the existing crushed rock footing because that's close to on grade in the back. I'd have to pour a bulkhead and I'd be afraid of having pockets of unsettled dirt under the basement walls etc. 

I ran my plan here by both city inspectors we've had in the last several years and they were good with it.

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

They just made floating slabs legal in MN within the last 10 years. 

My home here is unique. It's a wood basement on no footing at all. It's set in crushed rock and the slab is poured inside. It was well built and nothing moves. I also spray foamed the entire building envelope.

This home makes additions a bit peculiar though. I cant really dig a frost footing without causing erosion of the existing crushed rock footing because that's close to on grade in the back. I'd have to pour a bulkhead and I'd be afraid of having pockets of unsettled dirt under the basement walls etc. 

I ran my plan here by both city inspectors we've had in the last several years and they were good with it.

I see. That's interesting. I can see the challenges.

Sorry, this is a Long story.......

My uncle was a super scavenger, had his own excavating company and often did building demolition work.  Seagram's Distilleries used to be in town here and they had 3 huge storage buildings out of town where they aged the whiskey. He got involved in the demo as the beam and joist work in these buildings was massive and they tried to save as much as they could. They used his excavator to hold and move sections as they were disassembled. The racking through out was built to hold full whiskey barrels. Steel sided and roofed, they saved most of those sheets as well.

The demo company in charge had a deal with my uncle to pay him to work for so many days. They ended up needing him to stay longer but didn't have any money left in the budget so he says "what about if I take some of the beams and steel sheeting?"

Every day he would load his float with what he could carry and take it home. He had the equipment to unload and the room to store it. I would use his shop to work on my old Bronco after work in the winter when his shop was empty. He would come down to the shop at night and pull nails. Fuck me, he had patience. He'd have all these big timber pieces set up on horses and 5 gallon pails to throw the nails in to. He told me stories about how his dad used to save lumber and reuse it all the time. Even take the old nails, straighten them and save them in jars.

So he ends up with piles of this lumber and steel. He had 6x6, 8x8, 2x8, 2x10, 2x6. All true dimensions. He lived on 50 acres. He built a horse stable for his daughter and a storage garage and a sugar shack for boiling sap. I helped with a couple of them. They were simple pole barn construction then he roofed and sided them in steel.

So he decides he needs to down size the living situation. He finds a 2 acre lot for sale and starts thinking maybe he can build a house from all this lumber he still has. He said it was very challenging to get all the approvals. The inspectors are all used to spec lumber and obviously this lumber was of better quality than you can buy but it didn't have a stamp. He sent pieces to a test facility who gave spec info for the inspectors and they agreed to let him use it.

He built the house with a full basement all with a wood foundation. He built it basically like the the pole barn structures. The foundation has 3 feet of crushed gravel around the perimeter, protected with soil cloth and there are drainage pipes and sump pumps to ensure the wood stays dry. Be fore installing the posts, he sent them to a company that pressure treated telephone poles for treatment.

He finished the house and then built a shop, then an addition to that shop all with lumber from that reclaimed lumber. The roofs on both are the steel sheets. He did buy lumber unless he had no choice. Even the roof isn't sheeted. He had enough 2x6's to strap it for the steel.

Pretty amazing what he did.

Unfortunately, he now has dementia. He lost his license last spring. His wife and the family want him in a facility but he refuses to leave. I get it. If I poured that much of myself into a property I'd have a hard time leaving it too. But its only a matter of time. It will be interesting to see what people think of a wood foundation when it hits the market.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I see. That's interesting. I can see the challenges.

Sorry, this is a Long story.......

My uncle was a super scavenger, had his own excavating company and often did building demolition work.  Seagram's Distilleries used to be in town here and they had 3 huge storage buildings out of town where they aged the whiskey. He got involved in the demo as the beam and joist work in these buildings was massive and they tried to save as much as they could. They used his excavator to hold and move sections as they were disassembled. The racking through out was built to hold full whiskey barrels. Steel sided and roofed, they saved most of those sheets as well.

The demo company in charge had a deal with my uncle to pay him to work for so many days. They ended up needing him to stay longer but didn't have any money left in the budget so he says "what about if I take some of the beams and steel sheeting?"

Every day he would load his float with what he could carry and take it home. He had the equipment to unload and the room to store it. I would use his shop to work on my old Bronco after work in the winter when his shop was empty. He would come down to the shop at night and pull nails. Fuck me, he had patience. He'd have all these big timber pieces set up on horses and 5 gallon pails to throw the nails in to. He told me stories about how his dad used to save lumber and reuse it all the time. Even take the old nails, straighten them and save them in jars.

So he ends up with piles of this lumber and steel. He had 6x6, 8x8, 2x8, 2x10, 2x6. All true dimensions. He lived on 50 acres. He built a horse stable for his daughter and a storage garage and a sugar shack for boiling sap. I helped with a couple of them. They were simple pole barn construction then he roofed and sided them in steel.

So he decides he needs to down size the living situation. He finds a 2 acre lot for sale and starts thinking maybe he can build a house from all this lumber he still has. He said it was very challenging to get all the approvals. The inspectors are all used to spec lumber and obviously this lumber was of better quality than you can buy but it didn't have a stamp. He sent pieces to a test facility who gave spec info for the inspectors and they agreed to let him use it.

He built the house with a full basement all with a wood foundation. He built it basically like the the pole barn structures. The foundation has 3 feet of crushed gravel around the perimeter, protected with soil cloth and there are drainage pipes and sump pumps to ensure the wood stays dry. Be fore installing the posts, he sent them to a company that pressure treated telephone poles for treatment.

He finished the house and then built a shop, then an addition to that shop all with lumber from that reclaimed lumber. The roofs on both are the steel sheets. He did buy lumber unless he had no choice. Even the roof isn't sheeted. He had enough 2x6's to strap it for the steel.

Pretty amazing what he did.

Unfortunately, he now has dementia. He lost his license last spring. His wife and the family want him in a facility but he refuses to leave. I get it. If I poured that much of myself into a property I'd have a hard time leaving it too. But its only a matter of time. It will be interesting to see what people think of a wood foundation when it hits the market.

:bc:

5 hours ago, Woodtick said:

A co worker just looked at a house on lake Gogebic that has a wood foundation. 2800 sq ft and a $400 k price tag. Wood foundations are not uncommon in the north woods.

Will the bank give you a mortgage with that setup? My buddy had a tough time buying a place that had an unusual foundation.

3 hours ago, Edmo said:

Will the bank give you a mortgage with that setup? My buddy had a tough time buying a place that had an unusual foundation.

must be typical and customary to the market and usually requires 1-2 comps to have the same type of thing whether that is a wood foundation,  a seasonal property or a dome  or earth house.  

We looked at a house that had a pressure treated foundation. Complete garbage. The walls in the finished basement we visually bowed.  It needed all sorts of other work.  Someone paid $300k for it though. Probably would have needed $100k in work to fix everything.