Barred owls

Pete

Since I moved into my sanctuary I’ve been hearing this call from SOMETHING in my woods. Well I finally found out what it is. I’ve never heard such a call before. Then this guy ended up landing in a tree right at my deck. I never been so close to a owl. Much bigger than I imagined too 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fppKGJD3Y6c

CF54E74A-EC48-4D61-8385-7EA626D417C0.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That is really cool...Owls are amazing birds. 

They sure are. Don’t get to see them very much. I’ve heard up to 3 calling to each other and couldn’t for the life of me figure our what the hell it was 

• Like 1

I often see some kind of owl sitting way up in the trees behind the house.  I don't know what kind.  Big owls for sure.  I am surprised how much the crows seem to hate the owls.  Those much smaller crows just keep cawing for support and dive bomb the owls.  Sometimes it goes on for hours before the owls leave.

Personally, I'd rather see the owls stay and the the crows leave.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

One time in a tree stand there was a squirrel climbing up under my stand.   Out of the corner of my eye I caught the last second of an owl coming screaming in for it.   Turned off at the last second once it seen me.   Not sure whose heart rate jumped the most, the squirrels, the owl's or mine.  :lol:  

I'm hearing more owls than ever.   Wonder if its not due to the rabbit population being so strong.   They go in 10 year cycles.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

I often see some kind of owl sitting way up in the trees behind the house.  I don't know what kind.  Big owls for sure.  I am surprised how much the crows seem to hate the owls.  Those much smaller crows just keep cawing for support and dive bomb the owls.  Sometimes it goes on for hours before the owls leave.

The smaller birds do that to the red tailed hawks around here. You'll see a hawk flying with 3 smaller birds chasing it and picking at it. Ive seen them knock a hawk to the ground like that. 

We have a bunch of Owls around the house. I was driving out of the neighborhood going down a small hill when a owl flew right over the top of my truck about ten feet off the ground and proceeded to fly about 4 houses down to pounce on a squirrel on someone's lawn. In the time it took me to drive a few hundred feet he had already popped the head off said squirrel. 

3 hours ago, Anler said:

The smaller birds do that to the red tailed hawks around here. You'll see a hawk flying with 3 smaller birds chasing it and picking at it. Ive seen them knock a hawk to the ground like that. 

Are they falcons? Falcons chase of hawks around here.

5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Are they falcons? Falcons chase of hawks around here.

No like sparrows or some shit. Small birds. Whatever they are they attack the hawks all the time.

Through years of protection the hawk population has exploded around here. So much so that the towns issue warnings about leaving small pets outside unattended. 

Just now, Anler said:

No like sparrows or some shit. Small birds. Whatever they are they attack the hawks all the time.

Through years of protection the hawk population has exploded around here. So much so that the towns issue warnings about leaving small pets outside unattended. 

Do they screech like a motherfucker when chasing?

Just now, steve from amherst said:

Do they screech like a motherfucker when chasing?

I dont know I am usually driving in my truck when I see them. Im thinking the hawk comes near a nest and they go straight on the attack. I probably see it once a week on my drive to and from work. 

We’ve played owl calls off YouTube at our cabin and have gotten the owls to come out and respond. :bc: 

58 minutes ago, Anler said:

I dont know I am usually driving in my truck when I see them. Im thinking the hawk comes near a nest and they go straight on the attack. I probably see it once a week on my drive to and from work. 

I’ve seen that before too. Can’t recall what the chasing birds looked like though. :bc: 

10 minutes ago, CheezusXR8 said:

We’ve played owl calls off YouTube at our cabin and have gotten the owls to come out and respond. :bc: 

I’ve seen that before too. Can’t recall what the chasing birds looked like though. :bc: 

Its these little birds and they peck at it from above. They are vicious little fuckers tho, they dont let up on that hawk. 

Up here we have tenacious Red Wing Blackbirds that'll chase crows,ravens and hawks. Little fkrs don't give up till they've got them away from the nests. We have quite a few diff species of owls around our place. We had the wife's cousins visiting when we had the camp and her cousin got up to use the outhouse and a screech (sp) owl let a screech go and she ran back inside. It scared the hell out her lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a sparrow hawk in my camp last fall. I had to chain the dog to a tree. Opened all of the windows and doors,and it still didn’t leave. Ended up using a old smelt net and a towel to catch him. Fuckers are fast on their feet.

76D4CCCC-9247-4237-8263-591F5C7168A5.jpeg

DA92BF5F-6FDC-4009-B144-9E1543B5CA4C.jpeg

667C6F15-BEF5-44C9-AD27-FF622B85D238.jpeg

A0BBEBF8-B16E-4D9D-9C8E-DC33A85B8B0A.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smokin george said:

Up here we have tenacious Red Wing Blackbirds that'll chase crows,ravens and hawks. Little fkrs don't give up till they've got them away from the nests. We have quite a few diff species of owls around our place. We had the wife's cousins visiting when we had the camp and her cousin got up to use the outhouse and a screech (sp) owl let a screech go and she ran back inside. It scared the hell out her lol

yep, see that a lot.

12 hours ago, favoritos said:

Owls kill the crows when they are roosting at night.