Retirement

Looking forward to it and working on the countdown. It's 39 working days minus the Fridays I've booked off and with the days getting shorter lol it'll be soon enough. They asked if there was anything that'll change my mind and stay longer. I said I've had enough .

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Looking forward to it and working on the countdown. It's 39 working days minus the Fridays I've booked off and with the days getting shorter lol it'll be soon enough. They asked if there was anything that'll change my mind and stay longer. I said I've had enough .

Congratulations, you will love it.

Retirement is pretty cool for sure.  I retired in 2016 after 34 years with the same company.  I was only 55 but I had had enough and was ready to move on.  After taking almost a year off I got talked in to coming back and writing training manuals and doing competency assessments on the Operations and Maintenance staff of the company I used to work for.  The best part of this is I just give them the schedule I'm willing to work and they pay me to show up a few days every month.  I can work from home or from abroad too.  It's a pretty good gig and I make enough money to survive and not draw anything from any of my retirement plans.  

Edited by AKIQPilot
  • Like 2

I bailed out in 2010 with some extra consulting work for a couple of years.  Took a couple of years “off” then, got into side contracting jobs after I built my current home.  I work how and when I want.  Haven’t touched any “retirement funds” yet.  In fact...up 40%!!

We live simply, did all our traveling early and not into big ticket items really anymore.  Still, debt free and we easily roll through $3k month in expenses.  Not sure how people that haven’t been able to save and prepare can retire at all.  I guess social security and Medicare are pretty good? :dunno:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smokin george said:

Congrats, on year 2 best decision I even made. You will love it. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys! We bought all the new toys in advance and have set everything up as good as we could.i have a part time job lined up that won't interfere with sledding,boating and I can drive the sxs to get there for some bonus bucks lol

Ruffly 8-10 years for me but looking forward to it . Don't like where I work but need a job and this one pays well, actually the job itself is good but the idiots I work with make it difficult to get up in the morning to go in.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
31 minutes ago, Skeeter21i said:

Yep, after the stroke, said enough is enough and am now living at the cottage.  Life is too short..

How  has your health been...hopefully no issues! :thumb:

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

How  has your health been...hopefully no issues! :thumb:

Not going to complain....woke up this morning and spent the day with my kids and 4 grandkids, life is pretty good. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, Skeeter21i said:

Not going to complain....woke up this morning and spent the day with my kids and 4 grandkids, life is pretty good. 

Sounds damn good! :ylsuper:

6 hours ago, smokin george said:

Congrats George.

2 hours ago, snowbear said:

Ruffly 8-10 years for me but looking forward to it . Don't like where I work but need a job and this one pays well, actually the job itself is good but the idiots I work with make it difficult to get up in the morning to go in.

That's probably about the time when I will pack it in.  I really enjoy what I do and the company around me so there hasn't been many days in the past 30 years when I haven't enjoyed going to work.  Great to know I could retire without any financial concern anytime I choose.

2 hours ago, Skeeter21i said:

Yep, after the stroke, said enough is enough and am now living at the cottage.  Life is too short..

It is, best of health to you.

13 hours ago, small-bore said:

I'm only 53 and I'm completely worn out. I don't know how I'm going to make it to retirement age.

While I am far from 'worn out', I definitely feel the age. I'll be more than ready to go.

I still feel good other than a little shoulder pain from shifting and tightening load straps all these years. I stayed an extra year to recoup some of money I spent on toys and now ready to enjoy them . We can go fishing,sledding,driving the sxs or just going out in the boat. Looking forward to every day being a holiday.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smokin george said:

Good for you. Retirement really isn’t the challenge I thought it would be. I did a lot of travel in my 20’s through early “50’s so this isn’t something that interests me. There’s still plenty to do though. I do miss the fast paced nature of working in forensics. I’ve got more than enough opportunities for some part time work. I’m giving it until fall and I’ll take advantage of one if those positions. You’ll love it. 

39 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Good for you. Retirement really isn’t the challenge I thought it would be. I did a lot of travel in my 20’s through early “50’s so this isn’t something that interests me. There’s still plenty to do though. I do miss the fast paced nature of working in forensics. I’ve got more than enough opportunities for some part time work. I’m giving it until fall and I’ll take advantage of one if those positions. You’ll love it. 

The guy that detailed my boat wants me to work for him. It"ll be something new for me and gets me out of the house a few days a week. The wife packed it in and goes for a knee replacement in the morning and when she's able again will be grooming dogs at home instead of giving up a percentage to the place in town.Itll be part time work and full time fun for both of us and won't have to worry about dipping into our slush funds

22 hours ago, BOHICA said:

At 42 years old, a 20 year career and belong to a Union I’m pretty much retired in place!!!!

congrat George!!!

I had a pension with the company I was with years ago and when time came I withdrew it and reinvested. I took my CPP at 60 and socked that and the OAS for the past 1 1/2 years away. We're gonna be poor seniors lol

59 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Dude, you’ve been “retired” for what?  A month or so?  You are still on vacation.  Wait a year.  

5 minutes ago, smokin george said:

The guy that detailed my boat wants me to work for him. It"ll be something new for me and gets me out of the house a few days a week. The wife packed it in and goes for a knee replacement in the morning and when she's able again will be grooming dogs at home instead of giving up a percentage to the place in town.Itll be part time work and full time fun for both of us and won't have to worry about dipping into our slush funds

I think that’s been the key for me.  I need to stay busy.  But, just want to work a couple days a week or so....or a couple weeks a month. I just happened to fall into something I always likes to do....construction stuff.  I enjoy it and have ended up making enough money that I need to involve my accountant!!!!  Too funny!  Why couldn’t making money be this way in the “real world”?  I guess because it doesn’t really matter now.  That’s how life works.  Suck city!!!!

• Like 1