Airstream trailers.

36 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My bud found a 2014 Touareg TDI on the auction list. 65,000 miles and clean with full maint record. $11k. Nice silver to match any aluminum accessories. 

thats an awesome deal,  my top sales guy has one and loves it.  couple little issues because it's a diesel but taken care of under warranty

My neighbors just got this 1976 airstream paid 7k for it. His 1982 was totaled and the insurance wrote him a check for 12. This is his third stream. The first one he bought used, out grew it and sold it for what he paid for it. He buys them well used and upgrades the inside himself. He has owned a bunch of the cheaper box on wheels type of pull behind.  He and his wife are both teachers and the family goes all over the country pulling it with a 3/4 van. His biggest reason to run a old stream is because of the way it tows and the ease of upgrading it. He told me once a airstream fully deprecates, they hold that value for ever. I’ve never pulled one but I’ve heard they tow great for there size. Not important for most,because most are lucky to pull their camper a 1000 miles a year. I think they did 12k last year?  Airstream still support their old vintage models. There is a big Airstream dealer in Naperville IL. He told me they have parts in stock for his 1976. New ones are stupid money,but I could see buying a used one If you are going to use it a bunch. The camp grounds out west,look awesome. The camp grounds in the Midwest look like great big parking lots with hook ups and a picnic table next to each parking spot. I would never own a camper until I can travel for a month at a time like Tom does. The more you use a toy like a RV, the more it makes financial sense. Buy them clean and used and use the shit out of them.

0AA84675-9D1F-49DC-89F9-4A07556B140A.jpeg

Edited by Woodtick

2 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My neighbors just got this 1976 airstream paid 7k for it. His 1982 was totaled and the insurance wrote him a check for 12. This is his third stream. The first one he bought used, out grew it and sold it for what he paid for it. He buys them well used and upgrades the inside himself. He has owned a bunch of the cheaper box on wheels type of pull behind.  He and his wife are both teachers and the family goes all over the country pulling it with a 3/4 van. His biggest reason to run a old stream is because of the way it tows and the ease of upgrading it. He told me once a airstream fully deprecates, they hold that value for ever. I’ve never pulled one but I’ve heard they tow great for there size. Not important for most,because most are lucky to pull their camper a 1000 miles a year. I think they did 12k last year?  Airstream still support their old vintage models. There is a big Airstream dealer in Naperville IL. He told me they have parts in stock for his 1976. New ones are stupid money,but I could see buying a used one If you are going to use it a bunch. The camp grounds out west,look awesome. The camp grounds in the Midwest look like great big parking lots with hook ups and a picnic table next to each parking spot. I would never own a camper until I can travel for a month at a time like Tom does. The more you use a toy like a RV, the more it makes financial sense. Buy them clean and used and use the shit out of them.

We spent 172 nights in our RV last year.  They really only make sense if you use them.  Our cheapest nights rent in an RV park was $15 and the most expensive was $125.  We boodocked on BLM land several times for $1/day. 

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

We spent 172 nights in our RV last year.  They really only make sense if you use them.  Our cheapest nights rent in an RV park was $15 and the most expensive was $125.  We boodocked on BLM land several times for $1/day. 

I didn’t realize that the black lives matter land was so cheap?:lol::ashamed:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I didn’t realize that the black lives matter land was so cheap?:lol::ashamed:

Hahaha.  I think it's $15 for a permit and you can only stay 14 days.  If you stay 5 days you pay $3 per day.   I guess I only stayed about 5 days in any one BLM spot so I paid $3/day to stay on BLM land.  When you move you have to get another permit.  

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Hahaha.  I think it's $15 for a permit and you can only stay 14 days.  If you stay 5 days you pay $3 per day.   I guess I only stayed about 5 days in any one BLM spot so I paid $3/day to stay on BLM land.  When you move you have to get another permit.  

It’s the same in The UP. You can only stay at one campground for 14 days. You can go to another one and stay for another 14 days. I guess it keeps the gypsies out? I don’t think any of the spots have hook ups?

5 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It’s the same in The UP. You can only stay at one campground for 14 days. You can go to another one and stay for another 14 days. I guess it keeps the gypsies out? I don’t think any of the spots have hook ups?

As far as I know none of the BLM land in the southwest has hook ups either.  Depending on where you are there are water and sewer trucks that come by on a schedule.  You can get on the schedule and it's about $10 to top off your fresh water tank and $10 to empty your black and gray tanks.  Most peoples holding tanks will last a week if they're conservative.  There are plenty of folks who boondock for long term and they haul their own water and sewer and can knock those expenses in half easily.  

We don't boondock long enough to get on any kind of water/sewer schedule.  

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

As far as I know none of the BLM land in the southwest has hook ups either.  Depending on where you are there are water and sewer trucks that come by on a schedule.  You can get on the schedule and it's about $10 to top off your fresh water tank and $10 to empty your black and gray tanks.  Most peoples holding tanks will last a week if they're conservative.  There are plenty of folks who boondock for long term and they haul their own water and sewer and can knock those expenses in half easily.  

We don't boondock long enough to get on any kind of water/sewer schedule.  

Most of the sites by my cabin have out houses on septic systems and hand pumps that you would see on a old farm for potable water. There are no pump out services in the Ottawa National Forest. People know I have a driven well and try buying water from me. I always give it to them for nothing. Most of the locals have point wells and are too worried about running out of water , to fill holding tanks. Most of the ones getting water from me,have off the grid camps. A few years ago during bear season, I drank for free an entire weekend. I filled six 100 gal tanks to three different hunting groups. I wouldn’t take any money from them and they didn’t like it. It’s legal to run bear dogs by me. It was hot as fuck and they needed potable water for their dogs.