Airstream trailers.

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Just got a quote on a new 22 ft w/o solar. $43,000. There’s quite a bit more storage than that. I looked at one last week and I was pretty blown away by all the space. Found a used 22ft here in Wisconsin for $30k. Within 30 miles. It’s a 2013. Heading up to look at it tomorrow. 

Outdoor storage?  Like a place for lawn chairs, BBQ, charcoal, table, generator, gas can, tools, leveling pads, etc.  Like all the stuff you would normally use on the outside of the RV.  

19 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Outdoor storage?  Like a place for lawn chairs, BBQ, charcoal, table, generator, gas can, tools, leveling pads, etc.  Like all the stuff you would normally use on the outside of the RV.  

There’s adequate storage for my needs. I’ve be doing some investigating of rv’s in general. The bottom is literally falling out of the market. The trend began late last year and has picked up steam. The local airstream dealer has 7 22ft Bambi’s sitting on the lot and they’re eager to deal. I also swung by another dealer that handles a variety of brands. Both new and used units are busting at the seams with huge discounts. Also several articles on the internet about this. Seems to be a combination of factors contributing. Market saturation, climbing materials cost from tariffs, and people getting out due to outrageous site fees and over crowding. I’m going to sit back and watch how this plays out. See how the discounts pile up leading into late fall and winter. Could be some amazing deals right around the corner. 

Edited by spin_dry

25 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

There’s adequate storage for my needs. I’ve be doing some investigating of rv’s in general. The bottom is literally falling out of the market. The trend began late last year and has picked up steam. The local airstream dealer has 7 22ft Bambi’s sitting on the lot and they’re eager to deal. I also swung by another dealer that handles a variety of brands. Both new and used units are busting at the seams with huge discounts. Also several articles on the internet about this. Seems to be a combination of factors contributing. Market saturation, climbing materials cost from tariffs, and people getting out due to outrageous site fees and over crowding. I’m going to sit back and watch how this plays out. See how the discounts pile up leading into late fall and winter. Could be some amazing deals right around the corner. 

Trailers in general are hard to justify. We have one because its easy for weekend trips. But its a far more expensive way to travel than vrbo or air bnb.  Our typical weekend trip takes $70.00 extra gas and takes longer. Add the hassle of winterizing and repairing things plus depreciation and the only advantage is the places you get to camp.   

If you are going to camp in walmart parking lots I'd say fuck it, take a sports car and stay in decent hotels, it won't cost more and the drive is more fun.

36 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

This is absolutely true. All of it. The bottom is rotting out like a camper with a leaking roof. I wouldnt want to be an rv dealer or mfg right now. 

You can buy a brand new cookie cutter 25 ft. or so with a slide or 2 for under 25g's. Airstream is "nice" but not worth the extra coin if you're thinking 5 yr ownership window. I'm not really talking to Spinner because I really don't give a fuck what HE buys, just putting it out there for normal people.

3 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Trailers in general are hard to justify. We have one because its easy for weekend trips. But its a far more expensive way to travel than vrbo or air bnb.  Our typical weekend trip takes $70.00 extra gas and takes longer. Add the hassle of winterizing and repairing things plus depreciation and the only advantage is the places you get to camp.   

If you are going to camp in walmart parking lots I'd say fuck it, take a sports car and stay in decent hotels, it won't cost more and the drive is more fun.

Another absolute fact. There is no more expensive or challenging way to see the country than in an rv. Especially if you dont own the rig outright already. 

The only advantages an RV has over a car and motels/vrbo is you dont live out of a suite case for months at a time. And its much more social in RV parks and campgrounds. 

A car and motel/vrbo is a much cheaper option. 

2 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

You can buy a brand new cookie cutter 25 ft. or so with a slide or 2 for under 25g's. Airstream is "nice" but not worth the extra coin if you're thinking 5 yr ownership window. I'm not really talking to Spinner because I really don't give a fuck what HE buys, just putting it out there for normal people.

Absolutely. There is no way to get less bang for your buck than an Airstream. 

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Absolutely. There is no way to get less bang for your buck than an Airstream. 

