*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

2 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Just now on cooks bay.  

C8687710-9758-45DB-8CA4-12DA634B5FB4.jpeg

Where about's on Cooks bay? Thinking it might be where the Holland river comes out at the South end of the bay.....

Planning to take the kids for a little toot tomorrow around Simcoe.

52 minutes ago, Stoney said:

That is a nice picture.....but sure ain't looking like a mid Feb picture looking the snow.....

Snow slides off the roof and the guy doing my driving is good at cleaning up. Still about 2 1/2 feet not like last year that's for sure. 

17 hours ago, Stoney said:

Where about's on Cooks bay? Thinking it might be where the Holland river comes out at the South end of the bay.....

Planning to take the kids for a little toot tomorrow around Simcoe.

Roches.  Watch out for pressure cracks as well. 👍

5 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Roches.  Watch out for pressure cracks as well. 👍

Found the cracks...seemed to be the usually spots.

I think I found the one in the picture....west side not as bad though.

Simcoe was busy, nice to see all the people, kids, etc..enjoying the beauty day. 

Gotta love it when your 7 year old say daddy go faster and my son finally seems to be able to stay awake and now likes to go faster.

Looking forward to heading to QC in less than a week for a week, staying at La Rabaska the whole week, never stayed in one place before, always saddle bagged, should be interesting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

Found the cracks...seemed to be the usually spots.

I think I found the one in the picture....west side not as bad though.

Simcoe was busy, nice to see all the people, kids, etc..enjoying the beauty day. 

Gotta love it when your 7 year old say daddy go faster and my son finally seems to be able to stay awake and now likes to go faster.

Looking forward to heading to QC in less than a week for a week, staying at La Rabaska the whole week, never stayed in one place before, always saddle bagged, should be interesting. 

I've never saddle bagged but I'm guessing I'd prefer to stay in one place then do just different day rides/loops like I did in North Bay a few years ago? 

Enjoy! :bc:

9 hours ago, irv said:

I've never saddle bagged but I'm guessing I'd prefer to stay in one place then do just different day rides/loops like I did in North Bay a few years ago? 

I'm kind of looking forward to having the same base for the week...I think it'll just depend if we run out of new places to ride or if the same scenery gets boring, but I don't think it will.

10 hours ago, irv said:

saddlebagging is IMO the best way to ride.  new places every day to see.  My best trip was with my son where the only trails we crossed over again were into and out of gas stops.  Jackman ME to RDL QC to Ft Kent ME to Millinocket and back to Jackman.  900+- miles with maybe 5 being duplicates. 

58 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I'm kind of looking forward to having the same base for the week...I think it'll just depend if we run out of new places to ride or if the same scenery gets boring, but I don't think it will.

40 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

saddlebagging is IMO the best way to ride.  new places every day to see.  My best trip was with my son where the only trails we crossed over again were into and out of gas stops.  Jackman ME to RDL QC to Ft Kent ME to Millinocket and back to Jackman.  900+- miles with maybe 5 being duplicates. 

When we were in North Bay, our Trail boss (friend) had different loops planned out everyday. Mind you we were only there for 3 days but not once did we see the same trails, other than going and coming, when we rode.

I liked going back to the motel and having a clean room, and everything basically right where we left it. No packing/unpacking everyday plus entertainment, restaurants, etc, were all within easy reach. Like I stated, I have never done a saddle bag so I am not knocking it one bit, but I just can't help to think I'd prefer to have a one place destiny/home base everyday.:dunno:

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

I guess getting lost didn't happen....i know on past trips that was one issue causing to back track on the same trails once, twice, etc.... :lol:

24 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I guess getting lost didn't happen....i know on past trips that was one issue causing to back track on the same trails once, twice, etc.... :lol:

I had a rough idea where we wanted to go after day 1 so just strung it together.  no rooms booked just a rough plan because i hadn't taken him riding since his acl surgeries so wanted to have options.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 2/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, irv said:

Sounds like quite the ride with some interesting incidents. Glad to see you got out, however, and put some decent miles on. :bc:

To test the donuts, cover the rear exhaust ports with think gloves or rags (hot, obviously) and see if the sled stumbles or stalls. If it doesn't after a period of time, there is a very good probability the donuts are shot.

I did mine a few years and it's not the easiest of jobs but I got it done. Tons of info/vids/pics at TY that help immensely. I got my copper ones off a CDN guy called Crewchief but it doesn't sound like he is around anymore?

I put a rag over the tail pipes thing and the sled died in a couple seconds. The donuts must still be good then.

Just going to keep riding it I think.

Keep looking at Grand Tourings for her but I can't justify the dollars like I could a few years ago. I paid $12000 for that Vector 8 years ago now. $15-16k for a new, more elaborate upgrade sled seems like a deal but the winters have been so shitty and short here for the last 5 years that we aren't riding as much (and when we do we spend more to do the traveling).

Sledding has never been cheap but there has to be some kind of return for your investment no?

14 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I put a rag over the tail pipes thing and the sled died in a couple seconds. The donuts must still be good then.

Keep looking at Grand Tourings for her but I can't justify the dollars like I could a few years ago. I paid $12000 for that Vector 8 years ago now. $15-16k for a new, more elaborate upgrade sled seems like a deal but the winters have been so shitty and short here for the last 5 years that we aren't riding as much (and when we do we spend more to do the traveling).

Sledding has never been cheap but there has to be some kind of return for your investment no?

I was lucky to get what I got for the old sleds and only put $2800 diff on the new 2-up. I couldn't justify almost another $16K or more diff for two new sleds 

11 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I was lucky to get what I got for the old sleds and only put $2800 diff on the new 2-up. I couldn't justify almost another $16K or more diff for two new sleds 

Like you pairing down from 2 sleds to 1, I could sell Di's Vector and my back up sled and replace with one sled. I should be able to get about $11-12000 from the pair. But that would be best to sell them next fall. Doo dealer might give me a decent trade in for the MXZ too.

That's why I keep looking at the Turbo cause I think it would be a good backup/friend sled. Really could get away with a 900 Ace for that matter then I wouldn't have to come out of pocket for much

I also don't want to get to the point where I need to buy 2 sleds at the same time. My Cat is now at 4000 kms, her Vector is over 9000 kms. My Cat I plan to keep for another couple of years.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I look at it this way, as long as I am not going negative with any purchase, then I am good to go for it.  By negative I mean falling behind my target goals and having poor cash flow.

Also, there is a time limit on how long we can still do this sport.

28 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I look at it this way, as long as I am not going negative with any purchase, then I am good to go for it.  By negative I mean falling behind my target goals and having poor cash flow.

Also, there is a time limit on how long we can still do this sport.

I have a very simple financial plan. I make money, I spend money. Try to spend less than I make. I have stuff I need and stuff I want. Try to make sure I cover the stuff I need but still buy some things I want.....lol

Currently have reno plans for the house in the works with no budget yet. RSP season is here and I need to put some money away this week.

Nothing is ever put down on paper. The math is all in my head.

I was sledding with a gentleman who is 78 years old last week and I'm only 55 so hopefully I have a couple good years left.

Could get hit by a bus and then none of this matters.