It would take humans over 100,000 years to melt all the ice off Antarctica on purpose

Just now, old indy said:

I heard a report that this past June was one of the hottest on record  or some line like that..  where the hell are these assholes located? every non commercial report or comment from across this counrty I have personally heard said its been COLD.  cold and wet.  yet the knobs are trying to force us to believe the opposite of what we actually have been through and felt for ourselves........        

Global mean temperature has nothing to do with a cold spell or a heat wave...UNLESS it fits the narrative of alarmists looking to tax us.

4 minutes ago, old indy said:

I heard a report that this past June was one of the hottest on record  or some line like that..  where the hell are these assholes located? every non commercial report or comment from across this counrty I have personally heard said its been COLD.  cold and wet.  yet the knobs are trying to force us to believe the opposite of what we actually have been through and felt for ourselves........        

Cold here almost all year too. Some are worried about an early frost 

On 7/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, Highmark said:

Funny how record cold never seems to get quite the headline and attention to the Climate change crowd even though they changed it from global warming.

Click to follow
The Independent

Temperatures in Greece have hit record lows and Athens has seen a rare dusting of snow, as deadly winter weather continues to pummel Europe.

Northern Greece saw an all-time low of -23C on Tuesday, which was recorded in the city of Florina, disrupting roads, rail and bus services.

While tourists at the Acropolis were treated to a snow-globe scene on Tuesday, locals had to contend with roads made impassable by ice and many schools were closed in the Athens region.

Any idea why Europe is getting colder in the winter?

Edited by revkevsdi

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

Any idea why Europe is getting colder in the winter?

Global warming.  :lol:  

7 minutes ago, Duke KaBoom said:

I guess boom boom just learned about the existence of the gulf stream

And if we all just “educate ourselves” well come up with the same conclusion as him!!!  

This is what happens when you can’t back your own argument.  “GOOGLE IT YOURSELF!!!!!”

:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, revkevsdi said:

Good boy.  

Now look up Gulf Stream and educate yourself. 

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

Climate mythology:
The Gulf Stream, European climate and Abrupt Change
Richard Seager
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
Richard Seager's presentation to the New York Academy of Sciences:
The Gulf Stream, European Climate and Abrupt Climate Change 

A few times a year the British media of all stripes goes into a tizzy of panic when one climate scientist or another states that there is a possibility that the North Atlantic ocean circulation, of which the Gulf Stream is a major part, will slow down in coming years or even stop. Whether the scientists statements are measured or inflammatory the media invariably warns that this will plunge Britain and Europe into a new ice age, pictures of the icy shores of Labrador are shown, created film of English Channel ferries making their way through sea ice are broadcast... And so the circus continues year after year. Here is one example.

The Gulf Stream-European climate myth
The panic is based on a long held belief of the British, other Europeans, Americans and, indeed, much of the world's population that the northward heat transport by the Gulf Stream is the reason why western Europe enjoys a mild climate, much milder than, say, that of eastern North America. This idea was actually originated by an American military man, Matthew Fontaine Maury, in the mid nineteenth century and has stuck since despite the absence of proof.

We now know this is a myth, the climatological equivalent of an urban legend. In a detailed study published in the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society in 2002, we demonstrated the limited role that ocean heat transport plays in determining regional climates around the Atlantic Ocean. Popular versions of this story can be found here, here and, in French, here.

The determinants of North Atlantic regional climates
We showed that there are three processes that need to be evaluated:
  1. The ocean absorbs heat in summer and releases it in winter. Regions that are downwind of oceans in winter will have mild climates. This process does not require ocean currents or ocean heat transport.
  2. The atmosphere moves heat poleward and warm climates where the heat converges. In additions, the waviness in the atmospheric flow creates warm climates where the air flows poleward and cold climates where it flows equatorward.
  3. The ocean moves heat poleward and will warm climates where it releases heat and the atmosphere picks it up and moves it onto land.
Using observations and climate models we found that, at the latitudes of Europe, the atmospheric heat transport exceeds that of the ocean by several fold. In winter it may even by an order of magnitude greater. Thus it is the atmosphere, not the ocean, that does the lion's share of the work ameliorating winter climates in the extratropics. We also found that the seasonal absorption and release of heat by the ocean has a much larger impact on regional climates than does the movement of heat by ocean currents.

