*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

I,m helping a friend put a 2002 Arctic Cat ZL600 engine back together. He got it as a basket case, so it has been a challenge.

Does anyone have a diagram of how the APV valves go back together, and maybe a pic of how they look from inside the cylinders ?

It appears the holes in the valves must be facing up, and I can see by the taper of the valves the way they need to be, but I would like to confirm for sure before we put the head back on the cylinders.

22 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

yeah I would put a new rope on before it is to late . I lost my rope at around 1109mi on my M 

pretty regular deal on the procross 

Its not as bad as I thought but still going to replace it. Dont want to be that guy that gets to start his sled with the clutch all weekend.  Knowing my luck it would happen Thursday night unloading in Grand Marais with the high all weekend being 0.

13 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

I,m helping a friend put a 2002 Arctic Cat ZL600 engine back together. He got it as a basket case, so it has been a challenge.

Does anyone have a diagram of how the APV valves go back together, and maybe a pic of how they look from inside the cylinders ?

It appears the holes in the valves must be facing up, and I can see by the taper of the valves the way they need to be, but I would like to confirm for sure before we put the head back on the cylinders.

Here is the master service manual.  It should have a diagram for you in it.  

https://support.countrycat.com/posts/2800383-2002-snow-service-manual

6 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

bud drove up to ND last night got in 98 today  but said it was real hard to see and melting fast 

Screenshot_20191013-142422.jpg

Map shows over a foot around Devil's Lake.  Highs in the 40s there this week, will melt fast.  I'm not ready yet, give me a couple weeks.

Long day today in the shop but made some good progress.

Took the sled down pretty much to the motor and chassis. Rear skid came out. All the shocks removed and boxed up, ready to go to Carver tomorrow.  Checked all the parts in the skid, a few need replacing.  Degreased entire engine bay and skid with simple green and a brush.  Disassembled chain case to clean and inspect, new gasket and oil.  New Cobra cord pull rope went in. That must be made from kevlar or something because it is almost impossible to cut.  New hyfax just because the skid was out and they had 3500 miles on them but still looked ok.  New spark plugs and spare set.

Clutches are off and waiting to be fully disassembled and cleaned.  Exhaust valves need to be cleaned yet.  Should go together quick once I get the shocks back.

Got a list of about a dozen things I need from Country Cat.  All pretty normal wear stuff.

20191013_201558.jpg

20191013_201522.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Long day today in the shop but made some good progress.

Took the sled down pretty much to the motor and chassis. Rear skid came out. All the shocks removed and boxed up, ready to go to Carver tomorrow.  Checked all the parts in the skid, a few need replacing.  Degreased entire engine bay and skid with simple green and a brush.  Disassembled chain case to clean and inspect, new gasket and oil.  New Cobra cord pull rope went in. That must be made from kevlar or something because it is almost impossible to cut.  New hyfax just because the skid was out and they had 3500 miles on them but still looked ok.  New spark plugs and spare set.

Clutches are off and waiting to be fully disassembled and cleaned.  Exhaust valves need to be cleaned yet.  Should go together quick once I get the shocks back.

Got a list of about a dozen things I need from Country Cat.  All pretty normal wear stuff.

20191013_201558.jpg

20191013_201522.jpg

Nice!  I see you’ve opted to relax the limiter straps too!  This is often overlooked.  :lmao:

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Nice!  I see you’ve opted to relax the limiter straps too!  This is often overlooked.  :lmao:

I wasn't sure if they needed to come off or not so I went with the safer route.  They are all the way out so it didn't seem like much preload left on the shock.  

Got things all shined up yesterday, even by your standards.  It was in rough shape but I'll put it back to like new and then beat the hell out of it again this season.

Compression was spot on at 140-145 psi.

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

I wasn't sure if they needed to come off or not so I went with the safer route.  They are all the way out so it didn't seem like much preload left on the shock.  

Got things all shined up yesterday, even by your standards.  It was in rough shape but I'll put it back to like new and then beat the hell out of it again this season.

Compression was spot on at 140-145 psi.

