*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

11 hours ago, irv said:

Get a financial adviser through your bank and learn a thing or 2 before you decide to invest on your own, if that is what you want to do?  

All banks/financial institutions have them. Don't wait any longer. The younger you are the better. Do you have a pension plan through work? If so, that will alleviate some worry but if not, go see one ASAP. 

DO NOT get "financial advice" from your bank.  An independent FA paid by the hour is worth it if you need some professional advice.  

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Bank FAs around here are the fucking worst.  Lets take a 30 year olds life savings and put it into a fixed annuity.  I'd get fired if I tried to pull that shit, and I see it all the time, including yesterday.  There are certain fundamental principles/realities/concepts that are easy to learn and understand.  Young people have life by the balls in this sense because they can ride out multiple economic cycles, enjoy the advantages of dollar cost averaging, etc..

Hey look, we agree on something!

I was just looking at our investment accounts yesterday and it is surprising how much is in there now, especially with the recent run up.  Soon, a decent annual return will be a gain equivalent to the average annual US household income.  I'm 32, my wife is a bit older.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks. :bc: I will give those a look over and see if anything looks familiar. All my money was moved over to this new guy (RRSP's, TFSA's, savings, etc) back in July/Aug just before I retired. I was in to see him just recently as I had to cash out/transfer my shares from the sale of Hydro One and he said my money was doing quite well earning almost 7%. I trust that is decent but like I said earlier, I am no pro when it comes to stuff like this. This July/Aug, once a year is under my belt, we are going to do a review. If he is happy then I'll most likely stick with what he suggests based on my risk assessment. 

It's not for 2019, I did over 22% and currently almost at 6% for 2020.

However I also dropped 4.5% in 2018, but did well in 2017 at 18%.

I would be a real good exercise to see how it would have done in 2018, cause if it went negative, you have real shitty advice, but if it tracked 7% again then that is more of a strategy. :bc:

Also, there is nothing I know of that is more stable that can beat the private REITs over the past 15 years.

Ask the bank dude if he can get this, cause I know he can't get Skyline and its the next best one.  Just don't but the DSC version that locks you up for 5 or 6 years:flush:

https://centurion.ca/investment-solutions/centurion-apartment-reit

Edited by ArcticCrusher

4 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Maybe financial advice should be separate from the snowmobiling thread. Seems kind of like an oxymoron..... Lmao

Here is the financial advice for snowmobiling.

• When you buy a $10k sled, immediately write it off and assume the future value is $0.
  • The off-season is your chance to sneak in aftermarket performance parts without wrecking your riding budget
  • Fancy trucks and trailers don't matter
  • Spending money to go ride in good snow is a better investment than any sled
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's not for 2019, I did over 22% and currently almost at 6% for 2020.

However I also dropped 4.5% in 2018, but did well in 2017 at 18%.

I would be a real good exercise to see how it would have done in 2018, cause if it went negative, you have real shitty advice, but if it tracked 7% again then that is more of a strategy. :bc:

Also, there is nothing I know of that is more stable that can beat the private REITs over the past 15 years.

Ask the bank dude if he can get this, cause I know he can't get Skyline and its the next best one.  Just don't but the DSC version that locks you up for 5 or 6 years:flush:

https://centurion.ca/investment-solutions/centurion-apartment-reit

The day we set everything up we had a lot going on and a lot of info was shared so I am uncertain if he/we looked at previous years? I believe we did, but I don't know 100%?

I believe, but could be wrong, it is in these financial guys best interest to do well, is it not? I mean he knows I can/could move my money anytime and of course the less clients he has, they less money he makes as well. I have zero clue how good he is but he is TD's top guy at this branch who said he works more as an independent than actually working for them, if that makes sense? In order to obtain him, one needs a certain amount of cash to qualify. I like him, trust him, but I know that means shit based on my knowledge and experience. 

11 minutes ago, irv said:

The day we set everything up we had a lot going on and a lot of info was shared so I am uncertain if he/we looked at previous years? I believe we did, but I don't know 100%?

I believe, but could be wrong, it is in these financial guys best interest to do well, is it not? I mean he knows I can/could move my money anytime and of course the less clients he has, they less money he makes as well. I have zero clue how good he is but he is TD's top guy at this branch who said he works more as an independent than actually working for them, if that makes sense? In order to obtain him, one needs a certain amount of cash to qualify. I like him, trust him, but I know that means shit based on my knowledge and experience. 

Sure it is, however most investors have a very low risk tolerance, so the returns tend to be pretty shit, ie much less than 7%.  An adviser would be fired or bitch slapped if they placed your portfolio into all high risk unless that was driven by the client.

They are also paid by commission, they are not independent.

On the second bold, the industry has been moving towards what is known as fee based advice where the trailer fee (if any) is stripped from any investment and then an agreed upon fee is negotiated (yes its is negotiated) for say 0.7 to 1.2% based on total portfolio and many now want you to have at least 250K for those. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tomas. said:

Maybe financial advice should be separate from the snowmobiling thread. Seems kind of like an oxymoron..... Lmao

Work your ass off. Do as much OT as you can during non sledding months. Eat Ramen noodles 6 days a week, hamburger helper and potatoes on the 7th. No booze, no tobacco, no drugs, and sure as hell no women!($20 hookers are fine twice a week) Live in a shit ass apartment, drive very modest vehicle. Put 25% income into retirement, 25% to live, 50% towards winter. Realistically you will have to dip into that 50% once in a while but don't make it a damn habit. 

Sledding season comes, do whatever you want with the $$$. Buy a decent sled, get decent gear. When on rides or trips, eat fucking steak, drink some booze, tobacco is a bad habit so try to avoid, but modest amount of drugs are fine (unless you're hooking up with strippers, then do what ya gotta do), find bar whores/strippers/fucksluts, but make sure your winter budget includes rubbers, and just live the good life. 

Springtime comes, start the whole process over again. This is your recipe for success!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Legend said:

Work your ass off. Do as much OT as you can during non sledding months. Eat Ramen noodles 6 days a week, hamburger helper and potatoes on the 7th. No booze, no tobacco, no drugs, and sure as hell no women!($20 hookers are fine twice a week) Live in a shit ass apartment, drive very modest vehicle. Put 25% income into retirement, 25% to live, 50% towards winter. Realistically you will have to dip into that 50% once in a while but don't make it a damn habit. 

Sledding season comes, do whatever you want with the $$$. Buy a decent sled, get decent gear. When on rides or trips, eat fucking steak, drink some booze, tobacco is a bad habit so try to avoid, but modest amount of drugs are fine (unless you're hooking up with strippers, then do what ya gotta do), find bar whores/strippers/fucksluts, but make sure your winter budget includes rubbers, and just live the good life. 

Springtime comes, start the whole process over again. This is your recipe for success!

words to live by

3 hours ago, Tomas. said:

Yea, make a new thread for this , faggots :finger: :bigfinger:

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

This is all I got right now for sledding.  lol.

493349516_2020-02-2013_12_33.thumb.jpg.fea849afd7b27adbd6584d94987d8256.jpg

What bag is that? 

14 minutes ago, Legend said:

Work your ass off. Do as much OT as you can during non sledding months. Eat Ramen noodles 6 days a week, hamburger helper and potatoes on the 7th. No booze, no tobacco, no drugs, and sure as hell no women!($20 hookers are fine twice a week) Live in a shit ass apartment, drive very modest vehicle. Put 40% income into retirement, 50% to live, 10% towards winter. Realistically you will have to dip into that 50% once in a while but don't make it a damn habit. 

Follow the bold and notice my edits  :bc:

52 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

That would be great for a "back pack" trip. 

exactly.

41 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's the main reason I got it.  The 5l can is also new and is identical to the oil caddy. 

I just saw one of those mounted last week for the first time.  Perfect for a back pack trip, and about time they made a decent size in that style.

49 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

It's the main reason I got it.  The 5l can is also new and is identical to the oil caddy. 

Just fill the gas caddy with oil so you don't get raped at the gas stations. You don't need gas with an etec.