• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SSFB

• motonoggin

• Anler

• awful knawful

8 minutes ago, Snake said:

Just got one and I love it.

It'll probably be my next purchase.  Good ol' 1911. What model did you get?

Although....I was perusing the HK catalog the other day too so....

11 hours ago, SSFB said:

65385447_2325978154112053_49147495881218

:lol: 

5 hours ago, Momorider said:

:lmao:

IMG_20190629_034435.jpg.bab1b7c0b2b4f311713d2b15a88daab7.jpg

You know, watching this buffoon rail up on stage, I think his hand follows some imaginary bouncing ball?  Or is it real?  The guy is a complete jag off.

19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Springfield mil-spec Defender.

1911.thumb.jpg.adae91219fc055ca99e6f9d9ce676950.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake said:

The 1911 is just a model number not the release year I am guessing??? They only had revolvers back then not gas powered stuff :dunno: but I basically know nothing about guns :flush: 

Any complete history of the Model 1911 must start a decade or more before that legendary year, and half a world away in the Philippines. It was here in the tropical heat of those islands that US Soldiers and Marines found themselves locked in combat with fanatic local insurgents and the immediate need for an effective, large caliber defensive pistol became sorely evident.

In the wake of the sinking of the battleship USS Maine in Havana harbor in February of 1898, the United States went to war with Spain. Along with an invasion of Cuba, US Navy forces engaged, routed and destroyed the Spanish fleet at Manila Bay in March 1898, in one of the most lop-sided victories in naval history. US ground forces then went ashore to overthrow the Spanish colonial government and occupy the islands.

Continuing the armed resistance they had previously shown against the Spanish, the Moro tribesmen of the southern islands (reportedly fueled by a dangerous combination of religious zealotry, ardent tribalism and potent opiates) engaged the American forces in a long bout of guerrilla warfare that ultimately lasted nearly 15 years. Much of the combat was at close quarters, where the Moros’ long-bladed kris knives were used to lethal effect.

History%201911%20US_Army_officer_training_with_1911_pistol_in_France_circa_1918.jpg

U.S. Army Officer training with a 1911 pistol circa 1918 in France.

At the time US troops were armed with either .30 caliber Krag or Springfield bolt-action rifles and .38 caliber double-action revolvers. While the .30 caliber rifles proved effective in stopping the attackers, the US troop’s handguns demonstrated an unnerving lack of stopping power, resulting in numerous reports of Moro warriors absorbing multiple pistol bullets while they continued to hack away at the Americans. Obviously the US troops’ morale suffered badly in this situation.

The combat pistol situation became so acute that old stocks of Model 1873 Colt revolvers in 45 caliber, many of which dated back to the Plains Indian Wars were returned to active service, where they quickly demonstrated a much better track record of stopping an attacker with one well-placed shot.

The battlefield experience against the Moros resulted in the famous Thompson-LeGarde tests by the US Military in 1904. In these tests a variety of military cartridges of the day were tested for their penetration, ‘stopping ability’ and energy transfer, using both live and dead cattle at the target medium. While somewhat subjective by modern standards, the tests resulted in an official recommendation “…that a bullet, which will have the shock effect and stopping effect at short ranges necessary for a military pistol or revolver, should have a caliber not less than .45."

About this time two new armament technologies were also emerging - smokeless powder and the autoloading pistol. In 1906 the US Military, under the direction of General William Crozier of the Ordinance Department, began evaluating several pistol designs along with the suitability of a new cartridge that was designated the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol (or .45 ACP for short). As these military tests continued over the next several years, the Colt pistol began to emerge as the clear favorite.

The Colt pistol that was submitted for these military tests was designed by John M. Browning. Without a doubt the most innovative and visionary firearms designer of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, John M. Browning earned the lasting reputation as “The Father of Automatic Fire.” Browning’s design genius was not limited to pistols. Among his other military inventions were the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), numerous .30 caliber and .50 caliber Browning machine guns and the legendary Browning Hi Power, the first successful high-capacity autoloading pistol that soon became a worldwide standard for military sidearms.

Based on the short recoil principle of operation, the John M. Browning design for the US Military pistol trials was a magazine fed, single action semi-automatic pistol with both manual and grip safeties that demonstrated a level of durability, simplicity and reliability that no other pistol design of the era could match. In fact, during a 6,000 round test fired over two days in 1910 that was personally supervised by John M. Browning, his sample pistol became so hot that it was simply dunked in a pail of water to cool it for further firing. Browning’s sample reportedly passed the test with no malfunctions.

Since cavalry troops were going to be the primary combat users of the pistol, several specific design features, like the grip safety and lanyard ring, were mandated by the horse soldiers. (Nothing will turn a cavalry trooper into an infantryman faster than shooting his own horse by accident.) The Browning pistol design was formally adopted by the US Army on March 29, 1911, and thus became known officially as the Model 1911. The US Navy and US Marine Corps adopted the Browning-designed pistol in 1913.

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, Zambroski said:

my next purchase

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/1911

6 hours ago, Snake said:

Quality piece!  :bc:

5 hours ago, Momorider said:

Wow 6000 rounds with no malfunctions, insane design from over 100 years ago :guzzle: 

Yup.  A 1911 is really a gun every collector/enthusiast should have at some point in their lives.  My old man has three including the one he carries in Vietnam.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Yuppers!  That was what my old man just added.  Another fine piece for sure!  Gonna go visit my old man in a few months and try it on for size.

:bc: