*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

Well I put the rear suspension back in the cf6 tonight. What an absolute pile of shit that job is to do. I don't know what cat was thinking or I was doing wrong but fuck me was that rear shock hard to install. Took everything I had to put it in while trying to manage the torsion springs. Then to install the torsion springs in to the slides..... Almost had an insurance claim lol.

Then putting the skid into the chassis was another prick of a job. Now I was was out in the snow doing it so it was less than ideal conditions but still. Those rear bolts were horrible to line up. I may have flattened some threads but they tightened up and that is all that matters lmao.

Going for a test ride after dinner.

14 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Well I put the rear suspension back in the cf6 tonight. What an absolute pile of shit that job is to do. I don't know what cat was thinking or I was doing wrong but fuck me was that rear shock hard to install. Took everything I had to put it in while trying to manage the torsion springs. Then to install the torsion springs in to the slides..... Almost had an insurance claim lol.

Then putting the skid into the chassis was another prick of a job. Now I was was out in the snow doing it so it was less than ideal conditions but still. Those rear bolts were horrible to line up. I may have flattened some threads but they tightened up and that is all that matters lmao.

Going for a test ride after dinner.

They make a tool for those springs, but yeah I’ve done it many times by hand. 

38 minutes ago, Edmo said:

They make a tool for those springs, but yeah I’ve done it many times by hand. 

So it wasn't just me then. That is good lol.

Well the shock rebuild and revalve was the ticket. It soaks up the bumps now. It runs good. Almost makes me want to dump my sled for one like ssfb's. Almost....

There has to be a bunch of suspension geometry off on my IQ for it to ride as terrible as it does. I just wish I understood suspension set up. This cf6 would absolutely destroy my SB D7. On trail, on the lake, doesn't matter.

Easiest way to get rear shocks back into the rear skid, and to get the skid back into the chassis is with the torsion springs unsprung.  Slide it into the  front bolt hole locations first then the rear. Once in, then re attach the torsion springs to the rails.   At least that's the easiest way to do them on a SkiDoo. That's how I've always done them :dunno:

2 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Easiest way to get rear shocks back into the rear skid, and to get the skid back into the chassis is with the torsion springs unsprung.  Slide it into the  front bolt hole locations first then the rear. Once in, then re attach the torsion springs to the rails.   At least that's the easiest way to do them on a SkiDoo. That's how I've always done them :dunno:

Arctic Cat thought it was a great idea to be different and made that method impossible lol.

Edited by Tomas.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 2/12/2020 at 7:56 PM, irv said:

How much further was Auld Reekie? 1 pm is shutting it down pretty early for sure but isn't the guy your riding with an older gent? Maybe that was enough of a day for him? 

Speaking of starting. My starter relay has shit the bed. I went out for a ride today but didn't shut the sled off once due to me getting the dreaded click, click from the starter relay. Hoping to purchase the newer updated red one tomorrow. Have you ever did Di's relay? 

Auld Reekie is about 85 kms from Tree Bear Camp. And that was in the direction of the truck so it would have drastically shortened our day today and I would drive home. I should have pushed a bit harder because today kinda sucked. We woke up to -29 C temps. At breakfast he tells the server we are headed to New Liskeard and driving home. (So now that we have the longer ride he likes my idea of driving home). We were on the trail by 830am. I'm thinking we have a ways to go but its ok. We can still be at the truck by 1pm give or take. 5 minutes from Tree Bears, I'm sitting at a road crossing waiting. waiting, waiting. Fuck. I ride back and here is his sled, skis and track in the air, off the side of the trail. He's has a rope out and he's trying to pull it back over.

I start laughing. WTH old man? He says shut up and help. So we get it righted and I pull him back on to the trail. He says "Fuck me, now I need to shit. " I said "You shit your pants when it rolled over didn't ya?". Nope, just need to shit is all. Let's ride back to Tree Bear.

