Airstream trailers.

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Here is another brand new 22' Winnebago.  $22k.  Murphy bed is kinda cool.  Decent sized TV.  Sort of like an actual living room with the Murphy bed up.  

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2019-Winnebago-Industries-Towables-Micro-Minnie-2108DS-5008614962

I like that Murphy bed idea.  Makes good sense.

1 hour ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

personally, I am partial to 5th wheel trailers.  either Montana or grand designs for the win but its probably too "big" for you. :bc: 

Yeah, I could see you in one of those. 

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Market seems kinda soft right now. I’m finding the “19 going for $58k retail. Pricing with discounts about 49k. 7-8 year old units are $40k. 

Thats what I said.  :lol:  :bc:  they are cool rigs though for sure

Just a heads up.  Thor now builds Airstream.  Thor is notorious for building absolute junk.  The tales of thor junk are all over the RV forums and have been for over a decade.  

The good news is that the Airstream has been able to buck the trend of complete shit coming out of Thor owned factories.  

As mentioned, there is no way to get less bang for your buck than an Airstream.  You get a decent camper that is pretty stripped down with a premium price.  

What is the towing capacity and GCWR of your tow vehicle.  

Here is a short read that describes why the quality of the Airstream is really worth the price you pay.  As I read through that article it made me realize that the Airstream is probably the best camper for you.  

They are a high quality unit.  Few others can compare to that quality.  Most can beat the price and storage and features but none can compete with the quality.

http://www.trailandhitch.com/are-airstreams-worth-the-price/

Long-time family friend had big VENTANA motorhome. Sold it and bought an AIRSTREAM Trailer and a new truck to tow it. They are down off Fort Myers. Haven't talked to him in a while, don't know how the trailer is doing.  

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

Just a heads up.  Thor now builds Airstream.  Thor is notorious for building absolute junk.  The tales of thor junk are all over the RV forums and have been for over a decade.  

The good news is that the Airstream has been able to buck the trend of complete shit coming out of Thor owned factories.  

As mentioned, there is no way to get less bang for your buck than an Airstream.  You get a decent camper that is pretty stripped down with a premium price.  

What is the towing capacity and GCWR of your tow vehicle.  

4500# 

5700#

3500# 

I’d be picking up a 2012 touareg along with the trailer. That has a 7700 tow rating. 

Edited by spin_dry

4 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

4500# 

5700#

3500# 

I’d be picking up a 2012 touareg along with the trailer. That has a 7700 tow rating. 

Oh very cool.  With that much towing capacity you could easily get a bigger camper than the 22FB.  Maybe that's all the RV you need and if so it would be a good one as it will be nice and light behind your tow rig.  Hard to believe how well they hold their value.  Good luck in your search.  From the dozen or so threads and articles I read today you just can't go wrong with an Airstream.  :bc: 

Just for the heck of it, I did a quick looky-see on Craigs for Airstreams.  Now, I'm not any type of camper aficionado but..WOW!  Those things are spendy.  I guess you really have to "get" the AIrstream cult to pay these types of prices.

1968 for $12K 

2008 tiny one for $13k

1962 for $15k

2018 for $68K?????

Look at this fucking shit!  2017 for $39K????

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Just for the heck of it, I did a quick looky-see on Craigs for Airstreams.  Now, I'm not any type of camper aficionado but..WOW!  Those things are spendy.  I guess you really have to "get" the AIrstream cult to pay these types of prices.

1968 for $12K 

2008 tiny one for $13k

1962 for $15k

2018 for $68K?????

Look at this fucking shit!  2017 for $39K????

Yeah, prices are pretty insane. There is a value to an airstream. They tow a lot better and when you start digging into the mfg, they’re really well put together. Oliver is another trailer mfg that exceeds expectations 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Yeah, prices are pretty insane. There is a value to an airstream. They tow a lot better and when you start digging into the mfg, they’re really well put together. Oliver is another trailer mfg that exceeds expectations 

Oh, I am aware of them and I have no interest.  Their name is pretty well known.

In addition to the ones I posted, there were several in the 5-15k range that “needed work” or were in various stages of remodeling.  If it were me, I’d find that appealing.  An older model that has been gutted upgraded to all the finest new stuff.  But I’ve got the time, the tools and some skill to do it myself.  It’d be a fun project...if I liked RVing.