Seasonal storage and release accounts for half the winter temperature difference across the North Atlantic Ocean. But the 500 pound gorilla in how regional climates are determined around the Atlantic turned out to be the Rocky Mountains. Because of the need to conserve angular momentum, as air flows from the west across the mountains it is forced to first turn south and then to turn north further downstream. As such the mountains force cold air south into eastern North America and warm air north into western Europe. This waviness in the flow is responsible for the other half of the temperature difference across the North Atlantic Ocean.

Hence:
  1. Fifty percent of the winter temperature difference across the North Atlantic is caused by the eastward atmospheric transport of heat released by the ocean that was absorbed and stored in the summer.
  2. Fifty percent is caused by the stationary waves of the atmospheric flow.
  3. The ocean heat transport contributes a small warming across the basin.

The seasonal ocean heat storage and pattern of atmospheric heat transport add up to make winters in western Europe 15 to 20 degrees C warmer than those in eastern North America. A very similar process occurs across the Pacific Ocean. The ocean heat transport warms the North Atlantic Ocean and the land on both sides by a modest few degrees C. The only place where the ocean heat transport fundamentally alters climate is along the coast of northern Norway which would be sea ice-covered were it not for the warm northward flowing Norwegian Current.

The Gulf Stream and future climate change
A slowdown of the Gulf Stream and ocean circulation in the future, induced by freshening of the waters caused by anthropogenic climate change (via melting glaciers and increased water vapor transport into high latitudes) or simply by warming, would thus introduce a modest cooling tendency. This would leave the temperature contrast across the Atlantic unchanged and not plunge Europe back into the ice age or anything like it. In fact the cooling tendency would probably be overwhelmed by the direct radiatively-driven warming by rising greenhouse gases.

North Atlantic Ocean circulation and abrupt climate change
The conflation of the Gulf Stream, ocean heat transport and Europe's climate has led to changes in ocean circulation being the reigning theory of the cause of glacial era abrupt climate change. These abrupt changes - the Dansgaard-Oeschger events of the last ice age and the Younger Dryas cold reversal of the last deglaciation - are well recorded in the Greenland ice core and Europe and involved changes in winter temperature of as much as thirty degrees C! For the Younger Dryas it has been proposed that the sudden release of glacial meltwater from ice dammed Lake Agassiz freshened the North Atlantic and shut down the overturning circulation causing dramatic regional coooling.

Only through an inflated view of the impact of ocean circulation could it be thought that the enormous glacial era abrupt changes were caused by changes in ocean circulation. Instead, as we have argued, changes in atmospheric circulation regimes had to be the driver, see (Seager and Battisti,2007). Determining how this could happen has become more of a priority now that the geological evidence for the Lake Agassiz flood has not been found, see (Broecker,2006).

Moving beyond the myth
It is long time that the Gulf Stream-European climate myth was resigned to the graveyard of defunct misconceptions along with the Earth being flat and the sun going around the Earth. In its place we need serious assessments of how changes in ocean circulation will impact climate change and a new look at the problem of abrupt climate change that gives the tropical climate system and the atmosphere their due as the primary drivers of regional climates around the world.

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

Good boy.  

Good boy.  

I stubbed my toe(global warming), I lost at poker(global wartming), my dick will not stay hard(global warming), My family hates me(global warming), I like to kayak(global warming), I am a fucking moron(global warming).....a day in the life of warmerkevvy.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

http://ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu/res/div/ocp/gs/

Climate mythology:
The Gulf Stream, European climate and Abrupt Change
Richard Seager
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
Richard Seager's presentation to the New York Academy of Sciences:
The Gulf Stream, European Climate and Abrupt Climate Change 

A few times a year the British media of all stripes goes into a tizzy of panic when one climate scientist or another states that there is a possibility that the North Atlantic ocean circulation, of which the Gulf Stream is a major part, will slow down in coming years or even stop. Whether the scientists statements are measured or inflammatory the media invariably warns that this will plunge Britain and Europe into a new ice age, pictures of the icy shores of Labrador are shown, created film of English Channel ferries making their way through sea ice are broadcast... And so the circus continues year after year. Here is one example.

The Gulf Stream-European climate myth
The panic is based on a long held belief of the British, other Europeans, Americans and, indeed, much of the world's population that the northward heat transport by the Gulf Stream is the reason why western Europe enjoys a mild climate, much milder than, say, that of eastern North America. This idea was actually originated by an American military man, Matthew Fontaine Maury, in the mid nineteenth century and has stuck since despite the absence of proof.

We now know this is a myth, the climatological equivalent of an urban legend. In a detailed study published in the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society in 2002, we demonstrated the limited role that ocean heat transport plays in determining regional climates around the Atlantic Ocean. Popular versions of this story can be found here, here and, in French, here.