So now its 915 and we hit the trail again. At 11am we get to Auld Reekie. They don't open until 1130 so we ride across the lake to Gowganda Lake Camp for fuel for me and he says he needs a coffee. I realize he's getting cold so we sit and warm up for a while. 2 hours later we stop again.

We made it to the truck for 345. Went for lunch at Gillie's in New Liskeard and then I drove the 7 hours home. Just got home myse;f half an hour ago.

It was a good run. The cold was bothering him today and the tighter trails from Shining Tree to Elk Lake was harder for him to ride fast, lots of twist and turn bush trail.

No, I've never replaced the relays in Di's Vector. Someone asked if I've done the donuts yet the other day and that's a no too. Couple things I should look into.

• Like 1

For those who have been to Three Bear Camp, the new structure is nothing like the old. Made from 4 sea cans and a truss roof. It serves the purpose.

D123FBE9-D487-47C0-A661-FDD2E042AA54.jpeg

8F50F626-B052-481B-8659-40E58F60F556.jpeg

EF45FF22-9FF0-4518-A66D-FD63D7CAE1D9.jpeg

EDC0C8C5-45F5-4B7A-B3B4-F17BD0BC3EA7.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tomas. said:

Arctic Cat thought it was a great idea to be different and made that method impossible lol.

It's the exact same on a cat. Unsprung springs and bolt it into the tunnel. Take a pry bar and set the springs on the blocks. Easy and I've done it hundreds of times on my own and from the time I was 15-16. Done several trailside or in hotel parking lots. :lol:

48 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

nice trails

Trails were great and we had them mostly to our selves.  During our ride yesterday we saw 2 sleds around 930am and 5 more around 1230.

Nice to get out there during the week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reevester said:

It's the exact same on a cat. Unsprung springs and bolt it into the tunnel. Take a pry bar and set the springs on the blocks. Easy and I've done it hundreds of times on my own and from the time I was 15-16. Done several trailside or in hotel parking lots. :lol:

They have the stupid blocks that the sider fits into, not on.

But upon more rational thinking, that may work with unbolting the slide blocks. But for some reason I wasn't seeing it yesterday. It is highly possible I was doing it wrong lol.

hqdefault.jpg

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Trails were great and we had them mostly to our selves.  During our ride yesterday we saw 2 sleds around 930am and 5 more around 1230.

Nice to get out there during the week.

It's nice to see your getting out and having fun! When we went to Gowganda from Sudbury we didn't see a single sled lol. It was -42 - 45 when we left and buddies wife had made roast beef sammies for everybody. When we stopped for a break she got the sammies out they were frozen solid. I put mine in my fleece pouch and when we got to Auld Reekie it was still frozen lol. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

It's nice to see your getting out and having fun! When we went to Gowganda from Sudbury we didn't see a single sled lol. It was -42 - 45 when we left and buddies wife had made roast beef sammies for everybody. When we stopped for a break she got the sammies out they were frozen solid. I put mine in my fleece pouch and when we got to Auld Reekie it was still frozen lol. 

In 3 days I put on more miles than a have in the last 2 seasons combined.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

In 3 days I put on more miles than a have in the last 2 seasons combined.

I'm definately gonna have more miles on this year than last year. If my buddies wife wasn't out of commission ( health problems) we would've been out alot more. The trails are good this year up here and nice to do a run up to Wilberforce or Dwight.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

They have the stupid blocks that the sider fits into, not on.

But upon more rational thinking, that may work with unbolting the slide blocks. But for some reason I wasn't seeing it yesterday. It is highly possible I was doing it wrong lol.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm assuming you mean torsion spring when you slider. 

That's how I do them on my Doo's.  If you try and leave tension on the springs, it's pretty much impossible to do by yourself.  Unbolt the blocks from the rail and take the tension off the torsion spring and it's a piece of cake :bc:

25 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I'm assuming you mean torsion spring when you slider. 

That's how I do them on my Doo's.  If you try and leave tension on the springs, it's pretty much impossible to do by yourself.  Unbolt the blocks from the rail and take the tension off the torsion spring and it's a piece of cake :bc:

Yes I ment torsion spring lol. My Polaris' have a slide block that you can snap the torsion spring onto. The Arctic Cat like in the picture has a block that the spring goes into. But clearly I wasn't firing on all cylinders last night lol.

And it was an absolute bitch of a job to do by myself lmao.

Edited by Tomas.

4 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Yes I ment torsion spring lol. My Polaris' have a slide block that you can snap the torsion spring onto. The Arctic Cat like in the picture has a block that the spring goes into. But clearly I wasn't firing on all cylinders last night lol.

And it was an absolute bitch of a job to do by myself lmao.

Doo's are just like the Cat's. 

57604.thumb.jpeg.264a994890c79912554abf786517c7a2.jpeg

Unbolt them from the rails and it's an easy job :bc:

or just crank them down with an old ratchet strap and install.  I say old because the first time you do it your more likely going to have to cut the strap till you learn where you can put it and not get it caught.  I put mine in and out lying on it's side with a 4x4 under the back of the tunnel to get it pretty flat.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

or just crank them down with an old ratchet strap and install.  I say old because the first time you do it your more likely going to have to cut the strap till you learn where you can put it and not get it caught.  I put mine in and out lying on it's side with a 4x4 under the back of the tunnel to get it pretty flat.  

Yup.  I thumb release/pull type strap works well.  NOT a crank type.

Ratchet strap.jpg

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Auld Reekie is about 85 kms from Tree Bear Camp. And that was in the direction of the truck so it would have drastically shortened our day today and I would drive home. I should have pushed a bit harder because today kinda sucked. We woke up to -29 C temps. At breakfast he tells the server we are headed to New Liskeard and driving home. (So now that we have the longer ride he likes my idea of driving home). We were on the trail by 830am. I'm thinking we have a ways to go but its ok. We can still be at the truck by 1pm give or take. 5 minutes from Tree Bears, I'm sitting at a road crossing waiting. waiting, waiting. Fuck. I ride back and here is his sled, skis and track in the air, off the side of the trail. He's has a rope out and he's trying to pull it back over.

I start laughing. WTH old man? He says shut up and help. So we get it righted and I pull him back on to the trail. He says "Fuck me, now I need to shit. " I said "You shit your pants when it rolled over didn't ya?". Nope, just need to shit is all. Let's ride back to Tree Bear.

So now its 915 and we hit the trail again. At 11am we get to Auld Reekie. They don't open until 1130 so we ride across the lake to Gowganda Lake Camp for fuel for me and he says he needs a coffee. I realize he's getting cold so we sit and warm up for a while. 2 hours later we stop again.

We made it to the truck for 345. Went for lunch at Gillie's in New Liskeard and then I drove the 7 hours home. Just got home myse;f half an hour ago.

It was a good run. The cold was bothering him today and the tighter trails from Shining Tree to Elk Lake was harder for him to ride fast, lots of twist and turn bush trail.

No, I've never replaced the relays in Di's Vector. Someone asked if I've done the donuts yet the other day and that's a no too. Couple things I should look into.

Sounds like quite the ride with some interesting incidents. Glad to see you got out, however, and put some decent miles on. :bc:

To test the donuts, cover the rear exhaust ports with think gloves or rags (hot, obviously) and see if the sled stumbles or stalls. If it doesn't after a period of time, there is a very good probability the donuts are shot.

I did mine a few years and it's not the easiest of jobs but I got it done. Tons of info/vids/pics at TY that help immensely. I got my copper ones off a CDN guy called Crewchief but it doesn't sound like he is around anymore?

IMG_0525 (Large).JPG

IMG_0517 (Large).JPG

IMG_0526 (Large).JPG

• Like 1