11 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Oh very cool.  With that much towing capacity you could easily get a bigger camper than the 22FB.  Maybe that's all the RV you need and if so it would be a good one as it will be nice and light behind your tow rig.  Hard to believe how well they hold their value.  Good luck in your search.  From the dozen or so threads and articles I read today you just can't go wrong with an Airstream.  :bc: 

I find that Toyota grossly underrated the tow capacity of the sienna. Last year I towed a 30 foot Winnebago for 120 miles. It didn’t overheat, braked fine (I do have a brake controller) and easily pulled the trailer up to 70 mph. I don’t have a weigh distribution hitch either. Scandinavian countries list the Sienna’s tow capacity at 5000 pounds. Exact same vehicle that Toyota sold here. The Lexus V6 is really a marvel of an engine. That is if you ignore the inherent piston slap from the low profile pistons. 

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Oh, I am aware of them and I have no interest.  Their name is pretty well known.

In addition to the ones I posted, there were several in the 5-15k range that “needed work” or were in various stages of remodeling.  If it were me, I’d find that appealing.  An older model that has been gutted upgraded to all the finest new stuff.  But I’ve got the time, the tools and some skill to do it myself.  It’d be a fun project...if I liked RVing.

I’ve thought about that myself. Pick up a shell for about $4k and do a total rebuild. There’s some pretty sweet vintage stuff out there. Not just airstream either. The “50’s and “60’s was a time where some of these things were like rolling art. Yeah, a weather proof shell, solid frame, and a solid floor. The rest would fun. The biggest factor is designing a rebuild where weight distribution is engineered into the floor plan. Probably the most crucial element. 

Edited by spin_dry

Just now, smokin george said:

Wow they're spendy! I bought a new 30.5ft 5th wheel in 2005 for $34K. It had the winter pkg with heated floors,wrapped tanks,sensored roof vents etc etc and high ceilings even in the bdrm. 

Sensored roof vents are a must have. I don’t have a desire to winter camp. My son in law’s brother has an ice fishing rig that’s got about $45k into it. He took a horse trailer that had a partial living quarters and converted the entire rig a plush living quarter. It has 5 hatches in the floor with these custom made accordion drop downs that seal against the ice. It’s crazy shit. He tows it up to northern Minnesota and Canada in the dead of winter. 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

Sensored roof vents are a must have. I don’t have a desire to winter camp. My son in law’s brother has an ice fishing rig that’s got about $45k into it. He took a horse trailer that had a partial living quarters and converted the entire rig a plush living quarter. It has 5 hatches in the floor with these custom made accordion drop downs that seal against the ice. It’s crazy shit. He tows it up to northern Minnesota and Canada in the dead of winter. 

We had a private waterfront lot in a 100K acre wildlife reserve. We used it year-round and had vent covers on and the vents open all the time so the trailer could breath. After moving up north we didn't use it much so we sold it and still got a good buck for it because of where it was. Some of the best sled/atv trails,fishing,clean lakes etc

25 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I know. :lol:  likewise.  :bc:  even that little shortie is over 40 gs I think

A new 22' Bambi is $60k.  It's a single axle trailer that is approaching max GVWR sitting on the lot.  There is under 40 sqft of floor space that isn't taken up by bed or cabinetry.  They are cute and all but not very practical for anything other than weekend camping trips.   You can buy a bad ass used 40' motorhome for $45k.  It will have enough room and storage to live full time or for months at a time.  The little Airstreams are a cute niche but there is no way to get less bang for your buck than an Airstream.  It's just not possible.

1_779_2503682_85673795.jpg

This is the one and only storage compartment on the whole unit.  You might be able to fit a 12 pack in there.  

5d2ebe4b77f6d616cc74880e.jpg?width=1024&

I saw a motor home based on the airstream up near Tug Hill, the guy selling  said they were only made a few years, this had a 454 Chevy  engine and he claimed an aluminum frame.

My friend and his Daughter are restoring a very old one, completely gutted it and doing it all over as original as possible inside.

33 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

A new 22' Bambi is $60k.  It's a single axle trailer that is approaching max GVWR sitting on the lot.  There is under 40 sqft of floor space that isn't taken up by bed or cabinetry.  They are cute and all but not very practical for anything other than weekend camping trips.   You can buy a bad ass used 40' motorhome for $45k.  It will have enough room and storage to live full time or for months at a time.  The little Airstreams are a cute niche but there is no way to get less bang for your buck than an Airstream.  It's just not possible.

1_779_2503682_85673795.jpg

This is the one and only storage compartment on the whole unit.  You might be able to fit a 12 pack in there.  

5d2ebe4b77f6d616cc74880e.jpg?width=1024&

Just got a quote on a new 22 ft w/o solar. $43,000. There’s quite a bit more storage than that. I looked at one last week and I was pretty blown away by all the space. Found a used 22ft here in Wisconsin for $30k. Within 30 miles. It’s a 2013. Heading up to look at it tomorrow.