The determinants of North Atlantic regional climates
We showed that there are three processes that need to be evaluated:
  1. The ocean absorbs heat in summer and releases it in winter. Regions that are downwind of oceans in winter will have mild climates. This process does not require ocean currents or ocean heat transport.
  2. The atmosphere moves heat poleward and warm climates where the heat converges. In additions, the waviness in the atmospheric flow creates warm climates where the air flows poleward and cold climates where it flows equatorward.
  3. The ocean moves heat poleward and will warm climates where it releases heat and the atmosphere picks it up and moves it onto land.
Using observations and climate models we found that, at the latitudes of Europe, the atmospheric heat transport exceeds that of the ocean by several fold. In winter it may even by an order of magnitude greater. Thus it is the atmosphere, not the ocean, that does the lion's share of the work ameliorating winter climates in the extratropics. We also found that the seasonal absorption and release of heat by the ocean has a much larger impact on regional climates than does the movement of heat by ocean currents.

Seasonal storage and release accounts for half the winter temperature difference across the North Atlantic Ocean. But the 500 pound gorilla in how regional climates are determined around the Atlantic turned out to be the Rocky Mountains. Because of the need to conserve angular momentum, as air flows from the west across the mountains it is forced to first turn south and then to turn north further downstream. As such the mountains force cold air south into eastern North America and warm air north into western Europe. This waviness in the flow is responsible for the other half of the temperature difference across the North Atlantic Ocean.

Hence:
  1. Fifty percent of the winter temperature difference across the North Atlantic is caused by the eastward atmospheric transport of heat released by the ocean that was absorbed and stored in the summer.
  2. Fifty percent is caused by the stationary waves of the atmospheric flow.
  3. The ocean heat transport contributes a small warming across the basin.

The seasonal ocean heat storage and pattern of atmospheric heat transport add up to make winters in western Europe 15 to 20 degrees C warmer than those in eastern North America. A very similar process occurs across the Pacific Ocean. The ocean heat transport warms the North Atlantic Ocean and the land on both sides by a modest few degrees C. The only place where the ocean heat transport fundamentally alters climate is along the coast of northern Norway which would be sea ice-covered were it not for the warm northward flowing Norwegian Current.

The Gulf Stream and future climate change
A slowdown of the Gulf Stream and ocean circulation in the future, induced by freshening of the waters caused by anthropogenic climate change (via melting glaciers and increased water vapor transport into high latitudes) or simply by warming, would thus introduce a modest cooling tendency. This would leave the temperature contrast across the Atlantic unchanged and not plunge Europe back into the ice age or anything like it. In fact the cooling tendency would probably be overwhelmed by the direct radiatively-driven warming by rising greenhouse gases.

North Atlantic Ocean circulation and abrupt climate change
The conflation of the Gulf Stream, ocean heat transport and Europe's climate has led to changes in ocean circulation being the reigning theory of the cause of glacial era abrupt climate change. These abrupt changes - the Dansgaard-Oeschger events of the last ice age and the Younger Dryas cold reversal of the last deglaciation - are well recorded in the Greenland ice core and Europe and involved changes in winter temperature of as much as thirty degrees C! For the Younger Dryas it has been proposed that the sudden release of glacial meltwater from ice dammed Lake Agassiz freshened the North Atlantic and shut down the overturning circulation causing dramatic regional coooling.

Only through an inflated view of the impact of ocean circulation could it be thought that the enormous glacial era abrupt changes were caused by changes in ocean circulation. Instead, as we have argued, changes in atmospheric circulation regimes had to be the driver, see (Seager and Battisti,2007). Determining how this could happen has become more of a priority now that the geological evidence for the Lake Agassiz flood has not been found, see (Broecker,2006).

Moving beyond the myth
It is long time that the Gulf Stream-European climate myth was resigned to the graveyard of defunct misconceptions along with the Earth being flat and the sun going around the Earth. In its place we need serious assessments of how changes in ocean circulation will impact climate change and a new look at the problem of abrupt climate change that gives the tropical climate system and the atmosphere their due as the primary drivers of regional climates around the world.

2 hours ago, Duke KaBoom said:

I guess boom boom just learned about the existence of the gulf stream

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

And if we all just “educate ourselves” well come up with the same conclusion as him!!!  

This is what happens when you can’t back your own argument.  “GOOGLE IT YOURSELF!!!!!”

