President Trump Delivers Lifesaving Deregulation

How many of you noticed the most life-changing story of the week? Yesterday, President Trump made a stunning speech announcing regulatory changes that will save thousands of American lives each year.

As the President noted, roughly 100,000 Americans with kidney disease are awaiting a transplant from a donor. About 20,000 Americans are awaiting transplants of other organs.

These estimates are, if anything, on the low side. Indeed, there are many people who never bother with the transplant waiting list because, under the current system, their prospects of receiving a transplant are so low. Last year, there were about 21,000 kidney transplants in the United States, but the transplant waiting list has remained stuck in the 90,000 to 100,000 person range for some years. If you are old, or even a young person in frail health, you won’t receive a kidney. Donor kidney’s are reserved for more “deserving” recipients. Shockingly, it’s estimated that 43,000 Americans die prematurely each year because they don’t receive a life-saving kidney transplant. For context, this exceeds the number of people who die in car accidents each year.

The shortage of kidneys and other organs is substantially, and probably fully, the fault of inhumane government regulations. The federal government has regulated national organ procurement since the National Organ Transplant Act of 1984. Since then, the waiting lists have increased in length.

The shortages of kidneys and livers, the second most needed organ, are especially sad. After all, an adequate supply is readily available. Unlike other organs, kidneys and livers can be donated by living persons, who, after their donation, can continue to lead normal lives. Recently, Fox News correspondent Ed Henry announced that he will donate part of his liver to save the life of his sister with liver disease. He not only anticipates saving the life of his sister, but also leading a normal life after the donation.

President Trump’s life-saving executive order is multipronged. The change that will probably save the most lives is the provision that allows for reimbursement of organ donors’ lost wages and childcare expenses. Currently, organ donors spend money out of their own pocket and time to donate. My good friend and longtime collaborator donated one of his kidneys several years ago. For his efforts, which included traveling to a distant hospital and undergoing multiple tests and interviews, he received free parking at the hospital’s garage and a free lunch at the hospital’s cafeteria. In the process, he burned up a significant portion of his annual leave time.

The reimbursement provision that is contained in the executive order will offset some of the donors’ costs. Accordingly, the provision will substantially increase the supply of kidneys. It also makes excellent economic sense. Kidney dialysis costs $76,000 or more per year and can last for years while a patient slowly works to the top of the kidney transplant waiting list – or dies first. By avoiding the heavy costs associated with dialysis, transplantation has a very rapid payback period of less than two years. In consequence, the expansion of the supply of kidneys will save the federal government, which pays the expenses of dialysis for patients not covered by private insurance, billions of dollars a year.

President Trump’s actions go near the edge of what current law allows. As I wrote in a December 2018 Forbes column, the federal government should go further. It should allow compensation to donors in addition to the payment of lost wages and expenses. Reasonable levels of compensation should be enough to eliminate the shortages of kidneys and livers entirely. This would require action by the Congress to reform the National Organ Transplant Act.

Deregulation has been one of the major, and usually underreported, successes of the Trump administration. Trump is the first president since Ronald Regan to pursue a broad deregulatory agenda. A proxy measure of regulatory activity is the number of pages on new regulations published in the Federal Register. In 2016, Barack Obama’s last year as president, the page count reached a staggering 95,894. Under Trump, the page count has fallen to less than 65,000, the lowest page count in about a quarter-century.

Economists often argue for deregulation in terms of money saved. But, once in a while, something more than the pocketbook is at stake. Every president since Reagan could have pushed the deregulatory envelope to save lives, but they didn’t. Well, Trump did it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevehanke/2019/07/11/president-trump-delivers-life-saving-deregulation/#5ea27d58527f

30 minutes ago, Anler said:

This is good but I don't think the elderly should get new organs. They are already burden enough, give the organs to younger people. 

Definitely.  We need death panels to decide who gets what after about 60 years old.  Boomers need to die ASAP.  :bc: 

• Like 1

This is one of the best things about Trump’s presidency. Slash the regulations and in cases of healthcare, people should be a lot more free to do what they’d like, especially if the other road leads to death.

32 minutes ago, Snake said:

I've seen 3 kidney donor signs in the area. I'd say it was an issue.

Dialysis places are popping up around here like Jimmy John's. I'd say it's an issue. 

2 hours ago, Anler said:

This is good but I don't think the elderly should get new organs. They are already burden enough, give the organs to younger people. 

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

Definitely.  We need death panels to decide who gets what after about 60 years old.  Boomers need to die ASAP.  :bc: 

spot on

I was born in 1947, wife in 1954, so we're Boomers, we didn't have any say-so when we were conceived, to say that we should hurry up and die is simply wrong, all those that say that will be my age in what will seem like just a heartbeat and before you know it you too will be in your 60-70's..I moved here when I was 44, it seems like 2-3 years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I was born in 1947, wife in 1954, so we're Boomers, we didn't have any say-so when we were conceived, to say that we should hurry up and die is simply wrong, all those that say that will be my age in what will seem like just a heartbeat and before you know it you too will be in your 60-70's..I moved here when I was 44, it seems like 2-3 years ago.

Agree.

this topic hits close to home. I won’t go into it here because it’s not wort the keyboard time.

like I said what Trumps doing has mostly already been done.

Edited by Mainecat

7 hours ago, Snake said:

How many of you noticed the most life-changing story of the week? Yesterday, President Trump made a stunning speech announcing regulatory changes that will save thousands of American lives each year.

As the President noted, roughly 100,000 Americans with kidney disease are awaiting a transplant from a donor. About 20,000 Americans are awaiting transplants of other organs.

These estimates are, if anything, on the low side. Indeed, there are many people who never bother with the transplant waiting list because, under the current system, their prospects of receiving a transplant are so low. Last year, there were about 21,000 kidney transplants in the United States, but the transplant waiting list has remained stuck in the 90,000 to 100,000 person range for some years. If you are old, or even a young person in frail health, you won’t receive a kidney. Donor kidney’s are reserved for more “deserving” recipients. Shockingly, it’s estimated that 43,000 Americans die prematurely each year because they don’t receive a life-saving kidney transplant. For context, this exceeds the number of people who die in car accidents each year.

The shortage of kidneys and other organs is substantially, and probably fully, the fault of inhumane government regulations. The federal government has regulated national organ procurement since the National Organ Transplant Act of 1984. Since then, the waiting lists have increased in length.

The shortages of kidneys and livers, the second most needed organ, are especially sad. After all, an adequate supply is readily available. Unlike other organs, kidneys and livers can be donated by living persons, who, after their donation, can continue to lead normal lives. Recently, Fox News correspondent Ed Henry announced that he will donate part of his liver to save the life of his sister with liver disease. He not only anticipates saving the life of his sister, but also leading a normal life after the donation.

President Trump’s life-saving executive order is multipronged. The change that will probably save the most lives is the provision that allows for reimbursement of organ donors’ lost wages and childcare expenses. Currently, organ donors spend money out of their own pocket and time to donate. My good friend and longtime collaborator donated one of his kidneys several years ago. For his efforts, which included traveling to a distant hospital and undergoing multiple tests and interviews, he received free parking at the hospital’s garage and a free lunch at the hospital’s cafeteria. In the process, he burned up a significant portion of his annual leave time.

The reimbursement provision that is contained in the executive order will offset some of the donors’ costs. Accordingly, the provision will substantially increase the supply of kidneys. It also makes excellent economic sense. Kidney dialysis costs $76,000 or more per year and can last for years while a patient slowly works to the top of the kidney transplant waiting list – or dies first. By avoiding the heavy costs associated with dialysis, transplantation has a very rapid payback period of less than two years. In consequence, the expansion of the supply of kidneys will save the federal government, which pays the expenses of dialysis for patients not covered by private insurance, billions of dollars a year.

President Trump’s actions go near the edge of what current law allows. As I wrote in a December 2018 Forbes column, the federal government should go further. It should allow compensation to donors in addition to the payment of lost wages and expenses. Reasonable levels of compensation should be enough to eliminate the shortages of kidneys and livers entirely. This would require action by the Congress to reform the National Organ Transplant Act.

Deregulation has been one of the major, and usually underreported, successes of the Trump administration. Trump is the first president since Ronald Regan to pursue a broad deregulatory agenda. A proxy measure of regulatory activity is the number of pages on new regulations published in the Federal Register. In 2016, Barack Obama’s last year as president, the page count reached a staggering 95,894. Under Trump, the page count has fallen to less than 65,000, the lowest page count in about a quarter-century.

Economists often argue for deregulation in terms of money saved. But, once in a while, something more than the pocketbook is at stake. Every president since Reagan could have pushed the deregulatory envelope to save lives, but they didn’t. Well, Trump did it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevehanke/2019/07/11/president-trump-delivers-life-saving-deregulation/#5ea27d58527f

1405310738057.jpg

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Bill Nye.......... Boom Boom's hero, says old people should die so Global warming/science can progress. My gut tells me, the older generation, who know that Global Warming is a scam and a hoax are cutting into his profits. Boom Boom admires this guy and thinks he's a real scientist. :wacko:

https://www.cnet.com/news/bill-nye-cant-wait-for-more-old-people-to-die/   https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bill-nye-older-people-need-to-die-out-before-climate-science-can-advance   https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/bill-nye-climate-deniers-die_n_5971556ce4b09e5f6cce59c7

climate5.jpg

36 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

well he is right we need ot let older people die,  we should be rationing all medical care to those over 60 to make sure we are going to get a return on the investment.  

Why wait until 60? I say do it at 40 just like in Logan's run. :crazy:

Logans run.gif

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

if your in your 40's typically your a contributor in some way.  I would def be OK rationing to those on SSDI though.  

So, once you're done working/contributing to society, you should be offed because you are a burden on the society you contributed too? :dunno:

2 hours ago, irv said:

So, once you're done working/contributing to society, you should be offed because you are a burden on the society you contributed too? :dunno:

you definitely should not be getting the medical care of a contributor.  No reason old people get transplants for example,  ones who don't take care of themselves should be put down.  Those with minimal chance of surviving a disease should be put down,  those whose quality of life is not good should be put down.  very few people should live to longer than 70-75.    

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

you definitely should not be getting the medical care of a contributor.  No reason old people get transplants for example,  ones who don't take care of themselves should be put down.  Those with minimal chance of surviving a disease should be put down,  those whose quality of life is not good should be put down.  very few people should live to longer than 70-75.    

Good lord dude what's with the morbid uncompassion? Give your head a shake. Don't working people contribute their entire lives by having FICA deductions taken from their pay? According to you, it sounds like most of us have a big refund coming. :lol: When do we get to stop paying disability for all the able bodied people who are on disability?

16 minutes ago, Snake said:

Ain't had a cigarette in 4 5 years.

Well, your chances of dying from cancer (especially lung) because you smoked for alot of years are greater than the fat fuck who went on a diet and hasn't had cake in 4-5 years. :lol: