Airstream trailers.

I’ve been looking at an Airstream Bambi 22FB. Very difficult to locate late model used. They seem to hold their value quite well. I’d be keeping it for about 5 years. How’s the valuation and depreciation on these trailers? Anyone have good knowledge on these things? 

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

The pricing on both new and used is just nuts.  Hope that helps.  :lol: 

Pricing isn’t an issue. I’m wondering about depreciation. I’m asking because I can’t find any late model used units that aren’t either beat or have a salvage brand. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Pricing isn’t an issue. I’m wondering about depreciation. I’m asking because I can’t find any late model used units that aren’t either beat or have a salvage brand. 

Compared to a 30 year old minivan with 300K on it?:lol:

airstreams are such a niche that they don't get hurt as bad as most others.  Anything else used is a no brainer,  coworkers parents are retired buy a new (used) RV every spring use it for april and may then sell it in June for what they paid once they can go to the lake for the summer.  

6 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

You would be joining a cult if you bought one.

This is a fact!  I always thought they were kinda cool though.  There aren’t any other RV’s that are restored/remodeled the way those are.  At least I don’t think there are any.

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

This is a fact!  I always thought they were kinda cool though.  There aren’t any other RV’s that are restored/remodeled the way those are.  At least I don’t think there are any.

Bowlus.....

Expect to lose 35-40% after 4-5 yrs. RV resales suck, some suck worse. Markup on rv's should be illegal. We used to sell Gulfstreams that when you ordered certain packs the markup from suggested retail was 60%.

Edited by J. Jackson

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

prolly need a pickup to safely pull and airstream.   Mini Van won't cut it.

I’ve pulled a 4200# camper with the van. It does fine. Not fantastic, but ok. Hits 70 mph with ease. 

1 hour ago, J. Jackson said:

Expect to lose 35-40% after 4-5 yrs. RV resales suck, some suck worse. Markup on rv's should be illegal. We used to sell Gulfstreams that when you ordered certain packs the markup from suggested retail was 60%.

Market seems kinda soft right now. I’m finding the “19 going for $58k retail. Pricing with discounts about 49k. 7-8 year old units are $40k. 

• Gold Member
34 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve pulled a 4200# camper with the van. It does fine. Not fantastic, but ok. Hits 70 mph with ease. 

Wether something will pull it or not is irrelevant.

there is a liability concern wether the manufacture rates the tow vehicle to pull it, axle ratings and such.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Wether something will pull it or not is irrelevant.

there is a liability concern wether the manufacture rates the tow vehicle to pull it, axle ratings and such.

There is also the laws of physics when you are pulling a 4,200 lb camper with a 3,500 lb vehicle. I've done stupid shit like that plenty but wouldn't want to tour the country like that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
Just now, Anler said:

There is also the laws of physics when you are pulling a 4,200 lb camper with a 3,500 lb vehicle. I've done stupid shit like that plenty but wouldn't want to tour the country like that. 

I don’t really subscribe to that belief though.....  a 8,000lb dually Ram diesel is rated to pull around 4 times its weight.  Semi’s regular tow 5-6 times there weight.

A minivan is prolly good for 3000 lbs of towing as determined by the manufacture.

7 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I don’t really subscribe to that belief though.....  a 8,000lb dually Ram diesel is rated to pull around 4 times its weight.  Semi’s regular tow 5-6 times there weight.

A minivan is prolly good for 3000 lbs of towing as determined by the manufacture.

Uh well there is a big difference there. Those vehicles have the tools to haul, heavy duty brakes, heavy duty springs, boxed steel frames and when towing loads like that the dually pick up or semi typically have a bed mounted receiver. A mini van is gonna get thrown around over bumps and railroad tracks and those brakes are gonna get hot hot hot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Just like a Tundra can tow a fucking spaceship. That van would get pushed around like a negro at a Klan rally.

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Uh well there is a big difference there. Those vehicles have the tools to haul, heavy duty brakes, heavy duty springs, boxed steel frames and when towing loads like that the dually pick up or semi typically have a bed mounted receiver. A mini van is gonna get thrown around over bumps and railroad tracks and those brakes are gonna get hot hot hot. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Just like a Tundra can tow a fucking spaceship. That van would get pushed around like a negro at a Klan rally.

You can do it but it's not fun or ideal. 

• Like 1

Airstreams definitely have a cult following.  This following is what keeps their values high compared to a conventional tag trailer.  As far as construction goes they seem to be toward the higher end compared to most tag trailers but that isn't saying a whole bunch as they are still slapped together by a bunch of meth heads doing piece work.  Typically a used one will have all the piddly shit fixed and not likely to have many major issues.  As you mentioned you can find 7 year old Airstreams that have only lost about 30% of their value.  The problem with that is for the same money you could have a brand new 2020 camper and enough left over to put 50% down on a new truck to tow it with.  It's not possible to get less bang for your buck than with an Airstream.

Looks like the 22FB tips the scales with a 3800 GVWR.  It will be very easy to over load it so expect a ready to camp weight somewhere close to 4000lbs.  I don't know if your mini van can haul that much weight legally but it would be taxed to the max that is for sure.  The go part is easy, it's the transmission and stop part that becomes an issue.  

For $10,000 less you can get a lot more camper from Winnebago or Lance and you would have a bunch of money left over to put down on a nice used Tacoma.  

Here is a 8 year old used  22FB for $37k

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2012-Airstream-BAMBI-22FB-5008551207

Here is a brand new 22' Winnebago with a huge slide and lots of storage for $22k.  The $15k you save will go a long way towards a gently used Tacoma.  You will lose less money on this after 5 years than you would on any 13 year old Airstream. 

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2019-Winnebago-MICRO-MINNIE-2100BH-5007918920

Edited by AKIQPilot
  • Like 1