True, who in their right mind would spend over 40-50g's on a 22 ft basically no frills rv?  Fucking retarded. Posers wanted.

7 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Shove an airstream up yer ass, Jesse 

30 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Another absolute fact. There is no more expensive or challenging way to see the country than in an rv. Especially if you dont own the rig outright already. 

The only advantages an RV has over a car and motels/vrbo is you dont live out of a suite case for months at a time. And its much more social in RV parks and campgrounds. 

A car and motel/vrbo is a much cheaper option. 

Exactly. Once you've set them up the way you like them, they are convenient. If you spent time perfecting vacation packing it may be as convenient too,

But its funny how companies spend years perfecting the design of these things and the first thing you do when you buy them is go online and read about all the fixes and upgrades people did to theirs.  Some people like to tinker and the mods are just stupid  but some fixes are so obvious the manufacturer should have figured it out second year,  

Maybe airstreams are different and that makes them worth the extra cash.  

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

Nothing says a great vacation like waiting in line at an RV dump smelling shit waiting on the shit drain station to open up.....

Just do like cousin Eddie. 

Edited by spin_dry

3 hours ago, J. Jackson said:

:lmao: AFJclownshow is not normal in any fucking way 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

You keep screaming recession on the horizon. Wait till then. Anything luxury or at least not nessecity will drop like a rock during a correction.

48 minutes ago, frenchy said:

Lol that people would literally pay more than twice what one of those is actually worth simply for the status. 

Complete status symbol for sure.  I've stayed the night in over 50 different RV parks across the US, from Maine to California, DC to Seattle in the last 3 years.  There are very few Airstream campers in those campgrounds.  I've boondocked all over the southwest in a dozen different places and there are almost zero Airstreams out boondocking.  The main reason is they are just so small and the storage space is hugely limited compared to a conventional camper with multiple slides that cost less than half as much.  Airstream owners are a cultish clan.  They plan big rallies and have fun no doubt.  They are no different than any other niche group.  They are proud of their equipment and like to show it off to like minded people.  

Besides storage the other big drawback to an Airstream is the fragile exterior skin, especially the roof.  The aluminum is super thin and dents very easily.  A hail storm can destroy an Airstream very quickly.  Rocks kicked up from the tires on the tow vehicle will dent and damage them.  Wind blowing a camp chair or table into them will damage the skin.  Getting on the roof to repair an AC unit takes special equipment and tools.  

12 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Nothing screams LOOK AT ME more than a G Wagon pulling an Airstream.  

63c3fb9a5693781f70ccc4399dc0eda8.jpg

A Touareg pulling an Airstream is close but doesn't quite have the douche factor of the G Wagon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=194714&d=137

Oh God, don't let Woofie see this!! He'll be like the commercials for erectile dysfunction:

" If you have an erection that lasts for more than four hours, seek medical help " !!!

15 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Nothing screams LOOK AT ME more than a G Wagon pulling an Airstream.  

63c3fb9a5693781f70ccc4399dc0eda8.jpg

A Touareg pulling an Airstream is close but doesn't quite have the douche factor of the G Wagon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=194714&d=137

That’s some good looking machinery right there. 

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My bud found a 2014 Touareg TDI on the auction list. 65,000 miles and clean with full maint record. $11k. Nice silver to match any aluminum accessories. 

Sort of like this except older.

2018-Volkswagen-Atlas-towing.jpg

This would be a little cooler.....

ejjs53tqzf1z.jpg

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My bud found a 2014 Touareg TDI on the auction list. 65,000 miles and clean with full maint record. $11k. Nice silver to match any aluminum accessories. 

Seems kinda crazy that a German engineered car with an MSRP approaching $50k would only be worth $11k after just 5 years.  I don't think Chevys even depreciate that fast.  

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Seems kinda crazy that a German engineered car with an MSRP approaching $50k would only be worth $11k after just 5 years.  I don't think Chevys even depreciate that fast.  

Auction price. TDI’s caught up in the emission scandal took it up the ass.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Momorider said:

:lmao: AFJclownshow is not normal in any fucking way 

You have zero right to say that about anybody you shit eating creep. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1