:bc:

When you put the skid back in, it’s a lot easier to raise the back end way up.  Doesn’t need to be anything fancy.  I just use a hook and a come-along.

4CF68E62-D856-4D83-8587-0E434C0D743D.jpeg

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

:bc:

When you put the skid back in, it’s a lot easier to raise the back end way up.  Doesn’t need to be anything fancy.  I just use a hook and a come-along.

4CF68E62-D856-4D83-8587-0E434C0D743D.jpeg

I do the same with mine but I remember a thread on here suggesting to do it with the sled laying on its side. My Vec, imo, is too hard to tip over so I'm not saying it isn't the better way, but I prefer our way to be honest.

HPIM1910 (Large).JPG

Just now, irv said:

I do the same with mine but I remember a thread on here suggesting to do it with the sled laying on its side. My Vec, imo, is too hard to tip over so I'm not saying it isn't the better way, but I prefer our way to be honest.

HPIM1910 (Large).JPG

Yeah, my buddy does the side thing.  He tried to show me how much faster and better it was once....as he wrestled, grunted and smashed his hand.  :lol:

Meh, to each their own.  This isn’t rocket surgery.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

...and I’d sure put those straps back in the stock position.  Did you move them all the way out?

Stock position is all the way out and that's where I left them.  Adjusting the front spring got me to where I needed it.  Gotta keep full travel.  :bc:

I always tip the sled on its side for doing skid work.  Even just adjusting the center shock it is easiest with the sled on its side.  

• Platinum Contributing Member

Got new to me trailer. 2012 mission 12’ clamshell. Living on trail I don’t trailer much but my 16 yr old is tired of the local stuff and wants to venture out a bit further.not my RMK in the pic 

826D94E3-2837-4056-B2F0-6BA5EC27E5D4.jpeg

Edited by Shifty

1 minute ago, Shifty said:

Got new to me trailer. 2012 mission 12’ clamshell. Living on trail I don’t trailer much but my 16 yr old is tired of the local stuff and wants to venture out a bit further.

826D94E3-2837-4056-B2F0-6BA5EC27E5D4.jpeg

Whose flatlander trail burner is that in back? Yummm

6 minutes ago, s pump said:

Whose flatlander trail burner is that in back? Yummm

Not mine!  Trailers previous owner. I’m  a pure pounder of diamonds these days. 

11 minutes ago, s pump said:

Sad

Meh, I spent 9 yrs living and riding in Jackson hole back in the ‘90s. My wife’s family owned togwotee lodge and cowboy village resort. I’ve got enough deep powder mtn riding under my belt. My 95 artic cat 580 EXT powder special was state of  art!!  5 surgeries and two herniated discs later tells me to stick to diamonds ♦️ I’ve always been more of a go fast guy anyways. I do miss the jumps and drops. Which isn’t really a thing back here anyway.  

Edited by Shifty

11 minutes ago, Shifty said:

Meh, I spent 9 yrs living and riding in Jackson hole back in the ‘90s. My wife’s family owned togwotee lodge and cowboy village resort. I’ve got enough deep powder mtn riding under my belt. My 95 artic cat 580 EXT powder special was state of  art!!  5 surgeries and two herniated discs later tells me to stick to diamonds ♦️ I’ve always been more of a go fast guy anyways. I do miss the jumps and drops. Which isn’t really a thing back here anyway.  

You'd be amazed how much more capable the new sleds are. Just boondocking anywhere you please and climbing chutes is worth the effort. Plus, the new long tracks are surprisingly good on the trail at less than ludicrous speed.

Edited by s pump

3 minutes ago, s pump said:

You'd be amazed how much more capable the new sleds are. Just boondocking anywhere you please and climbing chutes is worth the effort. Plus, the new long tracks are surprisingly good on the trail at less than ludicrous speed.

I’m sure. It seems like there is definitely less digging out. The pin it and wiggle technique did not work in ‘97 lol. I remember my last ride out west before moving east. My buddy and I foolishly took the wimmens,and I literally spent most of the day getting the wife unstuck. Conditions were great also. Spring riding. Firm snow. I bet she stuck it 12-13 times.