Retirement

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Good for you. Retirement really isn’t the challenge I thought it would be. I did a lot of travel in my 20’s through early “50’s so this isn’t something that interests me. There’s still plenty to do though. I do miss the fast paced nature of working in forensics. I’ve got more than enough opportunities for some part time work. I’m giving it until fall and I’ll take advantage of one if those positions. You’ll love it. 

If I retired now I would get bored in a hurry, but I've been trying to slow down the pace a tad.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:41 PM, smokin george said:

Looking forward to it and working on the countdown. It's 39 working days minus the Fridays I've booked off and with the days getting shorter lol it'll be soon enough. They asked if there was anything that'll change my mind and stay longer. I said I've had enough .

Congrats George! :bc:

End of the month for me. Come August 1st I will be officially retired. I am currently on holidays and burning up a few other things I accumulated over the years so I won't be going back! 

36.29 yrs is plenty for me! I started there when I was 18 and I turned 55 On May 24th. I am currently in wind down mode but it will really hit home when that 1st retirement cheque is deposited. :bc:

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, irv said:

End of the month for me. Come August 1st I will be officially retired. I am currently on holidays and burning up a few other things I accumulated over the years so I won't be going back! 

36.29 yrs is plenty for me! I started there when I was 18 and I turned 55 On May 24th. I am currently in wind down mode but it will really hit home when that 1st retirement cheque is deposited. :bc:

That's awesome Irv.  Is that a power generation plant of some sort?  

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
28 minutes ago, irv said:

Congrats

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

That's awesome Irv.  Is that a power generation plant of some sort?  

Darlington Nuclear Generation Station, Tom, or DNGS for short. I started there pouring concrete at 18 and did that gig for 6 yrs before transferring/applying for Operations. 

https://www.opg.com/powering-ontario/our-generation/nuclear/darlington-nuclear/

Darlington View from top of Vacuum Bldg looking East, October 18 1984.jpg

Darlington concrete pouring.jpg

Darlington construction-234-.jpg

Darlington Emergency Service Water intake, May 23 1984.jpg

Darlington ESW Intake from Forebay, looking East SCI 27100.jpg

Darlington site from West to North to East, October 1986 (1).jpg

Edited by irv

2 hours ago, irv said:

Congrats!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, irv said:

Thanks Dale! I cant wait to make coffee,sit on the porch and just enjoy the day

Just now, smokin george said:

Thanks Dale! I cant wait to make coffee,sit on the porch and just enjoy the day

It's a great feeling, George! I've been in practice mode for a bit now but will be real relaxed when it's official. Many have said, it can take some months before you actually unwind and de-stress fully. 

I don't plan on taking that long, personally, but maybe I'll understand what they mean when I finally hit that spot. :bc: 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 7/6/2019 at 9:17 PM, small-bore said:

I'm only 53 and I'm completely worn out. I don't know how I'm going to make it to retirement age.

I’ve retired from contracting.  30 yrs of construction, 5 surgeries took its toll. If I wanted to walk upright I had to make a change. Luckily life, business and investments have been good so at 49 I’ve semi retired lol. I caretake a couple of nonprofit shelters in the area. About 25-30 hours a week. I like it. They are both big old New England homes that need some love. Just puttering. And I still get to use my collection of tools lol.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, irv said:

Darlington Nuclear Generation Station, Tom, or DNGS for short. I started there pouring concrete at 18 and did that gig for 6 yrs before transferring/applying for Operations. 

https://www.opg.com/powering-ontario/our-generation/nuclear/darlington-nuclear/

Darlington View from top of Vacuum Bldg looking East, October 18 1984.jpg

Darlington concrete pouring.jpg

Darlington construction-234-.jpg

Darlington Emergency Service Water intake, May 23 1984.jpg

Darlington ESW Intake from Forebay, looking East SCI 27100.jpg

Darlington site from West to North to East, October 1986 (1).jpg

Wow, incredible old pictures there.  The rebar in the second picture is HUGE.  I've never seen rebar that big.  

47 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Wow, incredible old pictures there.  The rebar in the second picture is HUGE.  I've never seen rebar that big.  

And tons of it!!! Some of the walls we poured we had to get the rod busters to open a hole so we could get down inside. If you were claustrophobic you were done. Once inside between all the rebar, if you could spread your arms out you couldn't touch the outer panels. That was how much rebar and how thick the walls were that they had around the reactor/containment. We had to use a super plasticizer in the concrete to ensure it would flow through all the rebar and reach the outer forms. Some slabs, like in the one pic you mentioned, were also nuts with rebar. Some places it was almost impossible to get the vibrator through to pound the concrete.  It was nuts to say the least!   

tspa_0002384f.jpg

Jan 10 1980, Darlington GS, Central Services Bay, foreground lookin gWest toward units #2 & #1.jpg

Edited by irv
  • Like 1