*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I put a rag over the tail pipes thing and the sled died in a couple seconds. The donuts must still be good then.

Just going to keep riding it I think.

Keep looking at Grand Tourings for her but I can't justify the dollars like I could a few years ago. I paid $12000 for that Vector 8 years ago now. $15-16k for a new, more elaborate upgrade sled seems like a deal but the winters have been so shitty and short here for the last 5 years that we aren't riding as much (and when we do we spend more to do the traveling).

Sledding has never been cheap but there has to be some kind of return for your investment no?

Yeah, you are likely good. Likely the newer models had updated to better donuts than previous models? Mine were shot as I couldn't get the sled to stall, and I think I only had 5,000 to 6,000 km's on the sled at the time?

I hear ya about updating. I simply can't justify it for the amount of riding I do. My Vector is around 9,000 kms now as well and it still looks mint and runs great, imo. Of course it is lacking in the suspension and handling dept, but it still beats riding something older and it gets me out occasionally. :bc:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, steve from amherst said:

propane torch , a 2x4 and wood clamps

Ahhh..good idea...it needs a little TLC here and there but nothing major. It's an 11' Triton with all the good stuff on it and It was a good deal. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I have a very simple financial plan. I make money, I spend money. Try to spend less than I make. I have stuff I need and stuff I want. Try to make sure I cover the stuff I need but still buy some things I want.....lol

Currently have reno plans for the house in the works with no budget yet. RSP season is here and I need to put some money away this week.

Nothing is ever put down on paper. The math is all in my head.

I was sledding with a gentleman who is 78 years old last week and I'm only 55 so hopefully I have a couple good years left.

Could get hit by a bus and then none of this matters.

I think we are the same age.  That $$$$ you are putting away each year needs to start producing and take over.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I think we are the same age.  That $$$$ you are putting away each year needs to start producing and take over.

I never said each year. I said this year. I haven't put anything into RSP's in probably 5-6 years.

I decided to pay off my house instead. I did invest in a 10k solar system though.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I never said each year. I said this year. I haven't put anything into RSP's in probably 5-6 years.

I decided to pay off my house instead. I did invest in a 10k solar system though.

Yah I get that.  Paying the house off instead today will likely set you back further today, imagine that.

I invested in skyline clean energy fund last year at about a 10% return.  It's also immune to the public market. 

https://skylinewealth.ca/alternative-investments/skyline-clean-energy-fund/

I should really look into investments and shit but all it does is make me hate life and hate myself for spending money lmao. I don't know how some of you guys do this for a job. Just makes my head spin, especially with all the uncertainty and bullshit that goes with the game.

1 hour ago, Tomas. said:

I should really look into investments and shit but all it does is make me hate life and hate myself for spending money lmao. I don't know how some of you guys do this for a job. Just makes my head spin, especially with all the uncertainty and bullshit that goes with the game.

Get a financial adviser through your bank and learn a thing or 2 before you decide to invest on your own, if that is what you want to do?  

All banks/financial institutions have them. Don't wait any longer. The younger you are the better. Do you have a pension plan through work? If so, that will alleviate some worry but if not, go see one ASAP. 

Holyshit, after checking several weather sites.. better get out and get your miles in..  gonna be nasty unfriendly jet stream pattern around this Sunday. not just NH / Maine but for midwest states as well.  Man, a late start and it looks like early spring ?  hope I am wrong :dunno:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

Holyshit, after checking several weather sites.. better get out and get your miles in..  gonna be nasty unfriendly jet stream pattern around this Sunday. not just NH / Maine but for midwest states as well.  Man, a late start and it looks like early spring ?  hope I am wrong :dunno:

Same here for Ontario. Keeps getting warmer every time I look. +4C (about 40F) for Saturday, +7C (about 46F) for Sunday around here. Muskoka's will take a big hit. Everything south of there will be garbage.

Heading out for a local ride in the morning. Likely our last around here. Maybe one ride up north yet, but probably not.

30 minutes ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

Our's is the same. Plus temps starting Tomorrow/Friday and +5 and nothing but sun on Sunday. Imo, this is the beginning of the end. We might get another cold snap and more snow but it will be short lived I think?

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yah I get that.  Paying the house off instead today will likely set you back further today, imagine that.

I invested in skyline clean energy fund last year at about a 10% return.  It's also immune to the public market. 

https://skylinewealth.ca/alternative-investments/skyline-clean-energy-fund/

Ya, I think you told me that a while ago but with shitty performing RSP's and looking at not paying my house off until I was 60 just didn't sit well so I paid off the mortgage. I owe nobody anything and my company is debt free. No car loans, no credit cards, etc.

9 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Same here for Ontario. Keeps getting warmer every time I look. +4C (about 40F) for Saturday, +7C (about 46F) for Sunday around here. Muskoka's will take a big hit. Everything south of there will be garbage.

Heading out for a local ride in the morning. Likely our last around here. Maybe one ride up north yet, but probably not.

Long range for up north isn't too bad.  

image.thumb.png.d4e54574265b73fdac29a5910965f31d.png

9 hours ago, irv said:

Get a financial adviser through your bank and learn a thing or 2 before you decide to invest on your own, if that is what you want to do?  

All banks/financial institutions have them. Don't wait any longer. The younger you are the better. Do you have a pension plan through work? If so, that will alleviate some worry but if not, go see one ASAP. 

Bank FAs around here are the fucking worst.  Lets take a 30 year olds life savings and put it into a fixed annuity.  I'd get fired if I tried to pull that shit, and I see it all the time, including yesterday.  There are certain fundamental principles/realities/concepts that are easy to learn and understand.  Young people have life by the balls in this sense because they can ride out multiple economic cycles, enjoy the advantages of dollar cost averaging, etc..

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Ya, I think you told me that a while ago but with shitty performing RSP's and looking at not paying my house off until I was 60 just didn't sit well so I paid off the mortgage. I owe nobody anything and my company is debt free. No car loans, no credit cards, etc.

Yah they are great, most of my non registered funds are loaded up across a few of their REITs.

Come next year I will have close to 7 figures with them and thats also when I plan to build my cottage that will cost about the same.  So I can cash that all out and build with no debt

OR I can leave it in place and say take out 10% or 100K each year and let the funds replenish that.  I can then take a mortgage (1 Mil) out of my principle home which is also debt free and use that to build.

The mortgage P&I is about 50K/yr at current rates so the REIT will more than cover it after taxes and have enough left over for a new sled each year.

10 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Bank FAs around here are the fucking worst.  Lets take a 30 year olds life savings and put it into a fixed annuity.  I'd get fired if I tried to pull that shit, and I see it all the time, including yesterday.  There are certain fundamental principles/realities/concepts that are easy to learn and understand.  Young people have life by the balls in this sense because they can ride out multiple economic cycles, enjoy the advantages of dollar cost averaging, etc..

They suck here as well.

1 hour ago, smokin george said:

The weather sure is up and down and we might get another couple of weeks out of it around here. I think we"ll go for a ride today before the warriors get up here

This winter has been shit compared to what they were predicting in the fall.  No surprise :flush:

53 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

It sounded like Tomas has zero knowledge/experience with anything financial so my suggestion was to just get him started/familiar with things then take it from there. I was in the same place once but I am still no pro myself when it comes to this as all my money, outside of my pension, is also with my banks financial guy who looks after things for me.   

I definitely have zero knowledge or experience other than try not to spend more than you have lmao. I have an RRSP through work that they kind of tricked me into but at least they match up to a certain amount so it isn't the worst thing in the world. But I definitely won't be staying at my current place of employment unless somethings drastically change.

31 minutes ago, irv said:

It sounded like Tomas has zero knowledge/experience with anything financial so my suggestion was to just get him started/familiar with things then take it from there. I was in the same place once but I am still no pro myself when it comes to this as all my money, outside of my pension, is also with my banks financial guy who looks after things for me.   

Irv a good part of that work is already done for you.

Every year companies like Fundata publish A+ awards for the best performing fund/etfs for most sectors.  You'll see that every year, the banks have a pretty dismal showing considering the number of investments they have.  These are the top performers according to Fundata and a good starting point is to look at who the winners are year over year.

Lipper is another good resource as is Morningstar.

You should browse through and see just how many of these funds you are holding.

http://www.fundgradeawards.com/2019/FundGrade-Awards-2019.aspx 

https://lipperfundawards.com/Awards/Canada

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Irv a good part of that work is already done for you.

Every year companies like Fundata publish A+ awards for the best performing fund/etfs for most sectors.  You'll see that every year, the banks have a pretty dismal showing considering the number of investments they have.  These are the top performers according to Fundata and a good starting point is to look at who the winners are year over year.

Lipper is another good resource as is Morningstar.

You should browse through and see just how many of these funds you are holding.

http://www.fundgradeawards.com/2019/FundGrade-Awards-2019.aspx 

https://lipperfundawards.com/Awards/Canada

Thanks. :bc: I will give those a look over and see if anything looks familiar. All my money was moved over to this new guy (RRSP's, TFSA's, savings, etc) back in July/Aug just before I retired. I was in to see him just recently as I had to cash out/transfer my shares from the sale of Hydro One and he said my money was doing quite well earning almost 7%. I trust that is decent but like I said earlier, I am no pro when it comes to stuff like this. This July/Aug, once a year is under my belt, we are going to do a review. If he is happy then I'll most likely stick with what he suggests based on my risk assessment.