2020 cat 800 on the dyno at bikeman!!

Rod

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

So plain Jane nikasil? 

Thats what it sounds like.  And if so youshouldn't break it in like shown in this dyno video.  Varying the engine speed by 500 RPM and medium loads?  That's just crazy.  

My guess is we are gonna hear more excuses why this motor doesn't make 165hp.  

• Like 1

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Thats what it sounds like.  And if so youshouldn't break it in like shown in this dyno video.  Varying the engine speed by 500 RPM and medium loads?  That's just crazy.  

My guess is we are gonna hear more excuses why this motor doesn't make 165hp.  

In the end it’s the old adage, there’s no replacement for displacement. No way is cat going to pull the same or more hp with 50cc’s less. Ain’t happening. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

In the end it’s the old adage, there’s no replacement for displacement. No way is cat going to pull the same or more hp with 50cc’s less. Ain’t happening. 

Wow, it is a whole 3 cubic inches, so 1.5 inches more per cylinder. WTF is that tiny amount suppose to add, HP and torque wise ?

1 minute ago, Frostynuts said:

Wow, it is a whole 3 cubic inches, so 1.5 inches more per cylinder. WTF is that tiny amount suppose to add, HP and torque wise ?

With all things being equal.  If an 800cc engine makes 160hp then an 850cc motor should make 169.5.  

10hp is noticable.  

6 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

That’s a meaningful difference in displacement. As for the plasma cylinders, the Chevy Vega motor had plasma lined cylinders. :lol: 

6 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That’s a meaningful difference in displacement. As for the plasma cylinders, the Chevy Vega motor had plasma lined cylinders. :lol: 

Really, I had no idea.  Which engine, the L-11 or the Cosworth?  

The Chevy Vega always performed best with the all aluminum 283ci V8.  My goodness what a cool car.  

The '77 Monza was a cool car.

66467672-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

This is just MHO but Cat usually likes to toot their own horn in advertising so "I would think" if they switched to plasma coated cylinders their advertisements would say something like "new plasma lined cylinders producing a whopping 168hp" or something to that effect. They don't normally keep their advancements a secret.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

He sure is acting strange about the 2020  Cat.  

No kidding...I can't find it but I posted a screenshot I took at HCS where DTR Jim says he took an engine part and it was definitely NOT plasma coated.

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

No kidding...I can't find it but I posted a screenshot I took at HCS where DTR Jim says he took an engine part and it was definitely NOT plasma coated.

Jim never said that you ding dong he said they were plasma coated