38 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

I stubbed my toe(global warming), I lost at poker(global wartming), my dick will not stay hard(global warming), My family hates me(global warming), I like to kayak(global warming), I am a fucking moron(global warming).....a day in the life of warmerkevvy.

Did you fucktards read the article Highmark quoted?

in case you missed the message here is another quote from the author. 

"With 2016 set to be the warmest year on record, it is urgent that all the world intensify efforts to reduce emissions of greenhouses gases," Richard Seager, a leading climate scientist at Columbia University, told The Mercury News.

:groin:

1 minute ago, revkevsdi said:

"With 2016 set to be the warmest year on record, it is urgent that all the world intensify efforts to reduce emissions of greenhouses gases," Richard Seager, a leading climate scientist at Columbia University, told The Mercury News.

Why would I care that the climate is changing? if you honestly believed all the doom and gloom you would do something about it. But no, instead you simply preach to others and think paying a few bucks in taxes is the answer. Just go without oil in your life for a month, I will visit your grave you fucktard.

4 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

Why would I care that the climate is changing? if you honestly believed all the doom and gloom you would do something about it. But no, instead you simply preach to others and think paying a few bucks in taxes is the answer. Just go without oil in your life for a month, I will visit your grave you fucktard.

You are posting on a topic about it. 

Shut the fuck up if you don’t care dumbass. 

19 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

It’s been cooling since 2016

and that’s very far from the warmest the earth has been 

you’re also arguing about tenths of a degree and don’t even know it 

7 hours ago, Duke KaBoom said:

It’s been cooling since 2016

and that’s very far from the warmest the earth has been 

you’re also arguing about tenths of a degree and don’t even know it 

Fucktards like you can't make up your mind. 

First it isn't happening.  But if it is happening it's sunspots. then volcanoes, then the data is wrong. 

You'd think the 5% of fakers that are paid by the fossil fuel industry could at least decide on a narrative. 

First it isn't happening.  But if it is happening it's sunspots. then volcanoes, then the data is wrong. 

You'd think the 5% of fakers that are paid by the fossil fuel industry could at least decide on a narrative. 

Nobody has ever denied the climate is in flux. You are too fucking obtuse to understand that government taxes will not do a fucking thing to change it. Morons like you cheer as government thrusts more and more social engineering upon us with the only outcome being lost freedoms. Could you be more fucking stupid?

23 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

Nobody has ever denied the climate is in flux. You are too fucking obtuse to understand that government taxes will not do a fucking thing to change it. Morons like you cheer as government thrusts more and more social engineering upon us with the only outcome being lost freedoms. Could you be more fucking stupid?

Actually people hate paying extra tax.  Because of that they’ll find ways to avoid paying it.  The people who hate tax the most would be the first to switch to alternative energy sources and or increase the efficiency of equipment.  That means less CO2 in the atmosphere.  CO2 has been a known greenhouse gas since the 1800’s.  Once the economies of scale kick in, it won’t even be cost effective to pursue fossil fuel based power.  You have to use power to even get fossil fuels out of the ground and yet still more to transport it to where it will be used.  With solar and wind, the energy source is delivered right to where you’ll be using it by nature.  Cars will eventually shift from battery cell based electricity storage to hydrogen.  You really need to chill out; you’ll adapt to the future just as easily as cowboys adapted to the horseless carriage. Can’t stop progress no matter how big a fit ya throw.  

• Haha 1

Says the fucktard that thinks giving more money to politicians will will change climate. 

28 minutes ago, XC.Morrison said:

Actually people hate paying extra tax.  Because of that they’ll find ways to avoid paying it.  The people who hate tax the most would be the first to switch to alternative energy sources and or increase the efficiency of equipment.  That means less CO2 in the atmosphere.  CO2 has been a known greenhouse gas since the 1800’s.  Once the economies of scale kick in, it won’t even be cost effective to pursue fossil fuel based power.  You have to use power to even get fossil fuels out of the ground and yet still more to transport it to where it will be used.  With solar and wind, the energy source is delivered right to where you’ll be using it by nature.  Cars will eventually shift from battery cell based electricity storage to hydrogen.  You really need to chill out; you’ll adapt to the future just as easily as cowboys adapted to the horseless carriage. Can’t stop progress no matter how big a fit ya throw.  

Solar and wind...lol, joke. strip mining in china and batteries for solar, it is not even clean energy you fucking dolt.

17 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

So sick of morons that think we currently have the technology to get off of oil. We do not. 

And the ones who think C02 is a pollutant. :wacko:

cliomi.jpg